Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

4 Orcinus species

Go down 
+3
bmathison1972
widukind
Megaptera
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Megaptera

Megaptera

Country/State : Germany

4 Orcinus species Empty
PostSubject: 4 Orcinus species   4 Orcinus species EmptySun Jan 14, 2018 10:09 pm

New genetic analysis have shown, that Orcinus orca consists at least of 4-10 several species:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Megaptera on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

4 Orcinus species Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 Orcinus species   4 Orcinus species EmptySun Jan 14, 2018 10:29 pm

Thats what i like. Now i have more to collect and hope that there are a few figurines of the different orca species. But i know who i can ask Wink

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

4 Orcinus species Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 Orcinus species   4 Orcinus species EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 1:09 am

Finding cryptic species complexes withing established species is becoming more and more common, especially with the molecular capabilities. Personally I think a 'genotype' should have a corresponding 'phenotype' even if it's not morphological. In many cases, the differences are genetic and geographic, which are impossible to separate in a toy or figure (unless the manufacturer marketed it from a specific geographic region). As such, segregating toy orca into various species will probably be impossible until 1) new species are described and 2) toys are marketed to those at the species level. I have not read this orca article, but these are just trends I have seen with the animals I study.
Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

4 Orcinus species Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 Orcinus species   4 Orcinus species EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 1:22 am

Honestly, let the brands first figure out how to make a decent looking orca with all the marking correct before we even dare to speak about the different types of orca! Or figure out the gender of these animals... The only two good looking orcas in my opinion are the Mojo Fun one and the Schleich 2012 orca. Both have all the correct markings to be a real good looking orca. Yet the gender specifics are doubtful with these two (bigger dorsal and pectoral fins for males, smaller for females, no genital splits on both.)

Megaptera

4 Orcinus species Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 Orcinus species   4 Orcinus species EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 5:06 am

Yet, it is unknown if all types of orca are several species. Then, there would be 10 different species:)
Yes, I North that the Schleich Orca from 2013 is one of the best ones. And I think it could be a Type 2 Eastern North Atlantic Orca, because of the faintes saddle, the common shape of this saddle and the colouration.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

4 Orcinus species Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 Orcinus species   4 Orcinus species EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 7:44 am

That is very interesting ! I have often wondered why orcas could look so different, but it could just be age, sex, temperature of the water, how fat it is etc , - but it can also be because they are different species Very Happy

Megaptera

Megaptera

4 Orcinus species Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 Orcinus species   4 Orcinus species EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 9:33 am

I think the new Schleich Orca from 2018 could be a Resident Orca. I've seen that some researchers sighted a Resident Orca without a saddle patch near British Columbia.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

4 Orcinus species Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 Orcinus species   4 Orcinus species EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 11:16 am

Megaptera wrote:
I think the new Schleich Orca from 2018 could be a Resident Orca. I've seen that some researchers sighted a Resident Orca without a saddle patch near British Columbia.

Then we have loads of resident orcas among our toys. But that's possible.

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

4 Orcinus species Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 Orcinus species   4 Orcinus species EmptyWed Apr 25, 2018 5:44 am

Are you sure they are species and not just breeds?
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

4 Orcinus species Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 Orcinus species   4 Orcinus species EmptyWed Apr 25, 2018 7:23 pm

Yes, according to different papers, there are at least 4-5 species or even more. Their mitochondrial DNA have shown many differences. And whales are well known for their strong genes, which are not so easy to mutate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

4 Orcinus species Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 Orcinus species   4 Orcinus species Empty

Back to top Go down

4 Orcinus species
Page 1 of 1