Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Butterflies and Moths

Go down 
+4
widukind
Bowhead Whale
SyLoBe
SUSANNE
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

Butterflies and Moths Empty
PostSubject: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi! During the last month, I have been making my own Lepidoptera models. To make them, I used wood, silliccone (covered with sawdust so it can be painted), metal wires and paint. I made nineteen of them, all representing actual species.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
CHRYSIRIDIA RHIPHEUS

URANIA LEILUS

ANTHERAEA POLYPHEMUS

HYALOPHORA CECROPIA

NOCTUA PRONUBA (female)

XESTIA INUITICA (female)

Last edited by Bowhead Whale on Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 2:43 pm

Here are more (sorry to put them by groups; it is very exhausting otherwise):

COLIAS PHILODICE (male)

HELICONIUS CHARITHONIA

LIMENITIS ARTHEMIS

Last edited by Bowhead Whale on Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 2:56 pm

EACLES IMPERIALIS (male)

SYMPISTIS PIFFARDI

ANANIA FUNEBRIS GLOMERALIS

HYPERCOMPE SCRIBONIA (female)

NERICE BIDENDATA

ACTIAS LUNA (looks small, but is actually the biggest piece of my series)

HYLES LINEATA
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 3:14 pm

GLAUCOPSYCHE LYGDAMUS COUPERI

SCHINIA FLORIDA

ARMANDIA LIDDERDALEI

Last edited by Bowhead Whale on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 7:45 pm

You are clearly in a lepidopteran wave and it is so nice that it ended like this. It is very clever that you use your artistry, your cleverness to use materials and your interest in these animals to make your own figures. cheers They really look great and species choices are interesting. Nice that you included some moths too. Very Happy

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyFri Oct 06, 2017 2:13 am

Nice figurines of a lot of interesting species :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyFri Oct 06, 2017 2:34 am

Butterflies and moths ! Of course !!! cheers

Where else can your incredible sence of materials and colours be more put to use ? cheers

A sentence as : " I covered the silliccone with sawdust to be able to paint it.." illustrates your special talent with materials . Very Happy

I can't find words for my admiration and delight in these unique models drunken Applause

Somebody ought to make an exhibition of your work bounce Very Happy

Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyFri Oct 06, 2017 3:54 pm

Thank you all for your compliments! As you may have noticed, most of the species represented are from Estern North America. In other words, species that can be found in my home region or close to it. Those that are exotic were chosen, at least for a few of them, because they were illustrated in old dictionnaries that I have (it's the case of Armandia lidderdalei and Chrysiridia Rhipheus). And furthermore, the species have been chosen... because of the shape of the pieces of wood that I had. For example, I made "Hyles Lineata" "Xestia inuitica", "Nerice bidendata" and "Sympistis piffardi" because I had wood remains that were cut in a very narrow shape. I used those specific pièces of wood to make the wings of narrow-winged moths species. As for the Glaucopsyche butterfly, it is one of my smallest pièces because it was made with small remains of wood (and Glaucopsyche is a small species already, so...). And most of all, (except for the Luna Moth and the Cecropia, two species I particularly like), I chose species that were never represented as toys. So, I gave the chance to not-so-well-known species to be represneted as well.
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyThu Oct 12, 2017 3:38 pm

Did Blaine Mathison see my Lépidoptères? I'm curious to know what he thinks of them...
Back to top Go down
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptySun Oct 15, 2017 7:52 am

They are very well done, I like them a lot :)

Visit my art gallery at http://sylobe.deviantart.com/gallery/

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyTue Oct 17, 2017 4:40 pm

A twentieth one is on its way! But I'm not telling you the species yet. It will be a surprise. silent
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyTue Oct 17, 2017 5:26 pm

Bowhead Whale wrote:
A twentieth one is on its way! But I'm not telling you the species yet. It will be a surprise. silent

Well, as it is surely impossible to guess it, let's go for a surprise! bounce bounce

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyWed Oct 18, 2017 2:28 pm

Here it is: DIACHRYSIA BALLUCA.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyWed Oct 18, 2017 2:36 pm

Applause

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyWed Oct 18, 2017 2:49 pm

Now, I have twenty. A "round" number (chiffre rond), like we say in french. I'm happy to have made these, yet I feel a little sad for all the species I didn't make (lack of thin pièces of wood to make the wings)...
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyWed Oct 18, 2017 4:34 pm

The green-patched looper, another North American species and again a moth. Green color and moths marked you these last days. Wink We also use the same expression in Portuguese language, número redondo just means round number too. I am sure you will be able of finding more material or other different resources and make another series of these wonderful insects. flower

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyWed Oct 18, 2017 4:49 pm

Moths species are a lot more numerous in my home province than butterfly species. Maybe it's the reason why I made 15 moth species and only 5 butterfly species. But you also say that the green color marked me these days. Are you refering to the Toy Major Luna Moth made with a butterfly mold?

As for new material.... maybe I could use my big remains of blocks of wood to sculpt other kinds of insects? study
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyWed Oct 18, 2017 5:34 pm

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Moths species are a lot more numerous in my home province than butterfly species. Maybe it's the reason why I made 15 moth species and only 5 butterfly species. But you also say that the green color marked me these days. Are you refering to the Toy Major Luna Moth made with a butterfly mold?

Precisely, I have spent also some time searching for green butterflies and I wasn't successful. I was not daring enough to expect it could be a moth. About your preference for doing moths, I applaud it. Moths are relatively common and brands rarely favour them.

As for new material.... maybe I could use my big remains of blocks of wood to sculpt other kinds of insects? study[/quote]

It is surely a good idea, don't take me wrong but I think one of them could be the Diapheromera femorata , present in your region, I guess, and a very interesting animal. Idea

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyThu Oct 19, 2017 4:27 pm

Roger wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:

Precisely, I have spent also some time searching for green butterflies and I wasn't successful. I was not daring enough to expect it could be a moth. About your preference for doing moths, I applaud it. Moths are relatively common and brands rarely favour them.

As for new material.... maybe I could use my big remains of blocks of wood to sculpt other kinds of insects? study

It is surely a good idea, don't take me wrong but I think one of them could be the Diapheromera femorata , present in your region, I guess, and a very interesting animal. Idea [/quote]

A walking stick bug? scratch Maybe...Smile yet I would have to find a way of attaching solidly the legs on the wooden-stick-made body...study I also thougt of Gerridae species (I could make two or three); I could make the legs with metal wire with thin wooden sticks glued (with silliccone) on them between the articulations. Rolling Eyes I could also make weesils, sculpting the bodies in my wooden block pièces. But my hands are rather small, and I fear to lack muscle strength for that. Embarassed I will have to think about it.

Actually, I don't exactly "prefer" to make moths over butterflies: I love both categories. It's just that my province is a lot richer in moth species than in butterfly species. Among my 5 butterfly species made, two are exotic...

As for the Toy Major Luna Moth-painted butterfly, it's the saturnid-like ocellates on the wings that made me realize that specific piece was not a butterfly. No green butterfly has ocellates like those, and all the green species of butterflies I could find had more or less large black boarders on their wings. However, the last time I went to that discussion page, I realized Blaine was considering my theory to be Worth attention. Anyway, to me (if Blaine agrees, of course), it would be Worth putting the Toy Major ocellated-winged green butterfly among the Luna Moth figures; under its picture, on its open page, we could textually specify that this Luna Moth was actually casted from a Papilio butterfly mold. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyThu Oct 26, 2017 3:11 pm

DEILEPHILA ELPENOR

ASCALAPHA ODORATA (female)

I'M NOT REASONNABLE!!! I MADE TWO MORE MOTHS! Just like if I didn't make enough!!!! I have made twenty-two figures of twenty-two species of lépidoptères now. And a twenty-third one is on its way...
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyFri Oct 27, 2017 3:16 am

Nice figurines again :)

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyTue Oct 31, 2017 6:45 pm

I think your choice for a black witch moth is very adjusted to the date. Laughing Wonderful moths again and looking forward to see the 23th one as well as your other projects.
About the Toy Major swallowtail, I renamed it to a luna moth under your suggestion. Eventually I will add a note and it will remain like that until someone find a better approach. :)

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyWed Nov 01, 2017 4:02 pm

Roger wrote:
I think your choice for a black witch moth is very adjusted to the date. Laughing Wonderful moths again and looking forward to see the 23th one as well as your other projects.
About the Toy Major swallowtail, I renamed it to a luna moth under your suggestion. Eventually I will add a note and it will remain like that until someone find a better approach. :)

My 23rd Lepidoptere model is finihed and I will photograph it tomorrow. Would you like to guess what it is?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyWed Nov 01, 2017 6:49 pm

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:

My 23rd Lepidoptere model is finihed and I will photograph it tomorrow. Would you like to guess what it is?

Yes, I suppose it is a vampire moth. study Evil or Very Mad Wink

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths EmptyThu Nov 02, 2017 4:31 am

Lovely works! I find the Ascalapha odoratha especially beautiful Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths Empty

Back to top Go down

Butterflies and Moths
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next