Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki

Go down 
+30
bmathison1972
Joliezac
Spinosaurus
Stripedhyena
endogenylove
Koikinguu
Gecko08
Jill
Taos
George
Roy-Swetsie
Babdo
ikessauro
Birdsage
cmj3
Duck-Anch-Amun
Tiermann
SUSANNE
Dutch Bear
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
Advicot
spacelab
rogerpgvg
sbell
aschuck
pipsxlch
Wienerwald
jarda
Pardofelis
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
Birdsage

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptySun Apr 25, 2021 11:04 pm

I realize your points now. The Nayab figures in particular had specific and sometimes very incorrect official IDs that were sometimes not marked. It would be very confusing if someone searched for the bison figure that is officially a yak. They couldn’t search for it by title if it was named “Yak” in the title, even if there was a note in the description. Very good points. It really wouldn’t make sense for some figures.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptySun Apr 25, 2021 11:06 pm

Thanks for your understanding! It is also good that you start knowing how it works and it will improve your future suggestions.

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptySun Apr 25, 2021 11:10 pm

Also, since this is for edits to the wiki, you can add the maned wolf figure to it! I would love to see the markings, because a maned wolf marked with a typo of a completely unrelated vegetable just sounds really funny!
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptySun Apr 25, 2021 11:32 pm

Birdsage wrote:
Duck-Anch-Amun wrote:
Birdsage wrote:

It surprises me, too, that you don´t really accept for exemple Blaine´s point of view, even that he has proven knowledge concerning names. I mean 50 scientific publications (!) and you still are arguing Wink I´m working for a nature conservation organisation and only can agree with Blaine.

Anyway, at least correct misspellings and names that don’t match Wikipedia’s.

Well, Blaine is on iNaturalist, and they capitalize all animal common names there. Do you think that he argues about this topic there too?

So far on iNaturalist, I haven't had to deal with 13-year-olds acting like know-it-alls.

iNaturalist...eBird...BugGuide...these are community-based, citizen-science driven platforms. They are not peer-reviewed scientific writing. There is a difference.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptySun Apr 25, 2021 11:39 pm

Thanks for reminding me! You are very correct! In that case, I can just stop using capital common names outside informal public science and birding-related contexts. Let’s end the capitalization debate for now. This is just a toy collectors’ forum after all, not a birding or science forum.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptySat May 01, 2021 9:23 pm

Actually, @bmathison1972, one more question. I know that you wouldn’t capitalize the common names in your scientific papers, but is there any scientific(not just citizen science or Wikipedia) checklist of all animals (not just bugs) that I could use? Obviously iNaturalist has standard common names for all animals, but as you said, that’s just citizen science, not professional science. Any checklist will do, regardless of capitalization. Just make sure that it is the general kind of checklist you would use for a scientific paper.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptySat May 01, 2021 9:25 pm

Also, while eBird is just citizen science, the checklist that it uses is used by the overall Cornell Lab, which is a professional organization. What is your honest option on that?
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2021 6:08 pm

Just noticed that the ELC Muntjac is described as the Indian species.This should be the Reeves/Chinese Muntjac as this is the only species that now survives in the UK and likely that would have been the species used for the model.Thanks.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2021 2:53 pm

Taos wrote:
Just noticed that the ELC Muntjac is described as the Indian species.This should be the Reeves/Chinese Muntjac as this is the only species that now survives in the UK and likely that would have been the species used for the model.Thanks.

Thanks Taylor, I moved the ELC muntjac to Reeves's muntjac page and now the Indian muntjac page is empty. :)If anyone has any objection, just let me know and it can be moved back. :)

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2021 2:59 pm

Roger wrote:
Taos wrote:

Thanks Taylor, I moved the ELC muntjac to Reeves's muntjac page and now the Indian muntjac page is empty. :)If anyone has any objection, just let me know and it can be moved back. :)

Reeves Muntjacs have striped markings on face, the ELC lacks them. It is better to let it as an Indian muntjac IMHO. Wink
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2021 3:09 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Roger wrote:
Taos wrote:

Reeves Muntjacs have striped markings on face, the ELC lacks them. It is better to let it as an Indian muntjac IMHO. Wink

Oh, I avoid to modify your identifications but I think I was moved by my schedule of today's tasks on TAW. Laughing I also added a link to your topic on forum and the exact species was not mentioned. I will return it to its original page then. cheers

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 11:48 pm

Just noticed that on the Unknown Maker China page, the orange Shetland Pony is actually the one from the now recognized Wild Republic "Horse Species" tube. :)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 1:16 pm

Jill wrote:
Just noticed that on the Unknown Maker China page, the orange Shetland Pony is actually the one from the now recognized Wild Republic "Horse Species" tube. :)

Really very well spotted. Work of two different editors, really hard to spot. I merged Susanne pictures with yours and the little pony is now where it should be.

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 1:17 pm

https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Green_vine_snake

What is the justification for referring to the Yowie vine snake as Oxybelis fulgidus when the paper that accompanies the animal and Yowie Group's website both call it Ahaetulla nasuta?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 1:38 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:

What is the justification for referring to the Yowie vine snake as Oxybelis fulgidus when the paper that accompanies the animal and Yowie Group's website both call it Ahaetulla nasuta?

I was the only editor of that page and apparently there is no justification besides any kind of confusion, maybe I forgot to check the website and tried to identify it myself. Thanks for noticing it, it is fixed now and the page of the green vine snake was turned into a page for common vine snake.

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 1:40 pm

Roger wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:

I was the only editor of that page and apparently there is no justification besides any kind of confusion, maybe I forgot to check the website and tried to identify it myself. Thanks for noticing it, it is fixed now and the page of the green vine snake was turned into a page for common vine snake.

thank you for the rapid reply and explanation.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptySun Sep 12, 2021 3:37 pm

Why is the Wing Mau/Club Earth gecko listed as a 'tokay gecko mislabeled as leaf-toed gecko'? Why change the company's ID? The figure is not detailed to the point that either species can be ruled-out; however, what is the justification for the change? Especially since every species in that set is North American; why change a North American gecko to an Asian one?
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptySun Sep 12, 2021 3:58 pm

I found some information on the Play Visions Frogs set.
What is listed as a female Golden Toad is marked “Atelopus varius” and not “Dendrobates a. histrionica” as listed on the page. Atelopus varius (Variable Harlequin Frog) is probably a better identification for the figure than a Golden Toad, so change the species too.
The Dyeing Dart Frog is correctly marked “Dendrobates tinctorius” and not “Atelopus varius” as shown on the page.
Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 F4115b10
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2021 3:16 pm

The two Bullyland zebra sharks here: https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Zebra_shark
...should probably put with the leopard shark here: https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Leopard_shark

It is confusing, because both species can share the common names 'zebra shark' and 'leopard shark', but body form and tail morphology is much more consistent with the latter.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2021 3:18 pm

And don’t forget the Yowie leopard shark that is really a zebra shark. That’s the exact opposite situation.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2021 3:55 pm

Birdsage wrote:
And don’t forget the Yowie leopard shark that is really a zebra shark. That’s the exact opposite situation.

yes, thanks for that reminder. The Yowie Group 'leopard shark' is a very immature zebra shark. In fact, with the Yowie, CollectA, and Safari figures, one could make a zebra shark life cycle :-D
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2021 3:56 pm

That’s exactly what I was thinking not long ago. The Safari one has stripes and and spots, and so it represents an intermediate stage between the Yowie and CollectA ones.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2021 11:43 pm

Leopard and zebra sharks are sorted as suggested now. I remember the Bullyland being discussed before.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptySat Oct 30, 2021 11:20 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Why is the Wing Mau/Club Earth gecko listed as a 'tokay gecko mislabeled as leaf-toed gecko'? Why change the company's ID? The figure is not detailed to the point that either species can be ruled-out; however, what is the justification for the change? Especially since every species in that set is North American; why change a North American gecko to an Asian one?

Maybe @Kikimalou can give his opinion on it once it was his identification. If he agrees, I'd be glad of fixing it.

Birdsage wrote:
I found some information on the Play Visions Frogs set.
What is listed as a female Golden Toad is marked “Atelopus varius” and not “Dendrobates a. histrionica” as listed on the page. Atelopus varius (Variable Harlequin Frog) is probably a better identification for the figure than a Golden Toad, so change the species too.
]

Good one, it is fixed now and actually the figure matches nicely the clown frog.

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 EmptySun Oct 31, 2021 12:30 am

We need to fix the pages for Replica Toy Fish and Toy Fish Factory.
All released Replica Toy Fish figures must be listed as discontinued.
The Chain Pickerel should be listed as unreleased.
The unreleased/prototype figures should be listed as neither “discontinued” or “in production”, but as “never released”
The Northern Angler and Gulf Coast sets should be added to Toy Fish factory. These were 2019 releases.
The other scheduled sets were never released.
It should be mentioned that Toy Fish Factory is scheduled to be sold in the somewhat near future. (This was never publicly announced; this fact was leaked from my call with the owner.) The four current sets will remain in production until further notice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki
Page 12 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 27  Next