Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sculpting elephants from life

Go down 
+12
donhill
Kikimalou
HKHollinstone
scot(t)
Geospiza fortis
bjarki12
widukind
arafan
signatus
Noémi
LeeAnn
SUSANNE
16 posters
AuthorMessage
elephas_maximus

Sculpting elephants from life Empty
PostSubject: Sculpting elephants from life   Sculpting elephants from life EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 9:28 am

I'm currently working on a 1:32 scale Indian elephant cow which I started sculpting at the local Safari Park.  I setup a portable workstation at the elephant exhibit and spent the day observing, sculpting and photographing Indian elephants.  

First hand observation is very valuable when making scale models and studying from life is the best source of reference.  Whenever I go to the Zoo I always take hundreds of photos from all angles to use for reference later on.

After blocking in the main forms at the Park I'm refining the model at home now.  I was inspired by the Britains sculptors who would go to London Zoo to sculpt their models from live subjects.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The model with other 1:32 scale figures.
Back to top Go down
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/redelephant
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting elephants from life   Sculpting elephants from life EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 9:35 am

How amazing! That must be great feeling to sculpt elephant while observing real one elephant Very Happy

Oh, maybe one day I will try the same with horses. I bet it is difficult Very Happy During studies we used to sculpt humans and portraits from life. But then the person which we sculpted didn't move. It's of course different with animals Laughing

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting elephants from life   Sculpting elephants from life EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 10:53 am

This is AWESOME Shocked
I wished I was there to watch you working...weren't there a lot of people who stopped and wanted to talk ?

Ana wrote:

....... we used to sculpt humans and portraits from life. But then the person which we sculpted didn't move. It's of course different with animals Laughing

Laughing Laughing I have sometimes tried to draw horses in the field, - they NEVER stop moving geek Laughing

Even if they were asleep, they wake up and begin moving when they see me Rolling Eyes Laughing

LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting elephants from life   Sculpting elephants from life EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 2:07 pm

What a thrill that must be! cheers Great the zoo lets you come sculpt there. Very Happy

Noémi

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting elephants from life   Sculpting elephants from life EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 4:04 pm

Wonderful elephant Andrew! elephant

What's up with your 1:22 3D models?
Back to top Go down
signatus

signatus

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting elephants from life   Sculpting elephants from life EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 5:58 pm

I find it very interesting and exciting this system work. But also very difficult. I warmly congratulate Andrew !!. sunny Applause

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Likaon - Wildlife Models Shop http://www.likaonmodels.com/
My homemade models : www.signatustudio.com
Back to top Go down
http://signatustudio.com
arafan

arafan

Country/State : Brazil

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting elephants from life   Sculpting elephants from life EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 6:41 pm

Interessing! Very Happy And the elephant looks very nice! 
May I can ask, what do the visitors say to that? Very Happy

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting elephants from life   Sculpting elephants from life EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 7:26 pm

Wonderful:)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bjarki12

bjarki12

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting elephants from life   Sculpting elephants from life EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 12:11 am

Looks wonderful so far! And what a great opportunity!
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting elephants from life   Sculpting elephants from life EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 1:40 am

As always, your elephant is excellent! I would like to sculpt from life, too, but the nearest zoo is a few hours away.
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting elephants from life   Sculpting elephants from life EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 6:13 am

Really lovely, Andrew! Thank you for sharing.
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting elephants from life   Sculpting elephants from life EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 8:50 am

How fantastic to have real reference material. Its a gorgeous little sculpt. I wish I could sculpt my models while watching the real animal. It's so much easier seeing how things work in 3D than working from a flat photograph.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting elephants from life   Sculpting elephants from life EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 9:19 am

You had a fantastic inspiration Andrews, I would love to look at you working Very Happy It must be a wonderful experience.
Your new one is already beautiful Applause
Back to top Go down
donhill

donhill

Country/State : Sweden

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting elephants from life   Sculpting elephants from life EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 9:35 am

Wow, a wonderful model as always. How great it would be if one of the major brands could release such a lifelike model.
Back to top Go down
Florian

Florian

Country/State : Belgium , Plateau de Herve

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting elephants from life   Sculpting elephants from life EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 9:40 am

Which is the brand of the elephant to the left of your sculpture on the last picture Andrew?
Have you more pics?

elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting elephants from life   Sculpting elephants from life EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 3:27 am

Thanks, LeeAnn, Miguel, Andreas, Geospiza fortis, scot(t), Christophe, and donhill.   I'm glad you all found this an interesting topic.

Ana wrote:
How amazing! That must be great feeling to sculpt elephant while observing real one elephant  Very Happy

Oh, maybe one day I will try the same with horses. I bet it is difficult Very Happy During studies we used to sculpt humans and portraits from life. But then the person which we sculpted didn't move. It's of course different with animals Laughing

Thanks Anna, I encourage you to try it one day with horses.  I make my armature at home so when I go to the Zoo I just bring clay and can start sculpting right away.  It is difficult at first but you get used to the animal moving around and you can focus on different sections as it moves.

SUSANNE wrote:
This is AWESOME  Shocked
I wished I was there to watch you working...weren't there a lot of people who stopped and wanted to talk ?

Ana wrote:

....... we used to sculpt humans and portraits from life. But then the person which we sculpted didn't move. It's of course different with animals Laughing

Laughing Laughing I have sometimes tried to draw horses in the field, - they NEVER stop moving geek Laughing

Even if they were asleep, they wake up and begin moving when they see me Rolling Eyes Laughing
arafan wrote:
Interessing! Very Happy And the elephant looks very nice!
May I can ask, what do the visitors say to that? Very Happy
Thanks Susanne and Bryan, yes a lot of people stop to watch and ask questions.  Most people find it really interesting and stop to watch the process, some even ask if they can purchase the model on the spot (which I haven't even finished sculpting yet).

Noémi wrote:
Wonderful elephant Andrew! elephant

What's up with your 1:22 3D models?
No new updates for the 1:22 3D models yet, sorry.

HKHollinstone wrote:
How fantastic to have real reference material.  Its a gorgeous little sculpt.  I wish I could sculpt my models while watching the real animal.  It's so much easier seeing how things work in 3D than working from a flat photograph.
Thanks Harriet, the knowledge obtained from even sculpting, drawing or observing common cattle or horses can be applied to wild species such as zebra or eland if you don't have access to a particular species.  At home I usually have video footage playing on loop for reference along with photos as you stated it can be difficult using photos alone.

Florian wrote:
Which is the brand of the elephant to the left of your sculpture on the last picture Andrew?
Have you more pics?
I put some pictures of that model here:https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t9272-g102-african-elephant-cow
Back to top Go down
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/redelephant
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting elephants from life   Sculpting elephants from life EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 9:47 pm

elephas_maximus wrote:
Thanks, LeeAnn, Miguel, Andreas, Geospiza fortis, scot(t), Christophe, and donhill.   I'm glad you all found this an interesting topic.

Ana wrote:
How amazing! That must be great feeling to sculpt elephant while observing real one elephant  Very Happy

Thanks Anna, I encourage you to try it one day with horses.  I make my armature at home so when I go to the Zoo I just bring clay and can start sculpting right away.  It is difficult at first but you get used to the animal moving around and you can focus on different sections as it moves.

Ha! Now, it seems I have a resolution for this year Cool I will try doing it bounce

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Numa
Numa

Country/State : England, UK

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting elephants from life   Sculpting elephants from life EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 12:14 pm

Fantastic to see how you work. A great insight.

I am also jealous of your large heard of Jeol waterbuck! :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting elephants from life   Sculpting elephants from life Empty

Back to top Go down

Sculpting elephants from life
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Customs and Homemade models :: Homemade models-
Jump to: