Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wild Republic Polybag Desert

Go down 
+4
bmathison1972
Kikimalou
widukind
Tarunyada
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

Wild Republic Polybag Desert Empty
PostSubject: Wild Republic Polybag Desert   Wild Republic Polybag Desert EmptySat Sep 23, 2017 8:16 pm

I need your help with some species for a newly discovered Wild Republic Polybag, the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Desert Collection. Here is a picture from Amazon:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Wild Republic Polybag [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Desert Collection

I added them to TAi like this:

• Bactrian Camel
  • Black-Tailed Jackrabbit
  • Coyote
  • Scorpion
  • Tarantula

I especially need help with the scorpion and tarantula, because I have no knowledge about arachnids. But I have questions about the coyote, too. Here is mine:

When I got this figurine from Karin, I had no idea from which Polybag it came. It reminded me of a maned wolf. But now that I know it belongs to the Desert Collection Polybag, a maned wolf seems to be strange, for they do not belong in the desert. A coyote seems more acceptable. Here pictures from a maned wolf and a coyote together:

It has the big round-ish ears from a maned wolf, including the inner white fluff. It has white fur on its breast an black fur on its shoulder/back. But it hasn't got the black legs, like a maned wolf. It has quite long legs, but both coyotes and maned wolves have quite long legs. The anatomy seems not 100% maned wolf, but I think we can agree we've all seen Wild Republic figurines that aren't anatomically correct Laughing

Please let me know your thoughts! cheers

Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Wild Republic Polybag Desert   Wild Republic Polybag Desert EmptySat Sep 23, 2017 8:23 pm

I think it is a coyote :)

and can you send a link please? I cant find it on amazon :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Wild Republic Polybag Desert   Wild Republic Polybag Desert EmptySat Sep 23, 2017 9:26 pm

It could also be a maned wolf disguised in Black-backed jackal.

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Wild Republic Polybag Desert   Wild Republic Polybag Desert EmptySat Sep 23, 2017 10:26 pm

The tarantula appears to be modeled after the Mexican red-kneed tarantula, Brachypelma smithi. The scorpion is harder to discern from the image, however the sculpt looks like a Pandinus sp. (emperor scorpions). The fact that it is brown, means it could be P. cavimanus. However, I think this is another example of 'sculpting like one species/painting like another' (something K&M is good at...).

And yes that is a regular ole coyote.

I will search for this bag so I can buy the arthropods :)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Wild Republic Polybag Desert   Wild Republic Polybag Desert EmptySat Sep 23, 2017 10:38 pm

A great flock in that bag cheers

Ther canine is beautyful, - I think you and Christophe discovered a new species there study affraid cheers lol!

Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Wild Republic Polybag Desert   Wild Republic Polybag Desert EmptySat Sep 23, 2017 11:16 pm

Thanks for your replies! cheers

widukind wrote:
and can you send a link please? I cant find it on amazon :)

I found it here on Amazon and here in another webshop, but it seems unvailable/out of stock  Neutral

Kikimalou wrote:

It sure looks like a black-backed jackal! But I wouldn't describe the African savannah as a 'desert' Laughing Coyote it is, than!

bmathison1972 wrote:
The tarantula appears to be modeled after the Mexican red-kneed tarantula, Brachypelma smithi. The scorpion is harder to discern from the image, however the sculpt looks like a Pandinus sp. (emperor scorpions). The fact that it is brown, means it could be P. cavimanus. However, I think this is another example of 'sculpting like one species/painting like another' (something K&M is good at...).

Thank you very much for your insight! Always helpful to have some experts around Very Happy
What do you think will be most 'logical', to put the scorpion in TAi as a emperor scorpion or as a Pandinus cavimanus? scratch

bmathison1972 wrote:

Good luck, I hope you'll be able to find it!

Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Wild Republic Polybag Desert   Wild Republic Polybag Desert EmptySat Sep 23, 2017 11:18 pm

I can't help to be a bit disappointed, I know coyotes are scarce on TAi as well, but I just really hoped it would be a maned wolf Laughing Well, maybe more luck in the future Razz

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Wild Republic Polybag Desert   Wild Republic Polybag Desert EmptySun Sep 24, 2017 2:01 am

Tarunyada wrote:
Thanks for your replies! cheers

Thank you very much for your insight! Always helpful to have some experts around Very Happy
What do you think will be most 'logical', to put the scorpion in TAi as a emperor scorpion or as a Pandinus cavimanus? scratch

let's keep it at the genus level, to be safe.
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Wild Republic Polybag Desert   Wild Republic Polybag Desert EmptySun Sep 24, 2017 4:53 am

Coyote is marvellous arrow now in my list.

Thanks for sharing.

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Wild Republic Polybag Desert   Wild Republic Polybag Desert EmptySun Sep 24, 2017 9:37 am

Tarunyada wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:

It sure looks like a black-backed jackal! But I wouldn't describe the African savannah as a 'desert' Laughing Coyote it is, than!

Black-backed jackals are deserts inhabitants but they can live in prairie or savannahs without suffering , like coyotes Wink Their kidneys are well adapted for water deprivation.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Wild Republic Polybag Desert   Wild Republic Polybag Desert EmptySun Sep 24, 2017 11:42 am

bmathison1972 wrote:

And yes that is a regular ole coyote.

And i am interested in the rabbit :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Wild Republic Polybag Desert   Wild Republic Polybag Desert EmptySun Sep 24, 2017 12:11 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Black-backed jackals are deserts inhabitants but they can live in prairie or savannahs without suffering , like coyotes  Wink  Their kidneys are well adapted for water deprivation.

I should really do some research on jackals, it seems Suspect

Thanks for all the comments, everyone! cheers

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Wild Republic Polybag Desert   Wild Republic Polybag Desert EmptySun Sep 24, 2017 3:49 pm

In a forum with so many enthusiasts of wild dogs, it is surely an interesting polybag you've found. :) My opinion is that it is a coyote. Figure is not perfect enough to warrant a 100% sure opinion but I find it closer to a coyote than a black-backed jackal and it doesn't look like a maned wolf at all to me. Is there any chance that you provide a picture from the top where we could see the back. Is there a dorsal strip on it or can you see a cross on sholders when watching from top? Well, maybe not but it is also not a surprise that some markings are not represented in polybag figures once they are not always the best as you commented. :)

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Wild Republic Polybag Desert   Wild Republic Polybag Desert EmptyTue Sep 26, 2017 10:10 pm

To me, the "wild dog" is a sculpted Maned Wolf that was finally painted into a coyote to fit in the polybag.
Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Wild Republic Polybag Desert   Wild Republic Polybag Desert EmptyFri Sep 29, 2017 10:31 pm

Roger wrote:
In a forum with so many enthusiasts of wild dogs, it is surely an interesting polybag you've found. :) My opinion is that it is a coyote. Figure is not perfect enough to warrant a 100% sure opinion but I find it closer to a coyote than a black-backed jackal and it doesn't look like a maned wolf at all to me.

Thanks again for your insight, Roger!

Roger wrote:
Is there any chance that you provide a picture from the top where we could see the back. Is there a dorsal strip on it or can you see a cross on sholders when watching from top? Well, maybe not but it is also not a surprise that some markings are not represented in polybag figures once they are not always the best as you commented. :)

I'll provide a picture as soon as I'm home again! But indeed, I'm not sure that the lack or presence of markings will be any help in knowing the intention of Wild Republic Laughing

Bowhead Whale wrote:
To me, the "wild dog" is a sculpted Maned Wolf that was finally painted into a coyote to fit in the polybag.

That doesn't even sound crazy, looking to the figurine Laughing

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wild Republic Polybag Desert   Wild Republic Polybag Desert Empty

Back to top Go down

Wild Republic Polybag Desert
Page 1 of 1