Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows Empty
PostSubject: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 2:44 pm

Sirenia (Phylum Chordata), best known as sea cows, are fully aquatic, herbivorous mammals that inhabit swamps, rivers, estuaries, marine wetlands and coastal marine waters. Four species are living, in two families and genera. These are dugongs (one species) and manatees (three species). Sirenia also include the Steller's sea cow, extinct since the 18th century, and a number of taxa known only from fossils. The order evolved during the Eocene, more than 50 milion years ago.
Subspecies of the manatee are the Amazonian manatee (Amazon basin in South America), the African manatee (western coast of Africa) and the West Indian manatee (Florida and the Greater Antilles, Mexico, Central America, northern South America and northeastern South America). The latter is divided into two subspecies: the Florida manatee (T. m. latirostris) and the Antillean/Caribbean manatee (T. m. manatus). Another possible species of manatee is the dwarf manatee (Trichechus pygmaeus), which has lots of similarities with the Amazonian manatee.

Sirenians known on TAi

Dugongidae dugongs and Steller's sea cows
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Dugong Dugong dugong
11: AAA | Bandaï Animal Kaiser 2014- | CollectA Sea Life Collection [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 2016- | Colorata Marine Mammals 2004- | Eikoh Miniature Planet Vol. 10 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 2016- | Kaiyodo Aqualand [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 1990s | Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Okinawa 2013 | Kaiyodo Furuta Chocoegg 5 2001 | Kaiyodo Japanese Natural Treasures 2000s | Takara 3D Capsule Marine Mammals Encyclopedia 2010- | Yowie AUS Series 2 1998 | Yowie UK Series 1 39 -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] †Steller's sea cow Hydrodamalis gigas
4: Albert Heijn WWF Extinct Animals Series 2004 | Club Earth Extinct Animals - | Innovative Kids Gone Extinct 9415 2009 | Yowies Forgotten Friends [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Trichechidae manatees
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Manatee
26: AAA Large - | AAA Small - | Bullyland Whales and Sharks, Large 67370 19xx-2003 | Bullyland Whales and Sharks, Large 67371 2003-2007 | Bullyland Whales and Sharks, Large 67372 (calf) 1994-2004 | CollectA Sea Life Collection [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (calf) 2010- | CollectA Sea Life Collection [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (calf) 2010- | Colorata Marine Mammals 2004- | Happy Kin Toys Deap Sea Set 9727 - | K&M International Tropical Animals Nature Tube - | K&M International Tropical Animals Nature Tube (calf) - | K&M International Sea Animals Minis | Learning Resources Jumbo Endangered Animals - | Maia & Borges Sea Life 13002 1998/2012- | Papo Aquatic Animals 56015 2014- | Ricolino Marine Mammals | Safari Ltd Wild Safari Sealife 273929 1996- | Safari Ltd Wild Safari Sealife 274029 (calf) 1997-2009 | Safari Ltd Good Luck Minis 348122 2013- | Safari Ltd Baby Sea Life TOOB 680704 (calf) - | Schleich-S Sea Animals 1:32 16086 2002-2004 | SeaWorld [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | SeaWorld PV127084 (calf) | Yowie UK Series 2 81 - | Yowie USA All American Collection (Florida manatee) 2016- | Unknown China -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Amazonian manatee Trichechus inunguis West Indian manatee Trichechus manatus African manatee Trichechus senegalensis

†Prorastomidae Prorastomus and Pezosiren
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] †Prorastomus
2: PEC | Play Visions Prehistoric Mammals 1996

Sirenians absent from TAi

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Animal Planet Mini Kingdom Set 3 (manatee) | Clawmark Toys/Medicom Toy The Great Mystery Museum Series 1 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (Steller's sea cow)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Koro Koro Gashapon Extinct Animal Series 4 (Steller's sea cow) | Bullyland Large Whales and Sharks 673xx (manatee) 19xx-2003

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NWF (dugong) 1999 | Kitan Club Toba Aquarium Series (dugong)

Kaiyodo Japan Aquarium Vol. 5 (manatee) | Bandaï World Nature (manatees) | 
Recur Sea Life 2016

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Yujin (manatee) | CollectA 88455 (manatee) | Wild Republic Eco Domes Manatee Family [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (manatees)

Sun Wai Tsing Yi (manatee) | Animal Planet Polar Set (manatee) 2005 | Joy City Ltd Sea Life Tube 4300-06 (manatee)

Unknown China pullback toy (manatee) | Unknown China (manatee) | 
Kitan Club Putitto Museum Series (dugong)

Colorata Okinawa 2017 (dugong) | 3D Pictorial Book Marine Mammals (dugong)

Last edited by Tarunyada on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:41 am; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 2:44 pm

As you can see, a lot of Sirenians are already known. If you know of any other sea cow, please tell us, so I can add it to this topic (and my wishlist)!
As you may have noticed, there are 3 manatee species, of which one has 2 subspecies. We could try and identify the manatees that are present on TAi. This picture shows the differences between the different species:

As you can see, the Amazonian manatee is pretty dark; I don't think any of the known figurines resembles this species. The difference between the African and the West Indian manatee gets a bit harder. I think we have low chances on identifying one of these two species by the appearance of the figurines. We have more chances if we look to possible series of which the figurines are part. For example, as Roger noted, have a look at the K&M manatee with calf (pictures by Beatrice [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]):

K&M International Tropical Animals Nature Tube manatee and calf

Based on the present fauna in the tube, it's likely that these manatees are West Indian manatees, maybe even Florida manatees.

Please share your ideas!

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 7:04 pm

Just updated the echinoderms topic but I wanted to tell you that you performed a fabulous work with your topic. I'll study it better and see what I can add to it although it seems very complete. Very Happy
Even if the participation is not huge, please be sure that this thread will be very useful! cheers

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptySat Apr 09, 2016 4:01 am

Roger wrote:
Just updated the echinoderms topic but I wanted to tell you that you performed a fabulous work with your topic. I'll study it better and see what I can add to it although it seems very complete. Very Happy
Even if the participation is not huge, please be sure that this thread will be very useful! cheers

Thank you very much, Roger! cheers It was a lot of work, but so much fun to do! Smile

I didn't think to find a lot more Sirenian figurines I didn't know before, but Karin did it yesterday! She found a manatee that looks quite the same as the larger AAA mold, but it's brownish instead of gray and it's hollow! cheers

Unknown China (manatee)

my AAA/Yolanda Large (manatee)

Well done, Karin! I added the manatee to the Sirenians absent from TAi-list (and I'll be going to add it to my own wishlist right away)!

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptySun Apr 10, 2016 12:01 pm

Phantastic :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 2:58 pm

Update

Recently added to TAi: 4x dugong || 5x manatee

AAA
Dugong

Bandaï
Dugong | Animal Kaiser | 2014-

Bullyland
Manatee | Whales and Sharks, Large [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | 19xx-2003

CollectA
Manatee calf swimming | Sea Life Collection [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | 2010-

CollectA
Manatee calf sitting | Sea Life Collection [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | 2010-

Eikoh
Dugong | Miniature Planet Vol. 10, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | 2016-

Kaiyodo
Dugong | Aqualand, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | 1990s

SeaWorld
Manatee | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

SeaWorld
Manatee calf | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 3:31 pm

This is an amazing, wonderful, unusual , interesting, marvellous topic cheers cheers cheers

Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 3:33 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
This is an amazing, wonderful, unusual , interesting, marvellous topic cheers cheers cheers

Thank you very much, Susanne Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 7:04 pm

Yes, these sea cows are invading TAI. I have to find some time between TAI work to check my stars. Like a Star @ heaven Sleep Laughing Not a bad Sirenia year for you, isn't it? Wink

widukind

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 3:38 am

Applause Applause Applause

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 4:08 am

Thanks, friends Smile

Roger wrote:
Not a bad Sirenia year for you, isn't it? Wink

I haven't counted, but I think I doubled (maybe even trippled) my Sirenia collection this year Laughing

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 7:54 pm

Tarunyada wrote:
Thanks, friends Smile

Roger wrote:
Not a bad Sirenia year for you, isn't it? Wink

I haven't counted, but I think I doubled (maybe even trippled) my Sirenia collection this year Laughing

... and that is just fantastic! cheers

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptySat Oct 01, 2016 7:41 am

Hi folks :)
I have a question:
I only have the manatee baby calf from safari in my collection (Safari Ltd Wild Safari Sealife 274029 (calf) 1997-2009). But I want to add a dugong: problem? Yeah the only available from the greater brands is the dugong from Collecta.
I wanted to ask if someone has a comparison photo with the safari calf and the collecta one? If the size would fit, I think I will buy the collecta dugong :)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptySat Oct 01, 2016 8:15 am

In these set is also one [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptySat Oct 01, 2016 7:20 pm

Duck-Anch-Amun wrote:
Hi folks :)
I have a question:
I only have the manatee baby calf from safari in my collection (Safari Ltd Wild Safari Sealife 274029 (calf) 1997-2009). But I want to add a dugong: problem? Yeah the only available from the greater brands is the dugong from Collecta.
I wanted to ask if someone has a comparison photo with the safari calf and the collecta one? If the size would fit, I think I will buy the collecta dugong :)

I think nobody got the CollectA dugong yet. Though, official information from the company tells it is 15 cm long, just the same length as Safari manatee adulte. You can see in Willy's collection (picture below), a size comparison between Safari manatees (ignore the right one once it is Schleich).

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptyTue Oct 04, 2016 12:26 pm

Thanks for the answers...it seems that the collecta one is to big for me :/ Or I have to buy a new manatee^^
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptyTue Oct 04, 2016 4:10 pm

Duck-Anch-Amun wrote:
Thanks for the answers...it seems that the collecta one is to big for me :/ Or I have to buy a new manatee^^

Now I noticed that Susanne already have it in her collection but surely she's very busy or haven't noticed your question or she could provide you a comparison picture as she always does. Though, you can try the much smaller Eikoh dugong I think it is 8,5 cm long and you can get it contacting [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Idea

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptyWed Oct 05, 2016 1:53 am

Roger wrote:
Now I noticed that Susanne already have it in her collection but surely she's very busy or haven't noticed your question .....

What ? what ? Sorry, yes, I have been very busy the last week or two, - what wast the question, please ? Shocked

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptyWed Oct 05, 2016 7:35 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Roger wrote:
Now I noticed that Susanne already have it in her collection but surely she's very busy or haven't noticed your question .....

What ? what ? Sorry, yes, I have been very busy the last week or two, - what wast the question, please ? Shocked

The picture being requested is a comparison between the Safari manatee calf 274029 and the CollectA dugong. Though, I think it is already clear that the dugong is quite big when compared with Safari's manatee calf. Very Happy

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptyThu Oct 06, 2016 1:14 am

Roger wrote:
SUSANNE wrote:
Roger wrote:

The picture being requested is a comparison between the Safari manatee calf 274029 and the CollectA dugong. Though, I think it is already clear that the dugong is quite big when compared with Safari's manatee calf. Very Happy

Ahh! Good that it is cleared now, as I do not have the CollectA dugongs Shocked

Duck-Anch-Amun

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptyThu Oct 06, 2016 6:54 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
No problem Wink As Roger said, the answer is really clear :)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Yeah, I think I have to buy some more japanese figures^^
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptyThu Oct 06, 2016 7:05 pm

SUSANNE wrote:

Ahh! Good that it is cleared now, as I do not have the CollectA dugongs Shocked

Susanne, I think you don't have CollectA manatees instead. Dugong it the recent sea cow CollectA released. However, as it was pointed, picture is not needed anymore. Isn't it incredible that one of the major companies have manatees and a dugong living together in the same range? I believe it will never happen in any of the other major companies,
unless both species at the same time. Very Happy

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 5:56 am

After an unforseen absence it was time again to update this page cheers I hope I've got everything in order again, if not, please let me know!

UPDATES

Added links in the topic (mostly to make it easier for myself to find everything)

Recently added to TAi: 3x dugong | 2x manatee | 1x prorastomus

CollectA
Dugong | Sea Life Collection 88766 | 2016-

Kaiyodo
Dugong | Japanese Natural Treasures | 2000s

PEC
Prorastomus | Prehistoric Mammals

Ricolino
Manatee | Marine Mammals

Yowie
Dugong | AUS Series 2 | 1998

Yowie
Florida Manatee | USA All American Collection | 2016-

Recently (re)discovered Sirenians:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Dugong | Colorata Okinawa | 2017

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Dugong | 3D Pictorial Book Marine Mammals

Thanks Andreas and Brett for the 'new' models and to all the others for updating TAi with your latest Sirenian additions!

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 10:13 am

Interesting :)

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 5:23 pm

Remarkable collection ever growing and very original, I never thought about that but you may be the only person in the world collecting this particular subject. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows   List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows Empty

Back to top Go down

List of Sirenia: manatees, dugongs and other sea cows
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next