Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

the False Garial made by Schleich

Go down 
+5
Roger
widukind
barracudacat
SUSANNE
Megaptera
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Megaptera

Megaptera

Country/State : Germany

the False Garial made by Schleich Empty
PostSubject: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 11:38 am

Hello and welcome to my first walkaround. I want to show you the False Gharial aka Sunda Gharial / Gavial ( Tomistoma schlegelii), which was made by Schleich from 2000-2004:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Megaptera on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 11:41 am

As you can see, it has the typical head shape of a False Gharial. Moreover, Schleich has done more or less a good paintjob. The figure has also the dark spots, which are typical for this species. The snout of this species is very long and slender. Here you can see some references from the Leipziger Zoo:

Last edited by Megaptera on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 11:46 am

First, I was thinking it could be a Ganges Gharial, but after I visited the Leipziger Zoo, I had the first idea, that this one is a False Gharial. And also Schleich gave a hint. When it was released, Schleich only call it Gharial. But in the booklet of 2000, you can see that Schleich put it to Malaysia, Borneo and Java and not to India.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 3:39 pm

WOW ! You made my day sunny Very Happy

I LOVE it, when there is a walkaround of one of the old beautied, - and this one is wonderful cheers
Your fine photos remind me why I began collection model animals as an adult ! Thankyou very much flower

barracudacat

barracudacat

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Very nice! I didn't even know they made this species. It's such an interesting looking animal.

widukind

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 6:10 pm

Great walkaround :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 6:17 pm

Thank you. Later I can also do a walkaround about the Galapagos Tortoise Complex:)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 6:20 pm

Oh yes please

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 6:54 pm

I know I may look sometimes like a long-snouted crocodile but I wished I could debat it better with you.
First, thanks for opening this topic. It is a very interesting subject and, if you are right, it increases the interest of this figure once Papo's version is clearly an Indian gharial. Your points to explain why it is a false gharial and not a Ganges gharial, are very plausible. I know there are some croc experts on forum and I'd love to know also their opinion. bounce

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 7:37 pm

Thank you very much for this walkaround Megaptera Very Happy I wish it is only a first step Wink

Thsi oldies was very false as a gharial, it could be a more convincing false gharial indeed Applause

Last edited by Kikimalou on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:17 am

That ID would explain why it looks so different from the Papo figure. Yes, they are different, but the snouts are very very different in them.

I will accept this identification! Although, really, I'm no croc expert.

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 10:55 am

The Phylegenetic Museum of Jena has a skull of a False Gharial and it has the same shape like the head of the Gharial from Schleich. Maybe I can find a picture of it:)
Back to top Go down
PeGe

PeGe

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Hello. Well, Schleich is't the mostt accurate brand for most of the species they made, and most reptiles are crap, except for some nice new ones such as the bearded dragon.
And this specific picture is a "cutarial",.... The scutes in the neck region actually are typical for false gharial, but then the skull shape is more fantasy/produrction/intergrade, same as the snout, which resembles more the indian gharial. So a Schleichy fantasy toy....not more.
And the comparison with the Papo one is a little like comparing water with wine.
Here a classical drawing of a false gharials head:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyThu Jan 11, 2018 8:17 am

Everyone knows that Schleich is not a creator of non-perfect animals. But this looks all in all more lile a False Gharial. It has the black spots on the body, which abscent on Indian Gharials. Even the head shape looks similar from above. It is like the new Leopard from Schleich. I have never seen such a slim Leopard in real.
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyThu Jan 11, 2018 8:25 am

At the end, I believe that Schleich showed us with the booklet, that we have here a False Gharial. It shows that it is native to Borneo, Sumatra and Java. This is also the home of the real one:

Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyThu Jan 11, 2018 8:44 am

And here again a head shape comparison:

Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyThu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 am

The snout is not slender enough to represent an Indian Gharial:

Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyThu Jan 11, 2018 8:57 am

And the end, here is a comparison between the False Gharial from Schleich and the Indian Gharial from Papo:

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyThu Jan 11, 2018 12:09 pm

As in many other Schleich figures, it is just almost impossible to be sure of the species just based on figure's observation. observation When I acquired initially this gharial, I made it convinced it was an Indian gharial, at least, it was assumed like that for whole community. I never liked the figure too much, we see the good manufacturing quality but the proportions and general shape I always found very poor for a gharial or any other species of crocodile. But, I think it is a question of design, Schleich always loved to make figures somewhat cartoonish with a friendly looking what in my opinion could work in a koala but not in a croc.
The head is very big, snout and legs are very thick and the body is ridiculously short. Result is very chubby as Kiki used to tell. Wink Chubby style on toys do still work but it was a fever when the century started. I've always thought that the obvious discrepancies between this figure and a real Indian gharial, were just because of these design features. When thinking in it as a false gharial, I see the exact same problems but, in the case of the snout and coloring, they're not anymore so dramatic, surely the body keeps being too short and general chubby look remains. So, while it works as a bad representation of an Indian gharial, it works as a not so bad representation of a False gharial. Adding the good considerations Megaptera added to the subject, it makes me believe also that even, if Schleich originally considered to make an Indian gharial, all evidences point that they used the false gharial as inspiration to the design. Afterall, a False looks a chuuby Indian. Laughing As it was just marketed as gharial, I really tend to accept it as a false. :) ... and I am not doing it based on collecting convenience because I still keep not liking too much this figure.

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptyThu Jan 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Yes, it is just a typical figure from Schleich:D
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptySun Feb 23, 2020 5:13 pm

It made my day to learn that I have one more species than I thought, having both the Indian gharial from Papo and this false gharial from Schleich Very Happy

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptySun Feb 23, 2020 8:02 pm

I've read the entire topic again and I decided to put it as a false gharial at the Toy Animal Wiki. I placed there a link to this discussion.

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich EmptySun Feb 23, 2020 8:07 pm

Yes, beyond Megaptera's interpretations, the distribution map provided by Schleich is an objective evidence.

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the False Garial made by Schleich   the False Garial made by Schleich Empty

Back to top Go down

the False Garial made by Schleich
Page 1 of 1