Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)

Go down 
+6
Tarunyada
Ana
JonasV
Kikimalou
widukind
costicuba
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ikeashark

ikeashark

Country/State : United Kingdom

IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) Empty
PostSubject: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 4:00 pm

Palomino stallion from Schleich Andalusian stallion. This is my first custom so I know there's a lot I could improve on, but I'm not sure specifically how to. I don't think I've ever painted such a big model, my only experience is from Warhammer painting. I used acrylics here, and he'll be sealed in a matte varnish tomorrow.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

About halfway through my first try I had to give up and strip the paint (got most of it off) before trying again. So this is technically my second attempt.

Last edited by ikeashark on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://pandroids.tumblr.com/
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 4:02 pm

Well done, I think he looks great! Applause I love palominos, so I really like the new colours Very Happy

And a huge hurray for Warhammer! cheers

Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 4:10 pm

Well done ikeashark :)
For first repaint it is realy realy great Applause
I start to make repaints since last year...and until today ,I  improved a lot, my skills :)
Perhaps, will be a good for your improvement, if you watch the repaints of the other members here.
Especially the repainted horses..we have so talented people here :)
You can lurn a lot form them :)))

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 4:30 pm

Ahh the good old Andy!

Your photos were a little large, so I resized them for you. Very Happy 800px is good cheers

Laughing Laughing Most people start with curio scale models and complain about painting smaller models, not the other way around Laughing Not bad for your first try!

What medium are you working in? Acrylics? I would water down the paint more so you don't get those brushstrokes. Try to blend that muzzle a little more and add shading to the model. Always always always work from a reference. The hooves should be a lighter color as well.

Check out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] tutorial for painting the eyes Very Happy

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 5:26 pm

Nice!

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 5:43 pm

He is beautyful cheers

I love palominos also.
They look more gentle than other colours, even if I know it is superstition, and they probably aren't Wink

As LeeAnn says, the hooves should perhaps be a little bit more white/greay ( just a little), - my Palominos have had the same colour hooves as chestnuts do, - but he can have had his hooves greased for showing , of course Very Happy

ikeashark

ikeashark

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 5:50 pm

Thank you everyone! Palominos are my favourites in terms of colour, though I have a real soft spot for all kinds of paints.

Sorry about the huge pictures, I wasn't sure how to resize them without distorting it.

LeeAnn, would it work if I painted the first couple layers darker and then worked up to light so that all the nooks and crannies are darker than the rest? or is it better to start light and add shading gradually?

I think most of my mistakes (the thick paint and the lack of blending on the muzzle) were because I was a bit impatient! I ended up forgetting to look at my reference when I was doing the muzzle and hooves... I tried to use that tutorial for the eyes, but even my fine brush was too big or the paint was too thick and I ended up getting blotches outside the eye. Guess I just need practice Smile
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 5:58 pm

ikeashark wrote:
Sorry about the huge pictures, I wasn't sure how to resize them without distorting it.

LeeAnn, would it work if I painted the first couple layers darker and then worked up to light so that all the nooks and crannies are darker than the rest? or is it better to start light and add shading gradually?

I think most of my mistakes (the thick paint and the lack of blending on the muzzle) were because I was a bit impatient! I ended up forgetting to look at my reference when I was doing the muzzle and hooves... I tried to use that tutorial for the eyes, but even my fine brush was too big or the paint was too thick and I ended up getting blotches outside the eye. Guess I just need practice Smile

The photos are no big deal, don't worry about it. Wink I just GIMP to resize my photos.

Start light and make your base coat, then do details. It's very hard to work from a dark base on a light color. I work in pastels, so on a palomino I would start with a very pale yellow and gradually add darker pigments. Assuming you're working in acrylics, it's the same principle. Lots and lots of very thin layers. Very Happy It's easy to get impatient, I do it on every single horse! Eventually you begin to realize that rushing isn't going to make the horse look any better when it's done, so just slow yourself down.

Oh yes, practice definitely makes a big difference! Smile My first few weren't very good Laughing

ikeashark

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 12:56 am

I've changed the thread title, since I'll be updating this thread with my new customs.

This is a Sabino Clydesdale, customised from a Papo 2004 Clydesdale stallion. I haven't done any shading on him because I'm not quite sure at the moment how to do it without messing up the colouring. My dad suggested using a wash paint (flesh wash, from warhammer paints) but I'm not sure, I'm really wary of ruining him!

Sorry for the bad photos, the lighting in this room is really bad.

Unfortunately he has a few scratches along his body which are still visible, and I think he belonged to a child beforehand, so he looked like this before I painted him:

Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 1:10 am

Nice work on this one! Sabino is hard to pull off, and you did a nice job on him. Very Happy

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 7:26 am

Nice repaints Ikeasharks Applause
Back to top Go down
JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 12:31 pm

Hello, I've not seen you before! Very Happy Welcome to the forum!
Another artist here it seems.. Love these guys!

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
ikeashark

ikeashark

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 12:31 am

Thank you both!

I've now put matte varnish on both those models and even the palomino looks a lot better, less rough. He feels nicer as well!

I'm currently waiting for a couple models to arrive in the post, and then I've got..5? planned to customise.

I should really name some of these horses, too!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 9:55 am

Nice again!

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 10:20 am

It is great to see how beautyfully you saved this lovely, long-retired model Applause

Not only did you make a wonderful job of painting a rare Sabino and give him a new "life". He always looked a bit sad, I think, - now he looks strong and proud cheers

I my opinion it would be a darned shame to make shades on him Shocked
He is so great as he is .
I can't repaint, but if even LeeAnn says it is hard to make such a fine sabino, I believe her !!!!
Please, please leave him as he is now bounce Very Happy

ikeashark

ikeashark

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 12:40 am

Thank you! I'm leaving him as he is, I'm glad you think I did him justice! I thought he had a really sad expression as well, which was a shame.

Currently got a whole line of models sitting on my desk ready to be primed and painted :)

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 8:37 am

It looks like you will have plenty to do Very Happy

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 2:03 pm

Very nice repaints Ikeashark! cheers Congratulations!!! cheers

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 10:26 am

I see some pretty nice models ready to be repainted! exciting to see what you're gonna do cheers bounce Very Happy

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
ikeashark

ikeashark

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 7:09 pm

Finished another custom! Schleich shetland gelding, originally:

now:

Coarse fur sure is a struggle! Paint doesn't like getting in the little nooks and crannies. I'm getting some gloss varnish in the post in the next couple days so I'll put a little of that over his eyes and nostrils (and on the other cms I've done).

Going to try and sell this little guy and a few of the upcoming ones :)
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 8:27 pm

He looks like the SE cheers Cute!

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 8:29 pm

LeeAnn wrote:
He looks like the SE cheers

I thought the same Shocked

But well done, he looks very cute indeed Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 11:04 pm

He is wonderful cheers
Smoky-black ( "Black-palomino") , isn't he ? Applause

ikeashark

ikeashark

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 11:15 pm

LeeAnn wrote:
He looks like the SE cheers Cute!

Thanks! I didn't even realise that version existed until after I'd finished this one, oops
Back to top Go down
ikeashark

ikeashark

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 11:18 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
He is wonderful cheers
Smoky-black ( "Black-palomino") , isn't  he ? Applause

Thank you! I think the original is smoky black, but I just customised him to chestnut
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)   IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015) Empty

Back to top Go down

IkeaShark's Customs (Updated 15th April 2015)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next