Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

walk-around: Katipo (Science and Nature - New Zealand Wildlife Collection)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

walk-around: Katipo (Science and Nature - New Zealand Wildlife Collection) Empty
PostSubject: walk-around: Katipo (Science and Nature - New Zealand Wildlife Collection)   walk-around: Katipo (Science and Nature - New Zealand Wildlife Collection) EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 10:58 pm

Walk-around of the katipo, Latrodectus katipo Powell, 1871 by Science and Nature's New Zealand Wildlife Collection. This figure was released in 2016 but was not available outside of New Zealand until mid-late 2017 or so. I bought mine from MiniZoo in Australia. The katipo is a venomous spider, like other widows in the genus Latrodectus, and is endemic to coastal areas of New Zealand where it is believed to be in serious decline. There are five species in the genus Latrodectus available in toy/figure form, but this figure is only the second version of the katipo; the first is a Cadbury Yowie which I can imagine must be difficult to find easily these days.

There are two forms of the katipo, red and black. The former is what was produced by S&N; the black form has an entirely black dorsum on the abdomen. The figure has an abdomen with a diameter of 20 mm, making it 2.5:1 for a mature female. It is important to point out, this figure is an exact copy of their redback spider (L. hasseltii) from a few years prior, even to the extent that they left 'redback spider' printed on the bottom of the katipo figure (see last image!!!!). I do not mind when a company re-purposes a figure for a new species, but at least print the correct/current species on the underside! The katipo figure however is made of a more sturdier plastic, as the legs are firmer (the redback had somewhat soft legs).

On to the pics:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Comparisons with their redback spider:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

walk-around: Katipo (Science and Nature - New Zealand Wildlife Collection) Empty
PostSubject: Re: walk-around: Katipo (Science and Nature - New Zealand Wildlife Collection)   walk-around: Katipo (Science and Nature - New Zealand Wildlife Collection) EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 8:01 am

Very naturally figurine :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: walk-around: Katipo (Science and Nature - New Zealand Wildlife Collection)   walk-around: Katipo (Science and Nature - New Zealand Wildlife Collection) EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 8:27 am

WOW ! I dodn't even know that this model exist affraid

Thankyou very much for the walkaround and for the - as always - great comments cheers

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: walk-around: Katipo (Science and Nature - New Zealand Wildlife Collection)   walk-around: Katipo (Science and Nature - New Zealand Wildlife Collection) EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 11:38 am

Great review with all we needed to know. Very Happy I completed the series on TAI with your pictures. It could be easily a figure that could pass unnoticed in this hobby. I've just knew it existed while working at the Toy Animal Wiki and searching for more information about the company.
I agree about that they should stamp it differently but maybe it is not as simple as we think. Katipo is not a figure that replaced the redback. Making a complete new stamp to the katipo, could represent an investment that could just risk the final release of the figure. The other option, is that brands do not mark their figures with species names, in this case, if reused, there is no inconsistencies. I am one of these persons that think excessive stamping could destroy a figure but I find it very important that their species name is printed. Widow spider could solve the problem if it is a problem at all. :)

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: walk-around: Katipo (Science and Nature - New Zealand Wildlife Collection)   walk-around: Katipo (Science and Nature - New Zealand Wildlife Collection) EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 1:03 pm

Roger wrote:
Great review with all we needed to know. Very Happy I completed the series on TAI with your pictures. It could be easily a figure that could pass unnoticed in this hobby. I've just knew it existed while working at the Toy Animal Wiki and searching for more information about the company.
I agree about that they should stamp it differently but maybe it is not as simple as we think. Katipo is not a figure that replaced the redback. Making a complete new stamp to the katipo, could represent an investment that could just risk the final release of the figure. The other option, is that brands do not mark their figures with species names, in this case, if reused, there is no inconsistencies. I am one of these persons that think excessive stamping could destroy a figure but I find it very important that their species name is printed. Widow spider could solve the problem if it is a problem at all. :)

I think you're giving too much credit to what probably amounts to laziness on the part of the company. But it's a new species, and that's the important thing.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: walk-around: Katipo (Science and Nature - New Zealand Wildlife Collection)   walk-around: Katipo (Science and Nature - New Zealand Wildlife Collection) EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 6:45 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], @Southland_Replicas, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and some others which username I can't remember, are surely better positioned than I do to give a better approach to the subject. I also agree the most important is that they brought a different species and a rare one in toy shape as you mentioned. :)

PostSubject: Re: walk-around: Katipo (Science and Nature - New Zealand Wildlife Collection)   walk-around: Katipo (Science and Nature - New Zealand Wildlife Collection) Empty

Back to top Go down

walk-around: Katipo (Science and Nature - New Zealand Wildlife Collection)
Page 1 of 1