Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Butterflies (Land and Sea Collectibles)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Butterflies (Land and Sea Collectibles) Empty
PostSubject: Butterflies (Land and Sea Collectibles)   Butterflies (Land and Sea Collectibles) EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 4:15 am

So, one day on eBay I stumbled upon four small, interesting butterfly figurines (first image, below) by Land and Sea Collectibles. I bought them, and then started snooping around and eventually found their site. On their site, I saw a set of a dozen similar, but looking slightly different, butterflies. I ordered that set to see how they compare (are there multiple series, etc.). Land and Sea offers many 'miniature' animals like these; they are intended to be accessories for 'fairy gardens' (a popular horticultural activity).

When the first set from eBay came, I was very impressed. The four figures were well-detailed and sat upon a small base simulating wood. I am not sure, but the figures might be made of fiberglass? Feels too light to be resin or stonecast. Anyway I was impressed by them, especially since they gave me two new species (identifications are mine) and one species that I only have as a flat magnet figurine. I should point out that the painting on the ventral side is not accurate; it simply mirrors the dorsal side (which is accurate for each species). I can forgive that, given the detail they do possess at a small size.

Clockwise from top left:
1. The danaid eggfly, or mimic, Hypolimnas misippus, a new species for me [Parasarpa (ex: Limenitis) albomaculata also a good match, but I thought the shape of the white macula on the hind wings was a better shape for the former]
2. The gulf fritillary, Agraulis vanillae.
3. The red admiral, Vanessa atalanta.
4. The crimson patch, Chlosyne janais, the other new species

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

When I received the 12 butterflies from the actual site, I was disappointed. The 12 figures were essentially the same design, but painted differently and with slightly different bases. They remind me more of the previously-reviewed Steel Street butterflies. I took pics of six of them here, the ones I'll retain. They're nothing special but I'll keep at least these six for now. I am not even going to try to put species' names on them; even if they might slightly resemble something legit, I am sure they are all generically painted. Also, figurines in this set seem to be made of a stonecast-like material, not as light and graceful as the first four.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I am curious why there are two sets of such different styles and quality. When the second set, direct from Land and Sea, came, there was a catalog too, but I could not find anything like those first four in it. They must represent a retired set. I hope if the first four represent a larger set, I can find additional species.

For the additional six stonecast figurines, I will either give them away as 'extras' when I do a trade, or maybe repaint them for next year's 'Custom Figure Swap'

-

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies (Land and Sea Collectibles)   Butterflies (Land and Sea Collectibles) EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 8:15 am

Very interesting. Is the material a k8nd of plastic?

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies (Land and Sea Collectibles)   Butterflies (Land and Sea Collectibles) EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 1:42 pm

widukind wrote:
Very interesting. Is the material a k8nd of plastic?

As I mentioned earlier, I am not sure. The upper four are very light, maybe fiberglass? (the company does make large fiberglass fish). The bottom 6 feel like stonecast.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies (Land and Sea Collectibles)   Butterflies (Land and Sea Collectibles) EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 6:31 pm

Thanks

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies (Land and Sea Collectibles)   Butterflies (Land and Sea Collectibles) EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 10:39 pm

They are very, very beautyful Very Happy

It is amazing so many models there exists sunny

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies (Land and Sea Collectibles)   Butterflies (Land and Sea Collectibles) Empty

Back to top Go down

Butterflies (Land and Sea Collectibles)
Page 1 of 1