Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;) Empty
PostSubject: How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;)   How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;) EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 9:36 pm

Since I live in New Zealand obviously the timezone is different and most auctions finish late night or early morning for me when I am Sleep Sleep Sleep 

I looked to bid on an old hare a few days ago and it finished something like 2:00 am! Shocked 
Well I wasn't going to get up at two in the morning No  so I left it, but it strikes me as an interesting thought. How can you bid on an auction when you are asleep? Laughing 

I think it was last year that I did actually get up at 5am to bid on something once, but it seemed a bit pointless to make it a regular thing because I need my sleep and I'd much rather go for a buy now offer then a bidding war Rolling Eyes Wink

The hare didn't sell. So I would've been the only bidder  Mad But theres no way I'm staying up that late or waking up at any hour of the night lol! 
Any thoughts/idea?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;)   How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;) EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 9:41 pm

Though having said that, my brother stays up all hours of the night and sleeps through the day Laughing
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;)   How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;) EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 9:46 pm

Just bid early, and not at the at the end of the auction. Smile

PostSubject: Re: How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;)   How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;) EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 9:54 pm

I've tried that on a lion which didn't sell the first time so I mistakinly thought that nobody was interested. At the last second someone over bid on me and I lost it Sad

I guess I'm used to New Zealand auctions which always add two minutes everytime someone bids to give other people a chance. I forget that ebay doesn't have that  Smile

Anyway, as soon as you bid, people think that its worth it, so they bid aswell.
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;)   How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;) EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 9:58 pm

That's a pain, I don't know that I would be comfortable with an auction adding more time like that! Shocked

PostSubject: Re: How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;)   How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;) EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 10:03 pm

Yeah a lot of people don't like it either Smile

What would you do if an auction you really wanted finished late at night or early morning???
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;)   How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;) EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 10:39 pm

Eternal problem, - but I never wait till the last minute, because I just forget Laughing

LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;)   How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;) EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 10:47 pm

Emma wrote:

What would you do if an auction you really wanted finished late at night or early morning???

When that happens I just bid the highest I'm willing to pay at the latest time I can do it. If I don't win then oh well, there will be more down the road. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;)   How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;) EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 10:57 pm

LeeAnn wrote:
Emma wrote:

When that happens I just bid the highest I'm willing to pay at the latest time I can do it. If I don't win then oh well, there will be more down the road. Very Happy

I guess I'm not used to ebay! I don't know how to place an autobid confused Laughing
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;)   How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;) EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 11:07 pm

If you place a bid on eBay that's higher than the next increment, and the next bidder is below your bid, then it will outbid the other person for you and up your bid. In other words, any bid you put in is automatically an autobid. Wink

QuollMate

Country/State : Denver, Colorado & Prescott, Arizona

PostSubject: Re: How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;)   How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;) EmptyMon Feb 23, 2015 1:01 am

Have you thought of setting an alarm that will wake you 30 minutes in advance? Just in case you ignore the alarm and sleep a bit late you won't lose? That's what I would do. But I usually don't bid on auctions that much.

exclamation MY SEARCHLIST exclamation
exclamation EBAY STORE exclamation
exclamation TRADE LIST exclamation

My Instagrams:

Personal Page
https://www.instagram.com/olympus_593

Concorde Page
https://www.instagram.com/speedbird.concorde

Collectibles Page
https://instagram.com/supersonic_trilobite
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/speedbird.concorde
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;)   How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;) EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 3:53 am

LeeAnn wrote:
Emma wrote:

What Leeann said. I'm new to miniatures collecting, but not eBay. The safest thing to do in this case is (just before you go to bed the night the auction ends if it makes you feel better) just to bid the maximum you're willing to pay and be done. This doesn't mean your maximum will be the highest bid at that moment, the bidding function will bid up to your maximum. For example, let's say something is currently at $2.00 and you're willing to pay $10.00. You bid $10.00. Now it depends on the current bidder's maximum bid. If their maximum bid is $3.00, eBay will place your current bid at $3.50 and you're on top. If their highest bid was $12.00, they're still on top but the bid is now $10.50. If they had bid $3.00 and you're on top at $3.50 but someone else comes along and bids $7.00, you'll still be on top but the bid is now $7.50.  Really, the safest thing is to bid your maximum and leave it, waiting to the end if there's a bidding war makes no one but the seller happy. Competitiveness tends to take over.

If there aren't bids yet, you can always try messaging the seller and see if they'd be willing to put a Buy-It-Now on the item. Doesn't hurt to ask but it may be pricey.

Edit to add I've had luck with an auction I just missed with no bids messaging the seller and asking them to relist. That happened a few months ago and the seller even put it on a buy it now for a lower price than they'd asked in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;)   How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;) Empty

Back to top Go down

How can you bid on an Auction when you are asleep? ;)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Collections and collecting :: Collector's life-
Jump to: