Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!)

Go down 
+7
smilodoncalifornicus
Roger
barracudacat
SUSANNE
widukind
NightLioness
CWGross
11 posters
AuthorMessage
CWGross

Country/State : Canada

I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!) Empty
PostSubject: I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!)   I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!) EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 6:37 am

A friend of mine went to a garage sale today and picked up a box of dinosaur toys that he then passed along to me... The highlights are some original Carnegie Collection figures, including the Smilodon and Elasmosaurus that I am for sure keeping. The rest I'll probably look to sell, even though they're all a little beat up. Anyone interested?

The whole gang (minus the two dozen small, random, cheapo ones still in the box)...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Carnegie Collection OG's...

A scuffed-up Smilodon... I was thinking about repainting this one, since I'd like to place it in my Ice Age collection. I'm not so sure though, since it is such a vintage piece, even if it's roughed up.

Comparing Safari's first Smilodon to its most recent...  It is interesting to compare, though, that even while the body shape on the original Carnegie figure is more accurate, the detail and painting is so much better on the more recent Safari Smilodon. I don't think I'm quite ready to replace the one with the other.

I'm not sure what this set is supposed to be, but they came with info cards...

One of my favourite of the other random ones. I call him "Smiley"...

And then there's this... I'm not even sure what it's supposed to be...
Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!)   I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!) EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 10:04 am

You are very lucky! That is so nice of your friend to give you that box.
Please do not repaint the Smilodon.
I have several Carnegie dinosaurs, including the two humanoid figures, some do have rubs, but it adds to their charm!
They are so old, the rubs belong to them.
Your Smilodon is actually in a nice condition considering the age :)

The ones with the info cards are surely interesting!
Is there any brand name on the cards?

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!)   I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!) EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 11:54 am

Congratulations , nice catch

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!)   I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!) EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 1:18 pm

They are wonderful, - even the more strange ones have lots of charm. Isn't it interesting, so much we have learned about prehistoric life just this millennium ? Very Happy

The old Carnegies will always be among my absolute favorites. Yes, new paintwork is nicer, but the old paintwork has tons of charm . drunken

I agree with Karin. The old smilodon has had a har life as some little boy's friend. Fighting dinosaurs and other monsters that he would never have met in real. If he became a repaint, that was all lost for ever Rolling Eyes Wink

Congratulations with this wonderful box, - and with having a friend like that cheers

CWGross

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!)   I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!) EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 4:01 am

Hah, I never thought about the Smilodon that way before Wink

The copyright info on the ones with the cards is "Funrise 1990" and the set is called the "Authentic Dinosaur Collection".
Back to top Go down
barracudacat

barracudacat

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!)   I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!) EmptyTue Jun 12, 2018 4:34 pm

These are amazing models! I love the old Carnegie figures and you have quite a few spectacular ones. All of these are very nice additions.

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!)   I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!) EmptyWed Jun 20, 2018 8:56 pm

CWGross wrote:
Hah, I never thought about the Smilodon that way before Wink

The copyright info on the ones with the cards is "Funrise 1990" and the set is called the "Authentic Dinosaur Collection".

Interesting, there is also a collection of dinos from 1998. Could you please check if those you own match with this list? Very Happy

smilodoncalifornicus

Country/State : USA Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!)   I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!) EmptyWed Jul 03, 2019 4:09 am

I agree with you Roger. The Old Carnegie Smilodon has a much more accurate body than the newer Safari one.
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!)   I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!) EmptyWed Jul 03, 2019 11:05 am

..according to me, it's the smilodon last version which deserves e new painting because of its artificial unnatural stripes!..
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!)   I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!) EmptyThu Jul 04, 2019 1:51 am

You can make believe they're different species, after all not everything enters the fossil record!
Man, I wish I had a friend or family member like yours!
I like quite a few of your dinos- though your keeper elasmosaur is probably my favourite. Do you still have your parasaurolophi, especially that bigger one? That's my daughter's favourite dino since she was a baby. Even though she's almost 20 now, she still gets them from me.
Back to top Go down
halichoeres

halichoeres

Country/State : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!)   I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!) EmptyTue Jul 09, 2019 8:12 pm

I'd also like to see which Funrise species you got. I think there were both painted and unpainted versions of the Funrise dinosaurs. I'd be especially interested to see a painted Nodosaurus, although I think the one you have is an Ankylosaurus or possibly Scolosaurus.

smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

Country/State : USA Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!)   I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!) EmptyMon Jan 27, 2020 4:17 am

Caracal wrote:
..according to me, it's the smilodon last version which deserves e new painting because of its artificial unnatural stripes!..

I agree with that.  I have never liked how the newer Safari Smilodon was painted with those goofy stripes.  In fact, I have never liked it as a Smilodon figure.  It is not shaped like a Smilodon.  It is much to slender and modern cat shaped. Safari's old Carnegie Smilodon has MUCH more scientific accuracy.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!)   I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!) EmptyMon Jan 27, 2020 4:04 pm

I am very happy, because I see other collectors with old dinosaurs.

Splendid gift, congratulations Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!)   I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!) Empty

Back to top Go down

I got a box of random dinosaur toys! (incl. original Carnegie Smilodon!!)
Page 1 of 1