Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Steller's Sea Cow Figurines

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines Empty
PostSubject: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 3:21 pm

I was working on the Steller's sea cow page on ToyAnimal.info but I could only find one model: the Albert Heijn Steller's sea cow from the Extinct Animals series (this). So I took a quick look at the internet for other figurines and I actually found 3(!).

First, I found two photographs on Flickr (this and this). The comments say:

Flickr wrote:
Mystery Museum Collection. Clawmark Toys USA

So I let Google search for this Clawmark Toys USA and I found this site. When I searched for 'Steller's sea cow', I found nothing, but I had some hits when I searched for 'Mystery Museum Collection' (here). Okay, great, but no sea cows. I Googled a little further when I found this page. Wonderful! But wait, what??

XL-Shop.com wrote:
Important note about the variation of this product: The packages are sealed and the items are randomly packed. Because of this, it is impossible for us to handle requests for specific figures and we cannot promise which figure you will receive in a box.

Ah, so that's not going to happen. When searching for 'Mystery Museum Collection' on eBay I had some hits, but only other figurines from this series. So it looks like the only way to get this sea cow is by having some patience (which is necessary in the life of an animal toy collector) and to check eBay regularly.

Second, I found this post on the AnimalToyForum which had this photo on it. It shows the Steller's sea cow made by Albert Heijn and another sea cow-ish figurine, which, by the looks of it, could be from some Kinder Surprise eggs series/animal puzzle series which you can buy in museums and such. I have no idea which brand it is and, besides, I'm not 100% sure if it is a Steller's sea cow (but it looks like one, doesn't it?).

Thirdly, I found this blog with this photo on it, which says the following:

Dottie wrote:
Not all the extinct critters included were prehistoric. There were 15 animals included: (..), Steller’s Sea Cow (large floating mammal, extinct in 1768), (..).

In this blog entry in particular, she is telling us about a Groovy Tube Book, named Gone Extinct, which includes a fact book, a game board (called Journey to Extinction Island) and 15 collectible figurines. It can be seen here on Amazon.

So there are at least 4 Steller's sea cow figurines, hurray! I have no idea what to do with this information, for I have none of the last 3 figurines, but I just wanted to share this with you. If you know any other Steller's sea cow figurines, please let me know! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 3:34 pm

I think i have one and i will look. But i am not sure.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 3:36 pm

widukind wrote:
I think i have one and i will look. But i am not sure.

Thanks in advance, Andreas Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 3:37 pm

And there's this model in the Natural History Museum in London Laughing

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 4:23 pm

I cant find the figurine in this moment but i have this old pic from me (Planet Earth / Playvisions)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 4:04 pm

widukind wrote:
I cant find the figurine in this moment but i have this old pic from me (Planet Earth / Playvisions)

Thanks Andreas, what a lovely model! cheers

Back to top Go down
Blublub

Blublub

Country/State : Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 12:45 pm

Thanks for the link to that book/figure set. I've had one for a long time but long since lost the book part and wasn't sure what figures went with it. Here's a closer view of the Stellar's Sea Cow, It's pretty unremarkable - the Playvisions one Andreas posted looks much nicer.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 12:59 pm

Nice figurine too, i also have a few figurines from thiis book serie. I think the flying dragon is the most interesting figurine there because it is the only figurine of this specie that i know.

Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 1:04 pm

Blublub wrote:
Thanks for the link to that book/figure set. I've had one for a long time but long since lost the book part and wasn't sure what figures went with it. Here's a closer view of the Stellar's Sea Cow, It's pretty unremarkable - the Playvisions one Andreas posted looks much nicer.

You're welcome for the link and thank you very much for the photograph! I'd love to have the book; it has such lovely figurines with it - with some interesting species.

Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 11:55 pm

Maybe everyone else forgot, but I'm still on search for Steller's sea cows  study

We now know the following Steller's sea cow figurines:

• Albert Heijn's from the Extinct Animals series, 2004
  • Clawmark Toys' from the Great Mystery Museum Collections, series 1, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
  • Yowies AUS' from the Forgotten Friends Series B, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
  • Groovy Tube Book's from the Gone Extinct book
  • Play Visions' from some sort extinct animals series

Maybe you remember this from my first post:

Tarunyada wrote:
Second, I found this post on the AnimalToyForum which had this photo on it. (..)

If you look at the other photographs in the topic on the AnimalToyForum, you see some cartoonish animal figurines with big heads. With help from Susanne, I found this. It shows a line of Japanese capsule toys, all extinct animals, including some very interesting species. But, of course, also a Steller's sea cow! The pictures are a bit weird, as if they're from some sort of leaflet. But when I continued my research, I found this this site. I have no idea what the chattering man is telling, for the page if full of strange symbols instead of words, so I can't use Google Translate to know what he's telling me. But the sea cow figurine you see on this page is definitely the one from Susanne's link! Here he is:

Look, what a jolly fellow <3 But I still don't know what brand this cartoonish series is. So if anyone knows more, please, let me know! Or if you know any other Steller's sea cow figurines, of course Wink

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 1:14 am

We haven't forgot, I guess. Steller sea cows are not actually the easiest creatures to be found in toy shape. That's a collection of patience and research.
I e-mailed the Japanese Toy Museum witht he picture of the bigheaded sea cow, the chance of receiving a reply is little, I guess but my browser translator was not working there. Sad

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 10:24 am

Roger wrote:
We haven't forgot, I guess. Steller sea cows are not actually the easiest creatures to be found in toy shape. That's a collection of patience and research.
I e-mailed the Japanese Toy Museum witht he picture of the bigheaded sea cow, the chance of receiving a reply is little, I guess but my browser translator was not working there. Sad

Haha I understand, and I don't blame anyone if they did. It's just that I'm kind of obsessed with Sirenia xD Some people count sheep when they're trying to sleep, I count manatees. No just kiding, but I really like them. But there are so many great and wonderful species out there, and interesting animal figurines to be collected. But I always hope to find more Sirenia (and in this case) Steller's sea cow figurines. The fact that there are so little of this extinct giant makes it even more exciting every time I find a new model!

Thanks a lot for e-mailing them! I hope they'll reply, but thanks a lot for trying anyway.
I first thought it was strange that my transloter didn't work on that page, but when I looked closer, they're just all symbols and some random letters. Not surprising that my translator isn't working, for it aren't even words!

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 11:04 am

I never heard Clawmark toys before

Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 11:08 am

widukind wrote:

You can find Clawmark Toys here. But it looks like they're more of a webshop than an actual brand. They're specialized in Godzilla stuff. But everytime I search for the Great Mystery Museum Steller's sea cow, it's marked as Clawmark's. I found one site which states that it's from Medicom Toy.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 11:14 am

Tarunyada wrote:
widukind wrote:

You can find Clawmark Toys here. But it looks like they're more of a webshop than an actual brand. They're specialized in Godzilla stuff. But everytime I search for the Great Mystery Museum Steller's sea cow, it's marked as Clawmark's. I found one site which states that it's from Medicom Toy.

Thank you for this information :) So no actually wildlife models?

Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 11:19 am

widukind wrote:
Tarunyada wrote:
widukind wrote:

Thank you for this information :) So no actually wildlife models?

You're welcome! No, just 'museum mysteries'. They have some other animals, but these are more cryptozoology-animals. The Steller's sea cow is the only one that did exist (as far as we know for sure, of course alien ). They also made a jackalope, giant kangaroo, thunderbird, Yeti, etc.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 2:39 pm

Tarunyada wrote:
Roger wrote:

Haha I understand, and I don't blame anyone if they did. It's just that I'm kind of obsessed with Sirenia xD Some people count sheep when they're trying to sleep, I count manatees. No just kiding, but I really like them. But there are so many great and wonderful species out there, and interesting animal figurines to be collected. But I always hope to find more Sirenia (and in this case) Steller's sea cow figurines. The fact that there are so little of this extinct giant makes it even more exciting every time I find a new model!

Thanks a lot for e-mailing them! I hope they'll reply, but thanks a lot for trying anyway.
I first thought it was strange that my transloter didn't work on that page, but when I looked closer, they're just all symbols and some random letters. Not surprising that my translator isn't working, for it aren't even words!

Julie, they kindly reply and here is the relevant part of their message:
- sea cow figure is one of the works of the "fight extinct animal 4" of clay work of Ajyunosin Miyakawa.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They also wished good luck! Wink

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 2:41 pm

Roger wrote:
Tarunyada wrote:
Roger wrote:

Julie, they kindly reply and here is the relevant part of their message:
- sea cow figure is one of the works of the "fight extinct animal 4" of clay work of Ajyunosin Miyakawa.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They also wished good luck! Wink

Roger, this is wonderful! cheers Thank you so much for taking the time to e-mail them. Now I can continue my research and, hopefully, I can buy them somewhere! Thanks a lot! sunny

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 3:13 pm

Tarunyada wrote:
Roger, this is wonderful! cheers  Thank you so much for taking the time to e-mail them. Now I can continue my research and, hopefully, I can buy them somewhere! Thanks a lot! sunny

Glad to help! flower

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 11:41 pm

I'D LOVE TO HAVE ONE!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steller's Sea Cow Figurines   7 - Steller's Sea Cow Figurines Empty

Back to top Go down

Steller's Sea Cow Figurines
Page 1 of 1