Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Nature Technicolour Clear Rivers in Japan No. 08 - Kajika/Japanese Fluvial Sculpin (Cottus pollux)

Go down 
+2
SUSANNE
d_golem
6 posters
AuthorMessage
d_golem

Country/State : Indonesia

Nature Technicolour Clear Rivers in Japan No. 08 - Kajika/Japanese Fluvial Sculpin (Cottus pollux) Empty
PostSubject: Nature Technicolour Clear Rivers in Japan No. 08 - Kajika/Japanese Fluvial Sculpin (Cottus pollux)   Nature Technicolour Clear Rivers in Japan No. 08 - Kajika/Japanese Fluvial Sculpin (Cottus pollux) EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 6:19 pm

Moving on to number 8, it's the Kajika or Japanese Fluvial Sculpin. The genus Cottus is the predominant sculpin genus found in freshwater, and I personally have a soft spot for any benthic, goby-looking fish because they seem to have more character than any pelagic fish, especially the way they carefully hop around the substrate, it's like you can hear their little brains thinking as they are carefully consider every move they make. Very endearing.

Not much I can tell about the Kajika, except I've read a really interesting Japanese old fishing manga (Tsurikichi Sanpei, anyone knows?) where there was a particular chapter about a unique way to hunt Kajika. What Sanpei (the titular character of the manga) did was he went into the shallow streams where the Kajika lives in the middle of the night, carrying a lantern/light, a 2 feet-long thin fork, and a floating rectangular wooden box with a glass bottom, where he used the box as some kind of periscope to clearly see the bottom of the stream from above water. He then slowly and stealthily wade along the stream until he sees a Kajika resting on the substrate through the glass bottom of the box, and then using the fork deftly pierced the fish. No catch and release here, this was fishing for food.

As always with this particular series, attention was paid to the minutest of details. Colours are very realistic, both on the body and the flecks on the fins. The fins even have the correct number of rays for this particular species. Even to the way shape the curve of the body and the slight angles on the dorsal and caudal fins makes this bottom-dwelling model look dynamic.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Nature Technicolour Clear Rivers in Japan No. 08 - Kajika/Japanese Fluvial Sculpin (Cottus pollux) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nature Technicolour Clear Rivers in Japan No. 08 - Kajika/Japanese Fluvial Sculpin (Cottus pollux)   Nature Technicolour Clear Rivers in Japan No. 08 - Kajika/Japanese Fluvial Sculpin (Cottus pollux) EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 6:35 pm

WOW !!!! What a magnificent model affraid

I would not be surprised if it moves and turns the eyes round to look at me bounce Applause Applause

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Nature Technicolour Clear Rivers in Japan No. 08 - Kajika/Japanese Fluvial Sculpin (Cottus pollux)   Nature Technicolour Clear Rivers in Japan No. 08 - Kajika/Japanese Fluvial Sculpin (Cottus pollux) EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 6:37 pm

Beautieful fish figurine :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Nature Technicolour Clear Rivers in Japan No. 08 - Kajika/Japanese Fluvial Sculpin (Cottus pollux)   Nature Technicolour Clear Rivers in Japan No. 08 - Kajika/Japanese Fluvial Sculpin (Cottus pollux) EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 9:44 pm

Beautiful figurine again and excellent topic about fishes, manga and accuracy Applause thank you cheers
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Nature Technicolour Clear Rivers in Japan No. 08 - Kajika/Japanese Fluvial Sculpin (Cottus pollux)   Nature Technicolour Clear Rivers in Japan No. 08 - Kajika/Japanese Fluvial Sculpin (Cottus pollux) EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 10:43 pm

It seems perfect and your presentation give surely justice to it! Very Happy

sbell

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Nature Technicolour Clear Rivers in Japan No. 08 - Kajika/Japanese Fluvial Sculpin (Cottus pollux)   Nature Technicolour Clear Rivers in Japan No. 08 - Kajika/Japanese Fluvial Sculpin (Cottus pollux) EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 10:07 pm

It's a funny fish--the Japanese call it "God of the Mountain" although I do not know why! Overall sculpins are a neat group of fish.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nature Technicolour Clear Rivers in Japan No. 08 - Kajika/Japanese Fluvial Sculpin (Cottus pollux)   Nature Technicolour Clear Rivers in Japan No. 08 - Kajika/Japanese Fluvial Sculpin (Cottus pollux) Empty

Back to top Go down

Nature Technicolour Clear Rivers in Japan No. 08 - Kajika/Japanese Fluvial Sculpin (Cottus pollux)
Page 1 of 1