Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)

Go down 
+5
NightLioness
Florian
SUSANNE
Ana
Tarunyada
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) Empty
PostSubject: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 9:14 pm

As the very last SUY of 2015, I am proud to present to you:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

What are Sirenia?
Sirenia are best known as sea cows. They are in no way related to actual cows, besides of being mammal. It may surprise you that they are closest related to proboscideans, such as elephants. What they have in common? They are both grey and big!
Once there were many Sirenians, now only a few species still exist. There are the dugong, the West Indian manatee (with subspecies Antillean and Florida manatee), the African manatee and the Amazonian manatee. There is also some discussion about another species of manatee, the dwarf manatee. The best known extinct Sirenia is the Steller's sea cow, which is gone since 1768. Here, check out the differences between these species:

They still look the same to you? Watch the difference between the dugong and the West Indian manatee:

As you can see, the manatee is a bit taller, and weighs almost two times as much! But these differences are quite hard to tell when we're talking about animal figurines. Best way to keep them apart? The manatee has a pancake-like tail, while the dugong has a dolphin-like tail. It can't get any simpler!

Do you want to know more about Sirenia? You can find information here.

Now let's get us to the real work!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think most of you are quite familiar with my Sirenian collection. If you're not, please check them out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. You can find individual pictures of all my Sirenia figurines there! Now let's look at some group pictures:

All of them together

Manatees: AAA/Yolanda, Safari Ltd, Papo, Bullyland, handmade, Animal Planet Mini Kingdom and China/unknown

Dugongs: Kaiyodo, Colorata, Yowie UK and Kaiyodo

Steller's sea cows: Albert Heijn WWF and Club Earth

All the major brands together

All the others together

And the wonderfully handmade manatees by LeeAnn and Lance

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm especially curious about all your Sirenias.. And hopefully someone's got a figurine that I hadn't discovered yet! cheers

Let's show us yours >[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Tarunyada on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 9:40 pm

Wonderful topic and fantastic collection Julie! Thank you for starting it and congratulations for the great collection cheers

I have only few and I think nothing from my collection will be new for you. But I will try to send some photos here Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 9:46 pm

Wonderful topis, magnificent collection, and PERFECT introduction bounce cheers Applause Applause

Florian

Florian

Country/State : Belgium , Plateau de Herve

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 10:10 pm

Indeed impressive collection of sirenia ! Congrats Julie :)

NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 10:34 pm

A all style Julie topic! Very Happy Great collection Very Happy Hope you see more you don't have Julie!

hawkins_zh

Country/State : China Shanghai

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 3:24 am

Bullyland manatee is very rare. I love it!

Hawkins Zhang
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 5:25 am

Wonderful :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 8:01 pm

Presentantions like that make these topics even more special. I don't have any figure to show here but I intend to get some and I'll surely make my choices according with what I can see in your collection. :) Well, I do have one actually but it still need to be sent to a fabulous collection. Wink

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptySun Apr 24, 2016 9:01 pm

Here is my Animal Planet Manattee.

And my AAA Dugong.

Last edited by Bowhead Whale on Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding a picture)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptyMon Apr 25, 2016 9:12 am

Nice Valerie :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptyMon Apr 25, 2016 8:52 pm

widukind wrote:
Nice Valerie :)

Thank you! These and the little "Made In China" manattee Tarunyada shows us are the only sirenians I actually have... Oh! And I have AAA manattee in double, too.
Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 6:04 pm

Oops, missed your lovely Sirenians, Valerie! I hope to get those two as well, one day Smile

I definitely need to make some updated pictures of my Sirenia collection nowadays, but here's a picutre I was able to make this day:

Bullyland [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] manatee, Learning Resources [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] manatee, Safari Ltd [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] TOOB manatee and Safari Ltd [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] manatee

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 7:46 pm

They are LOVELY, Julie drunken

And your picture is so well composed, - real eye candy cheers

widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 7:56 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptyMon Nov 21, 2016 5:56 pm

CollectA

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptyMon Nov 21, 2016 6:17 pm

Congratulations, Andreas !!! It is a truely beautyful model Very Happy

widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptyMon Nov 21, 2016 7:03 pm

Thank you Susanne :)

Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptyTue Nov 22, 2016 8:04 pm

Congratulations, Andreas Smile I'm really looking forward on getting that dugong myself as well. I hope I'll be able to do some online shopping before the end of the year [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptyWed Nov 23, 2016 5:29 am

Thank you Julie, i found mine on spielzeug- günstig.de. :)

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptyTue Dec 13, 2016 6:13 pm

Florida Manatee by Yowies

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) EmptySat Nov 27, 2021 5:05 pm

newcomers

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)   Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows) Empty

Back to top Go down

Show Us Yours: Sirenia (sea cows)
Page 1 of 1