Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Review: Exotic Beetles (Play Visions)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Review: Exotic Beetles (Play Visions) Empty
PostSubject: Review: Exotic Beetles (Play Visions)   Review: Exotic Beetles (Play Visions) EmptySun Aug 20, 2017 11:35 pm

Review of the entire set of Exotic Beetles by Play Visions (1998). Eight different beetle species released as one of the taxon-specific sets by Play Visions in the late 1990s.

The figures are somewhat flat and of one piece; very nicely detailed (at least dorsally) for their size. Common (rarely Latin) names are printed on the bottom. Some of the Latin names below are of my decision (I think only the Jumnos and Macrodontia are labeled with their Latin names on the underside). The first name presented below is what is actually on the bottom of the figure; if it is a common name then the Latin/scientific name that follows is my interpretation.

A recommended set; Play Visions figures are becoming increasingly rare and hard to find.

On to the figures (in no particular order):

1. buprestid beetle, Chrysochroa sp.
This is a perplexing figure. It is labeled 'South African Longhorned Beetle',  and the elytra are painted like Tragocephala variegata, but it is clearly modeled after a buprestid. I considered it T. variegata for years but in the end I put sculpt over paint, so I am backtracking and calling it a buprestid, with Chrysochroa being the most-likely option based on general form. This is probably another example of a mislabed figure (such as the 'chigger' and 'deer tick' in the Fleas, Ticks, and Lice' set).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2. Carrion Beetle, Nicrophorus sp. An interesting choice away from the usual scarabs, cerambycids, and buprestids that usually get all the attention. Not sure confidently of any other carrion beetle figures, but there is an unusual beetle in the K&M Wild Republic Polyvinyl bag insect set that when painted right sure looks like a nicrophorine (Andre did it I know)...

3. Fungus Beetle, Erotylidae, gen. sp. I still do not even have a genus level on this guy but it is clearly modeled after something in the family Erotylidae (and the only erotylid figure I am familiar with!).

EDIT 1/24/2017, I have tentatively identified this as Micrencaustus lunulata

4. Goliath beetle, Goliathus regius. This is the only figure attributable to this species (based on color). The related G. orientalis was made by DeAgostini for their massive World Insect Data Book and G. goliatus was made by Furuta (Choco Egg Funny Animal Series). Notice the elytra are closed when in flight, a characteristic if most (if not all) cetoniines.

5. Macrodontia cervicornis. One of the coolest in the set, this species has been made once before by Kabaya (Insect Directory).

6. Wood-boring beetle, Rosenbergia straussi. Another unique figure. The common name on this one led to confusion that the T. variegata (above) was maybe a buprestid.

7. Jumnos ruckeri. A rather flashy figure. If you want a figure of this species that may be more realistically colored, I suggest the XX figure.

8. Emerald Weevil, Eupholus sp. Ah nice! Weevils are not common as figures despite being the second largest family of beetles (recently lost first place to Staphylinidae, due to the sinking of several families into the latter). So, getting a weevil, and one of these gems, is a great addition to this set!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/i][/i]

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Review: Exotic Beetles (Play Visions)   Review: Exotic Beetles (Play Visions) EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 8:42 am

Beautieful set !

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Review: Exotic Beetles (Play Visions)   Review: Exotic Beetles (Play Visions) EmptySat Sep 23, 2017 2:46 am

They are so cute and detailed!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review: Exotic Beetles (Play Visions)   Review: Exotic Beetles (Play Visions) Empty

Back to top Go down

Review: Exotic Beetles (Play Visions)
Page 1 of 1