Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect

Go down 
+8
Bloodrayne
widukind
A-J
FluffySlipers
Shanti
Roger
SUSANNE
Mgarat
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mgarat

Mgarat

Country/State : Spain

1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect Empty
PostSubject: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptyTue Mar 22, 2016 7:03 pm

I am now concentrated in making a model of a barbary lion with his huge and dense mane...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I always asked myself why male lions are the only cats with mane, the most distinctive characteristic of them. Someone said that it is used for sexual selection of mates by lionesses, which favours males with the densest and darkest mane.

After working in sculpting big cats, I realize that lions mane give them the appearance to be much bigger than they really are.

Lions are markedly territorial species, and males are almost exclusively dedicated to defend their “kingdoms”. It clearly explain why having a big mane –transmitting great strength- could be definitive.

Some researches suggest that darkest and longest maned individuals may have longer reproductive lives and higher offspring survival, although they can suffer more in the hottest months of the year. What is clear is that mane length signals fighting success in male–male relationships.

Contrary to what some people think, mane is not always an appropriate marker for identifying subspecies. Environmental factors, such as average ambient temperature, influence the color and size of a lion's mane. It also seems that the testosterone hormone is linked to mane growth. In fact castrated lions often have minimal to no mane.

Any way, mane size has been used to identify some subspecies. The almost extinct Barbary lion normally had an enormous dark mane.  On the contrary, Senegal lions, in West Africa, are well known to be almost maneless. Asiatic lion usually have a moderate sandy mane in a very characteristic shape, growth at the top of the head, with their ears always visible, and scanty on the cheeks and throat with where it is only 10 cm long.

Barbary lion:

Asiatic lion:

Senegal lion:

So, now that I am working in a new model of a Barbary Lion, which is, more or less about the same size of a Siberian tiger, I have to say that, despite I had an scrupulously care about the measures, the lion looks significantly bigger than the tiger.

You can see this effect on the following picture, showing my  models of a siberian tiger and Southeastern african lion (although this tiger is significantly bigger than this lion) :

...By the way!, as you can see below I have just open a new website and Facebook page. All of you are invited to visit then where you can explore through all my old and new projects...be wellcome!!!

My Webpage
My Facebook page

My Topics on STS / Felidae Family Project (FFP)
My shop in Etsy

Last edited by Mgarat on Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://divartsity.weebly.com/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptyTue Mar 22, 2016 9:03 pm

Mgaret, - I can't thank you enough for letting us follow the development of your awesome, stunning work drunken Applause cheers

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptyTue Mar 22, 2016 11:48 pm

I second Susanne's words! Very Happy
This effect that the mane makes lions look significantly larger we can see in oour toys once lions and tigers are often made in a similar scale. So, when a distracted company uses to make big heads, lions get terrible.
Unless one the vintage companies made a Barbary lion but I can't remember which. Those are impressive lions indeed. I am curious to see it finished and also the Asiatic lion. bounce

Shanti

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 8:15 pm

Wonderful work and interesting facts about the different lion varieties! Keep us updated!!
Back to top Go down
FluffySlipers

FluffySlipers

Country/State : Wiltshire,

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 9:18 pm

Oooo that Barbary lion has a very hairy chest ! Laughing

Seriously though, Very interesting, thank you, and I love your work !
Back to top Go down
Mgarat

Mgarat

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 5:14 pm

Thanks you all!!!

I know it looks crazy, but I have started to "paint" my lion before finishing sculpting...

I am using a combined process: "Sculpainting"

here is my palette:

My shop in Etsy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 12:42 am

Sculpainting? lol!

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 1:10 am

Sounds interesting. Could you show some proces too? Or explain a bit more?
I'm quite curious now bounce

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 9:56 am

Interesting :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mgarat

Mgarat

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 5:04 pm

A-J wrote:
Sounds interesting. Could you show some proces too? Or explain a bit more?
I'm quite curious now bounce

Yes, you have to sculpt your model adding small balls of polymer clay properly colored in accordance with the part of the body you are sculpting. Then once you give it the final texture, it is not necessary to paint it.

The disadvantage is that it is a heavier work.

The advantages are two. The first one is that the coat belongs to the model, not like an external layer of paint. You can perceive that it comes from the interior...The second one is that you can handle the model without the danger of removing the final layer an loose the color.

Here you can see some pictures that could show you the procedure:

...however, still in the process.

My shop in Etsy
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 8:00 pm

Incredible affraid

Wonderful ! Wonderful ! Wonderful cheers

Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 10:16 pm

This piqued my interest.
Question now is: do you paint the polymer clay beforehand or do you buy different colours of clay to use?

Mgarat

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 12:35 am

I have used clay of different colors from the shop. Then I prepared the appropriate base colors mixing them before using for "sculpainting"...I hope it is clear.

My shop in Etsy
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 8:33 am

It is clear.
Thank you for your answer.

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 8:59 am

It looks reallt cool!
Can't wait to see the finished lion cat

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
signatus

signatus

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptyTue Apr 05, 2016 10:04 am

I really like your drawings and model of the head of leon realmentte perfect. I think the process that you realize it very instructive. Thank you Mgarat ! Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Likaon - Wildlife Models Shop http://www.likaonmodels.com/
My homemade models : www.signatustudio.com
Back to top Go down
http://signatustudio.com
Mgarat

Mgarat

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptyTue Apr 05, 2016 11:48 pm

Thankyou all!!!

...and here is my boy!!!

...a walkaround will follow.

My shop in Etsy
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptyWed Apr 06, 2016 8:00 am

Nice lion :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mgarat

Mgarat

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptyThu Apr 07, 2016 12:50 am

The walkaraund I promised:

My shop in Etsy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptySat Apr 09, 2016 8:32 pm

That is a real Barb-hairy lion! Wink
Those hairy parts give it a very unusual but impressive look to that creature. Great work once more! cheers

bjarki12

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 1:48 am

What a majestic looking lion! Great work again!

I'm really interested in your use of different colored clays. Did you also use paint, or did the clay offer enough color without?
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 2:37 am

I like the result. There aren't as many of the dark maned lions represented, which are more impressive IMO.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 8:57 am

Mgarat wrote:

Two awesome, powerful kings meeting cheers
Mgaret, you had better watch out ! I think that the slightest spark could light a major fight Shocked Laughing

DavidP

DavidP

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 3:13 pm

Great! I really like the contrast of colors and the sense of volume it generates... Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
Mgarat

Mgarat

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 12:41 am

bjarki12 wrote:
What a majestic looking lion!  Great work again!

I'm really interested in your use of different colored clays.  Did you also use paint, or did the clay offer enough color without?

No paint at all, only colored clay and barnish... Very Happy

My shop in Etsy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect    1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect Empty

Back to top Go down

1:20 Barbary Lion (Panthera leo leo)-Lions´s Mane effect
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next