Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Soldier identification

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Cscshop2013

Country/State : Hampshire, England

Soldier identification Empty
PostSubject: Soldier identification   Soldier identification EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 10:33 am

Hi
I was wondering if anyone knew who made this and when.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

free upload

Not Seen this type of shaped base before. Arms move together.

Regards

Nick
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Soldier identification   Soldier identification EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 10:50 am

What a charming model cheers

DaveScriv

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Soldier identification   Soldier identification EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 11:08 am

It was made by the US based (132nd Street, New York City) company Comet, who were in business circa 1938/39 to 1941, then the war intervened, and they continued post-war under a new brand name (which I think you already know), Authenticast, later also with a factory in Ireland.
This figure is from one of their American War of Independence sets.
The odd shaped base is a Comet products characteristic.

You need to buy a copy of the book 'Collecting American-Made Toy Soldiers' by (the recently deceased) Richard O'Brien. It is a huge 717 page, A4 sized paperback, and well worth its usual modest price.

Last edited by DaveScriv on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cscshop2013

Country/State : Hampshire, England

PostSubject: Re: Soldier identification   Soldier identification EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 12:23 pm

Many thanks. To be honest I was going with a French maker. Wrong direction. Starting to build up my reference books as we speak and will look out for the one above. Newest reference book to my collection is 'The Great Book of Britains' by James Opie. My borrowed copy was very good so made the outlay for my own.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Soldier identification   Soldier identification EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 4:13 pm

Congratulations,  a interesting figurine

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Soldier identification   Soldier identification EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 6:58 pm

widukind wrote:
Congratulations,  a interesting figurine

That's where a lot of the interest is in collecting vintage figures, especially unmarked unknown ones.

A lot of them are like this, frankly a bit rubbish in both modelling and paintwork, but it is "the thrill of the chase" researching who made it, when, where, and in some cases, "What is it supposed to be?"
In this case a light infantryman under the command of American General Lafayette in the 18th century War of Independence.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soldier identification   Soldier identification Empty

Back to top Go down

Soldier identification
Page 1 of 1