Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround

Go down 
+8
Saarlooswolfhound
sbell
Kikimalou
sauroid
LeeAnn
widukind
Calamity
SUSANNE
12 posters
AuthorMessage
sbell

sbell

Country/State : Canada

Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround Empty
PostSubject: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptySun 15 Mar 2015, 22:53

For all of your consideration--an unknown Safari Ltd figure date stamped 2009, a Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis. Item number 251429 according to a recently found test report. According to the report, an endangered Razorback Sucker Xyrauchen texanus was also tested, but nobody has seen that one (yet!). It is also marked Tempe AZ, which is unusual for Safari, which are often marked Miami FL.

I tried to find out more from the ebay seller where I bought it, but all that he knew was that it came from a garage sale! I reached out to Safari on Facebook, and they took about a week for them to figure it out. It was produced exclusively for the Arizona State government for promotion of endangered animals. So I really shouldn't have one!

As for the figure, it's clearly a male, given it's colour. The larger males are about 7.6 cm long, but the figure is probably about 6 inches (as seen in the photo with the ruler). So it would be roughly 3:1 scale. The real fish is a pretty neat little one (for a cyprinid  Wink), being able to survive extreme environments. Sadly, they are less able to survive human-affected environments, taxonomic changes (the species was divided up over time, so that means they are found in fewer places) and introduced predators, and so are extirpated from much of their former range. Hopefully the figure continues to represent a living animal into the foreseeable future.

Pictures!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And with some people, who are incredibly undersized, even the New Ray fishermen)

Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015, 06:57

Yesterday, Calamity asked us about rare items to collect, I guess you have the perfect answer.

You made a great job here, both for the walkaround and for the research. Applause

The model is incredibly rare and beautiful too, I wish you to find the Razorback Sucker.

I reduced the size of two pics, they were too big for a comfortable looking on STS, I hope you don't mind.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015, 07:39

Incredibly rare and very beautyful  Shocked  

How wonderful that YOU rescued this model from a garage sale, imagine if some child had got it and destroyed it  cheers

That must be the find of the century ! Totally awesome !  Applause Applause

Congratulations , and thankyou very much for sharing flower flower

PS : That last picture lol!

Calamity

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015, 07:51

The fish looks very striking!
Beautiful!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015, 08:25

A beauty but so huge:) Big congratulations!!

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015, 12:22

Wow! Shocked What an incredibly rare model! Huge congrats to you! Very Happy Funny how all the rare things seem to trace back to yard sales Laughing

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015, 12:42

Thanks everyone. I was pretty happy to find it, even before I new how rare it was. I thought maybe I had just missed something in a catalog or something like that.

Best part is that it wasn't even all that expensive!

And yes, it's okay that the picture were re-sized; not sure why some came in bigger than others.

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
sauroid

sauroid

Country/State : usa

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015, 12:57

this is an awesome find.
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015, 16:25

I'm pretty happy with it!

And I had mentioned evidence of a Razorback sucker as well.

This link will pop open with a PDF for the testing report for the two Arizona models. Meaning that someone, somewhere, might have a razorback. They are kind of ugly fish, but it would make a cool figure!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015, 19:28

Ugly I don't know, at least it has an odd looking Shocked  Never heard about such fish. Good luck Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015, 20:26

Kikimalou wrote:
Ugly I don't know, at least it has an odd looking Shocked  Never heard about such fish. Good luck Very Happy

Razorback suckers are not pretty fish. The Desert pupfish is much prettier.

Although, honestly, I have always had an affinity for scary and odd-looking fish, so that sucker needs to show up for me someday!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015, 21:03

I love toy archaelology! Laughing It is very interesting when we know that there are some really rare and unknown collectibles and you're very lucky owning one of these "special" figures. Very Happy
Some other interesting points, "Tempe AZ", as you know, is a reference to Tempe city, Arizona. Home of the known company of action toys called McFarlane Toys . Very Happy
Arizona State government for promotion of endangered animals, I think here is the key to you try to find the other fish and some more figures if they exist. Have you ever contacted them?
I have another question, is the manufacturing typical to Safari, maybe their Incredible Creatures collection?
Many thanks for sharing, that was really great to know. Very Happy

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015, 21:28

It's similar to an IC figure, but quite a bit bigger than most of their fish and such, more on par with the bass. It has the same hollow feel.

I know someone that worked for the AZ government around that time but he wasn't aware of these fish. Maybe they never went past a few prototypes? Because that would be really expensive to produce. I know that currently, Safari requires an order of something like 5000 units for special orders, but even when I was in touch with Safari they didn't know about it, so who knows what happened.

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptyTue 17 Mar 2015, 02:16

Huge congrats on a great model!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptyThu 19 Mar 2015, 00:01

sbell wrote:
It's similar to an IC figure, but quite a bit bigger than most of their fish and such, more on par with the bass. It has the same hollow feel.

I know someone that worked for the AZ government around that time but he wasn't aware of these fish. Maybe they never went past a few prototypes? Because that would be really expensive to produce. I know that currently, Safari requires an order of something like 5000 units for special orders, but even when I was in touch with Safari they didn't know about it, so who knows what happened.

Thanks for your reply, it is really interesting and intringuing! Very Happy

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptySat 28 May 2016, 08:09

Is it from a serie of 5 fishes? I saw this figurine together with 4 other fishes.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptySat 28 May 2016, 13:05

widukind wrote:
Is it from a serie of 5 fishes? I saw this figurine together with 4 other fishes.
I know that a razor back sucker was also made, but they were never actually released to the public for sale.

And yes, I do remember seeing the set of 5 on Aliexpress:

But 1) It would not have been an official/legal release and 2) It was no longer available when I went to get it... Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptySat 28 May 2016, 19:43

It's the first time I see this set of fishes...
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptySat 28 May 2016, 20:44

Bowhead Whale wrote:

Yesterday was the first time to see that pic. I found it on a online auction.

Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptySat 28 May 2016, 22:06

widukind wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:

I'm pretty sure the online ones are knockoffs/bootlegs/unoffical copies. The one I got was from a short-run series made for the Arizona State government.

I'm pretty sure I will get the 5 fish, and the I'll know if they have markings of any kind!

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptySun 29 May 2016, 06:11

sbell wrote:
widukind wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:

I'm pretty sure the online ones are knockoffs/bootlegs/unoffical copies. The one I got was from a short-run series made for the Arizona State government.

I'm pretty sure I will get the 5 fish, and the I'll know if they have markings of any kind!

I could believe it is the same that heard by other things. The brand produce in china and later the producer produce any more without the brand.

Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptyTue 31 May 2016, 19:08

widukind wrote:
sbell wrote:
widukind wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:

I could believe it is the same that heard by other things. The brand produce in china and later the producer produce any more without the brand.

It wouldn't be the first time. I personnally own two Styracosaurus figures that were made from the exact same mold. Only, one is marked "Imperial 1985, Made in China", while the other one is only marked "Made In China". If it happened with Imperial molds, it can also happen with Safari ltd molds.
Back to top Go down
barracudacat

barracudacat

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptySun 04 Dec 2016, 16:58

Wonderful fish! I wish this line were more widespread since these are rather rare and interesting species. I haven't heard of this one, but I have heard of razorback suckers. Hopefully, they'll eventually release that one as well.

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptySun 04 Dec 2016, 17:13

barracudacat wrote:
Wonderful fish!  I wish this line were more widespread since these are rather rare and interesting species.  I haven't heard of this one, but I have heard of razorback suckers.  Hopefully, they'll eventually release that one as well.

I know that these--and a few other rare SW species--are available on various Chinese sites as bootlegs, but I have never heard of anyone successfully getting them.

Back to top Go down
JamesPanda

JamesPanda

Country/State : India

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround EmptyWed 28 Dec 2016, 07:01

excellent find !! and good information on the pupfish , safari ltd has quality gems in their line

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround   Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround Empty

Back to top Go down

Safari Ltd Special Release Desert Pupfish Cyprinodon macularis walkaround
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Major brands :: Safari Ltd. :: Safari Ltd walkarounds and reviews-
Jump to: