Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Breyer Elephant?

Go down 
+6
Jennypurr
Drakulka
LeeAnn
Tarunyada
SUSANNE
pipsxlch
10 posters
AuthorMessage
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Breyer Elephant?   Breyer Elephant? EmptySat Sep 12, 2015 4:16 am

I found what I'm 99% sure is a Breyer elephant at a thrift store today. Right plastic by feel, (not going to see if it has the right smell, it's dirty), paint job shaded like they did their models way back when, it's even greyish plastic (where it's bare on the bottoms of feet, mouth, and tusk) like I remember from my childhood. It just doesn't have the stamp on its inside thigh.
I do somewhere have another one, I don't know where it is though to compare them. This new one is right size/weight/sculpture as I remember, and from looking at pictures online. I *think* my old one has a stamp though. It also was off white resin instead of greyish. (it was a fleamarket find approx. 20 years ago)
So does anyone know if they were made without stamps? Sorry I don't have access to a camera at this time.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breyer Elephant?   Breyer Elephant? EmptySat Sep 12, 2015 8:54 am

Wow ! So Breyer made an elephant Shocked

What a fantastic thrift store find cheers

Of course you checked the net Wink
Seing it was made several times, as early as 1956 and as late as 2000, the stamps or lack of stamps may well have changed over the years scratch

But Let's se what LeeAnn can find out Wink

I look forawrd to see it when you get a camera bounce Very Happy

Tarunyada

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breyer Elephant?   Breyer Elephant? EmptySat Sep 12, 2015 10:23 am

Nice catch! cheers Congratulations Applause

Great chance you've already checked this out, but that's the link to the elephant at Identify Your Breyer. Maybe it can help you out?

I'd love to see some photographs of your elephant(s)!

Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breyer Elephant?   Breyer Elephant? EmptySat Sep 12, 2015 8:11 pm

Julie has the right link there - see if he's on there! Very Happy

I'm not well versed in the other animal molds, so I don't know if these didn't have stamps. It's possibly they didn't, but it's also possible you might have a copy.

pipsxlch

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breyer Elephant?   Breyer Elephant? EmptyThu Sep 17, 2015 2:43 am

That's the site I found! It just doesn't give much info- only photos, colors and years. Sad So he's still a mystery. I know I've seen known real Breyers without a stamp before, so it can happen... wish I could get home to look more for my old elephant.
I was able to borrow a camera and get this picture.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breyer Elephant?   Breyer Elephant? EmptyThu Sep 17, 2015 9:06 am

What an awesome model !!!! cheers
He sure looks like the Breyer one, - and has none of the flaws that copies usually have Very Happy
He also has the most beautyful colour of all the variations !

How big is he ?

LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breyer Elephant?   Breyer Elephant? EmptyThu Sep 17, 2015 1:57 pm

Looks like you have the earliest version Very Happy Unless the inside of the mouth is pink?

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breyer Elephant?   Breyer Elephant? EmptyThu Sep 17, 2015 7:47 pm

Looks like a wonderful model cheers

Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breyer Elephant?   Breyer Elephant? EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 4:36 am

No pink in the mouth, the spray didn't coat in there well so it's actually kind of a dingy slightly lighter than the body grey (the resin is pale greyish). I was wondering if it was a '70s model, since I remember the resin being that color sometimes when I was very small.
It looked like someone donated an elephant collection to the thrift store. Up here where my brother in law lives, it's retiree central; I think the median age in this town is listed as something like 55. So probably someone died and their heirs didn't care to keep it. Sad Other elephant pieces there looked quite old; there were several that were Japan made, of a hard (Bakelite like?) yellowish plastic. Don't think anything like that's been made for decades. Certainly this thrift store has many things dating to the '50s and '60s.
Back to top Go down
Drakulka

Drakulka

Country/State : Bulgaria

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breyer Elephant?   Breyer Elephant? EmptyWed Sep 23, 2015 1:08 pm

If there is anyone interested in one of these, Utterly Horses (UK Model horse store) are closing down and selling off their stock on a market nights - they have one available for sale. Here is the link to it [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Note that the Market Night won't be opened before Friday evening at a certain time. If you want to purchase it, you'll have to wait until then Wink Make sure to read the rules in the album as well. Razz
Hope that helped!

Jennypurr

Country/State : Tennessee, USA

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breyer Elephant?   Breyer Elephant? EmptyTue Jul 24, 2018 2:24 am

LeeAnn wrote:
Julie has the right link there - see if he's on there! Very Happy

I'm not well versed in the other animal molds, so I don't know if these didn't have stamps. It's possibly they didn't, but it's also possible you might have a copy.

A lot of the oldest Breyer molds didn't have stamps.  I have a Breyer elephant and one of the Donkeys, but neither have the mold mark stamp.  Some of the oldest horse molds also have no mold stamps.  The ones I know about are the Western Horse, Western Pony, Racehorse, Fury Prancer, and the Western Prancer.  And I checked; my glossy alabaster PAM & PAF also have no Breyer stamps.

Just for the record - I've been collecting model horses and animals for 61 yrs.
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breyer Elephant?   Breyer Elephant? EmptyTue Jul 24, 2018 3:25 am

Jennypurr wrote:

-----------------------------------------

I would like to see photos of your collection. please.

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breyer Elephant?   Breyer Elephant? EmptyTue Jul 24, 2018 6:53 am

landrover wrote:
Jennypurr wrote:

I agree :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Jennypurr

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breyer Elephant?   Breyer Elephant? EmptyWed Jul 25, 2018 8:35 am

landrover wrote:
Jennypurr wrote:

Soon as I figure out how to do so, I'll be glad to post a few photos.  My problem is, all of my photos are in our Picasa program and not online anywhere.  The only way I've successfully sent photos is via email.
Back to top Go down
75senta75

75senta75

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breyer Elephant?   Breyer Elephant? EmptyWed Jul 25, 2018 9:09 am

Jennypurr wrote:
The only way I've successfully sent photos is via email.

I also would like to see some of your photos. You can send me some photos by email and I can
post them here for you if you like it. Send you PM.

75senta75

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breyer Elephant?   Breyer Elephant? EmptyThu Jul 26, 2018 10:10 am

Jennypurr wrote:
Ah, thanks! I'll look them up tomorrow. I have to go to bed as it's after 3 am here in east Tennessee, USA.

Fine, wish you a good night, here in Germany it´s now 10:00 am. sunny

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breyer Elephant?   Breyer Elephant? EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 8:06 pm

pipsxlch wrote:

It looked like someone donated an elephant collection to the thrift store. Up here where my brother in law lives, it's retiree central; I think the median age in this town is listed as something like 55. So probably someone died and their heirs didn't care to keep it. Sad Other elephant pieces there looked quite old; there were several that were Japan made, of a hard (Bakelite like?) yellowish plastic. Don't think anything like that's been made for decades. Certainly this thrift store has many things dating to the '50s and '60s.

If you get back to that store, check the hard yellowish plastic one for a mark which looks like a clover leaf.  If it has such a mark, I'd love to add it to my collection!

Do you recall if any of the elephants were made of either porcelain or ceramic?  Not all of those would have been made in Japan.
Back to top Go down
Jennypurr

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breyer elphant?   Breyer Elephant? EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 9:33 pm

[quote="SUSANNE"]Wow ! So Breyer made an elephant Shocked

Breyer made quite a few non-equines!  Lots of cattle, a pig, dogs, cats, a moose, a bear, a bighorn ram, a pronghorn, deer, a buffalo (bison), mountain goat, a fox, a cougar, an elk, an alpine goat, 2 owls, 2 rabbits, a rooster,  a sheep, an eagle, a llama, and a swan.  You can find photos of all of them plus the horses here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breyer Elephant?   Breyer Elephant? EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 10:38 pm

75senta75 wrote:
Jennypurr wrote:
Ah, thanks!  I'll look them up tomorrow.  I have to go to bed as it's after 3 am here in east Tennessee, USA.

Fine, wish you a good night, here in Germany it´s now 10:00 am. sunny

With the very precious colaboration of Yvette there is now a topic dedicated to Jennypurr's collection. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Very Happy

Breyer Elephant? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breyer Elephant?   Breyer Elephant? Empty

Back to top Go down

Breyer Elephant?
Page 1 of 1