Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Insects (Safari LTD - Authentics Collection)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Insects (Safari LTD - Authentics Collection) Empty
PostSubject: Insects (Safari LTD - Authentics Collection)   Insects (Safari LTD - Authentics Collection) EmptySun Aug 20, 2017 8:47 pm

Review of the entire Insects Authentics Collection by Safari LTD (1995). This is the second arthropod-centric Authentics collection, the other being the Butterflies collection.

The figures are identified by simple common names, and the genera and species are my assumptions based on the morphologic features.

They are a stiff, solid plastic. Not super detailed but still have a neat charm about them. They are marked with their common names and the year (1995).

On to the figures/species:

1. emperor scorpion, Pandinus imperator.
The figure is 47 mm (to where the tail bends upwards) and is simply labeled 'scorpion'. Safari also made an emperor scorpion in their Smithsonian insects line. Emperor scorpions are very common as figures and have been made by Kaiyodo (Aqua Night Museum), Takara TOMY (Venomous Scorpions), Epoch (Toxic Creatures), Discovery Channel (Deadly Kiss: Poisonous Animals), Cadbury (UK Yowies), Bullyland (twice), AAA (multiple sizes), and I am sure many others.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2. bumblebee, Bombus sp.
The figure has a 62 mm wingspan and is labeled 'bumblebee'. Safari also released a trio of bumblebees in their Smithsonian Insects line and as a Good Luck Mini. I have additional figures by Bullyland, CollectA, and Play Visions.

3. monarch, Danaus plexippus.
The figure has a 65 mm wingspan and is simply labeled, 'butterfly' (and yes it has six legs C:-) ). The wing pose is interesting on this figure and different from what we normally see. Safari has done this species multiple times, including as part of their Smithsonian Insects line (adult and larva), Hidden Kingdom Insects, and Safariology Life Cycle. I have additional figures by CollectA, Groovy Tubes Books (Bug Blast!), Cadbury (Australian and UK Yowies), Toy Major, and 4D Master, plus several unnamed bin-style figures. I think Blip Toys did one too as part of their Nature's Wonders series.

4. Mexican red-kneed tarantula, Brachypelma smithi.
The figure has a 72 mm leg span and is labeled 'tarantula'. Safari has done this species twice before, as part of their Smithsonian Insects and Hidden Kingdom Insects lines. I also have figures by Blip Toys (Nature's Wonders), CollectA, Kaiyodo (Toxic and Dangerous Animals), plus one by Play Visions that I think is attributable to this species.

5. green darner, Anax junius.
The figure has a 70 mm wingspan and is labeled 'dragonfly'. Safari did this species in both their Smithsonian Insects and Hidden Kingdom Insects lines (I only have the latter). It was also done by DeAgostini as part of their World Insects Data Book (the only non-scarabaeoid among 64 figures!!!!).

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Insects (Safari LTD - Authentics Collection)   Insects (Safari LTD - Authentics Collection) EmptyMon Aug 28, 2017 6:01 pm

Nice set :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Insects (Safari LTD - Authentics Collection)   Insects (Safari LTD - Authentics Collection) EmptyFri Oct 20, 2017 11:56 am

You mention you're showing the entire series but it is missing a ladybug in your presentation. Susanne entered them on TAI and you can see the ladybug here!
6 is the common number for Authentics sets. It is also common to see their naive styles and they work quite fun with these insects.
Particularly interesting is that, despite having a Butterflies set, they introduced one more butterfly in this particular set. Conveniently, the species here presented is the most common species in toy shape while it is not present in the butterfly set. They avoided the easy repitition although I think they could introduce here a grasshopper instead, for instance.

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Insects (Safari LTD - Authentics Collection)   Insects (Safari LTD - Authentics Collection) EmptyFri Oct 20, 2017 12:54 pm

Roger wrote:
You mention you're showing the entire series but it is missing a ladybug in your presentation. Susanne entered them on TAI and you can see the ladybug here!
6 is the common number for Authentics sets. It is also common to see their naive styles and they work quite fun with these insects.
Particularly interesting is that, despite having a Butterflies set, they introduced one more butterfly in this particular set. Conveniently, the species here presented is the most common species in toy shape while it is not present in the butterfly set. They avoided the easy repitition although I think they could introduce here a grasshopper instead, for instance.

My set had only these 5. I had come to find out later the Authentics series were often released under different circumstances with different numbers. Or, I have lost the ladybug and just don't remember ever having it...
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Insects (Safari LTD - Authentics Collection)   Insects (Safari LTD - Authentics Collection) EmptyFri Oct 20, 2017 1:26 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Roger wrote:

My set had only these 5. I had come to find out later the Authentics series were often released under different circumstances with different numbers. Or, I have lost the ladybug and just don't remember ever having it...

Yes, these Authentics have a long story and they were sold in different ways and under different circunstances. Maybe it explains why such "simple" figures are so appreciated among collectors. The important is that you have a ladybug to hunt, it is not rare that we find some Authentics for trade among our members, maybe you can find one of these red bugs meanwhile.

PostSubject: Re: Insects (Safari LTD - Authentics Collection)   Insects (Safari LTD - Authentics Collection) Empty

Back to top Go down

Insects (Safari LTD - Authentics Collection)
Page 1 of 1