Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki

Go down 
+30
bmathison1972
Joliezac
Spinosaurus
Stripedhyena
endogenylove
Koikinguu
Gecko08
Jill
Taos
George
Roy-Swetsie
Babdo
ikessauro
Birdsage
cmj3
Duck-Anch-Amun
Tiermann
SUSANNE
Dutch Bear
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
Advicot
spacelab
rogerpgvg
sbell
aschuck
pipsxlch
Wienerwald
jarda
Pardofelis
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptySun Oct 31, 2021 12:31 pm

Roger wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:
Why is the Wing Mau/Club Earth gecko listed as a 'tokay gecko mislabeled as leaf-toed gecko'? Why change the company's ID? The figure is not detailed to the point that either species can be ruled-out; however, what is the justification for the change? Especially since every species in that set is North American; why change a North American gecko to an Asian one?

Maybe @Kikimalou can give his opinion on it once it was his identification. If he agrees, I'd be glad of fixing it.

Laughing Why I did this 6 years ago is a mystery to me Very Happy

I never had this model, the only explanation is someone asked me to do so, but who ? scratch Very Happy

I agree to have my nonsense fixed of course Wink
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptySun Oct 31, 2021 2:02 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Roger wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:
Why is the Wing Mau/Club Earth gecko listed as a 'tokay gecko mislabeled as leaf-toed gecko'? Why change the company's ID? The figure is not detailed to the point that either species can be ruled-out; however, what is the justification for the change? Especially since every species in that set is North American; why change a North American gecko to an Asian one?

Maybe @Kikimalou can give his opinion on it once it was his identification. If he agrees, I'd be glad of fixing it.

Laughing Why I did this 6 years ago is a mystery to me Very Happy

I never had this model, the only explanation is someone asked me to do so, but who ? scratch Very Happy

I agree to have my nonsense fixed of course Wink

Editing on TAW is quite consuming, I already found many weird things from my own editing. TAW needs more eyes but also more hands.
I moved the gecko to Phyllodactylus (American leaf-toed gecko) I don't know how correct it is but it will stay like that until better suggestion.

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptySat Nov 06, 2021 1:56 pm

https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Desert_horned_lizard

you guys have a bunch of horned lizards dumped under the desert horned lizard. While many are generic, the Safari IC figure was specifically marketed as a Texas horned lizard when it came out (although their current website has it as just in the genus Phrynosoma) and the Papo figure, while sold generically, morphologically is also clearly a Texas, based on crown morphology and color (although color can vary based on habitat).
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptySat Nov 06, 2021 2:13 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Desert_horned_lizard

you guys have a bunch of horned lizards dumped under the desert horned lizard. While many are generic, the Safari IC figure was specifically marketed as a Texas horned lizard when it came out (although their current website has it as just in the genus Phrynosoma) and the Papo figure, while sold generically, morphologically is also clearly a Texas, based on crown morphology and color (although color can vary based on habitat).

OK, thanks, I fixed it and now there is a page for Texas horned lizard
https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Texas_horned_lizard
If you find the exact species of the others or at least if the generic ones can't be desert horned lizards, please let us know.

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptySun Nov 07, 2021 9:40 pm

Unidentified rhinoceros beetles:

1. the Cadbury Yowie figure was marketed as Xylotrupes gideon

2. The two Bullyland figures are more of a challenge. They were sold as 'rhinoceros' beetles but morphologically, they were most-certainly based on a coprine of some kind. Given that Bullyland favors (favored) local fauna, it is probably intended to be Copris fricator.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptySun Nov 07, 2021 11:43 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Unidentified rhinoceros beetles:

1. the Cadbury Yowie figure was marketed as Xylotrupes gideon

2. The two Bullyland figures are more of a challenge. They were sold as 'rhinoceros' beetles but morphologically, they were most-certainly based on a coprine of some kind. Given that Bullyland favors (favored) local fauna, it is probably intended to be Copris fricator.
1 was easy and now we have a page for the brown rhinoceros beetle.
2 I don't know what to do, should I move these Bullyland to the dung beetle page?

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 6:48 pm

The Japanese populations of the great tit (Parus major) are now a separate species, the Japanese tit, P. minor

https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Great_tit

The Kaiyodo Birdtales figure (as well as the flying Furuta figure not shown here) most certainly represent P. minor

That could mean that Papo's 2022 P. major might be a 'new species' ;-)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2021 4:40 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
The Japanese populations of the great tit (Parus major) are now a separate species, the Japanese tit, P. minor

https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Great_tit

The Kaiyodo Birdtales figure (as well as the flying Furuta figure not shown here) most certainly represent P. minor

That could mean that Papo's 2022 P. major might be a 'new species' ;-)

I opened a page for Japanese tit and the great tit page got orphaned waiting for Papo figure.
Probably it is time to start grouping some passerine species into families on TAW, the Passeriformes page is getting too long what turns the editing work a painful task.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2021 10:15 pm

I don't use to share this information here but since Passeriformes is a long page where people use to find all passerines, I think it is important to tell that I opened family pages for families with 6 or more species once it was getting difficult to work on it.
Old World flycatcher s, crows, tits and finches have now their family pages.

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2021 1:28 pm

Here are some suggestions, rather than corrections, for PV Tropical Fish collection from 1996. These are more for people who might be interested in assigning species; may or may not affect TAI:

1. mandarin fish - Synchiropus splendidus - I agree with this
2. triggerfish - Pseudobalistes fuscus - I agree with that
3. pufferfish - I am proposing Canthigaster epilampra (lantern toby); they are color variable but often have a yellow tail
4. angelfish - juvenile Pomacanthus imperator, I agree with this
5. wrasse - I propose Pseudanthias tuka (yellowstriped fairy basslet)
6. clownfish - I agree with Coris aygula (but notice you have the species name spelled wrong on this page: https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Play_Visions_Tropical_Fish)
7. parrotfish - I have mine as Scarus altipinnis but S. ceruleus is probably just as good
8. butterfly fish, Chaetodon plebeius - I agree with this.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2021 2:04 pm

I definitely agree with these species. The triggerfish is clearly that species, so why not assign it? Same with the butterflyfish, even though it has an extra spot that the real one doesn’t.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2021 3:54 pm

Birdsage wrote:
I definitely agree with these species. The triggerfish is clearly that species, so why not assign it? Same with the butterflyfish, even though it has an extra spot that the real one doesn’t.

For figures that are ambiguous, it's best to leave them generic and offer suggestions for the collector to decide on their own.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2021 4:48 pm

Are you saying that the triggerfish in particular is ambiguous? It is obviously none other than Pseudobalistes fuscus. Some of the others may be unclear, but the triggerfish is not.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2021 4:56 pm

Birdsage wrote:
Are you saying that the triggerfish in particular is ambiguous? It is obviously none other than Pseudobalistes fuscus. Some of the others may be unclear, but the triggerfish is not.

I am speaking generally.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2021 11:58 pm

OK, thanks Blaine and Birdsage. I can't check them all today and fish are not my aquarium of tea.
though, I fixed the scientific name of the clownfish and I agree, the triggerfish is not that ambiguous so I opened a species page for it. Clownfish is also consensual but it already had its own page. About the wrasse, I really don't think we can be sure of the suggested species.
I will try to remember revisiting this tomorrow.

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 30, 2021 1:48 am

Roger wrote:
OK, thanks Blaine and Birdsage. I can't check them all today and fish are not my aquarium of tea.
though, I fixed the scientific name of the clownfish and I agree, the triggerfish is not that ambiguous so I opened a species page for it. Clownfish is also consensual but it already had its own page. About the wrasse, I really don't think we can be sure of the suggested species.

Pseudanthias tuka is probably the best option so far for the wrasse. An alternate common name for this species is 'queen purple wrasse' (even though it is not a true wrasse), hence possible confusion. It certainly is no where near close to what is currently suggested in TAI.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 30, 2021 2:31 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Roger wrote:

Pseudanthias tuka is probably the best option so far for the wrasse. An alternate common name for this species is 'queen purple wrasse' (even though it is not a true wrasse), hence possible confusion. It certainly is no where near close to what is currently suggested in TAI.

I tend to find that a very plausible option, the fact it is known also as a wrasse despite being a fairy basslet may explain it. The blue line extending to the upper part of the tail seems to be a defining feature to this species. I will probably open a page for it.
Meanwhile, I opened a page for the blueblotch butterflyfish, figure is not spot on but I haven't found any other related species that was so close in appearance so I think this is another one that we can assign to a species with relative confort. Also, if anyone finds better options, considering some species are different depending of gender or age, it won't be hard to fix.
Later I will check all others.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 30, 2021 6:26 pm

Is that really a Gray fox?

https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Marx_Wild_Animals_Fox

The box is from a Red fox and it looks not really like a gray fox.

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 30, 2021 7:57 pm

widukind wrote:
Is that really a Gray fox?

https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Marx_Wild_Animals_Fox

The box is from a Red fox and it looks not really like a gray fox.

Indeed scratch
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 30, 2021 8:36 pm

Could be the angelfish a Pomacanthus semicirculatus instead of a juvenile P. imperator?

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 PV_tropicalfish_angelfish

Here is the juvenile semicircle angelfish
Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 1920px-X_Pomacanthus_semicirculatus_2prg

Here is a juvenile P. imperator
Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 Pomacanthus_imperator_juvenile

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 30, 2021 9:06 pm

Whoa Roger that is much better!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 30, 2021 9:10 pm

Indeed a juvenile Pomacanthus semicirculatus
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 30, 2021 9:41 pm

Laughing ... but the mold is better for emperor but it is quite normal that they choose the mold of a more common species.
What about the Yowies UK Angelfish as a Pomacanthus sexstriatus ?
I was checking the genus and this match seemed good. Sixbar angelfish.

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 1280px-Pomacanthus_sexstriatus

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 Yowie_UK_08_angelfish

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 30, 2021 11:07 pm

that also looks very good!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 3:29 pm

Parrotfish day. Laughing Actually, we have the Play Visions parrotfish identified as a captain parrotfish (Chlorurus enneacanthus)
I am almost colorblind so it is very hard for me to choose species based on color. This species was previously placed on Scarus genus and the shape of the fins is more consistent with this species than the two "Scarus" previously suggested.
Let me know which of the three you find the best option and I put everything corently on TAW.

Play Visions figure
Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 PV_tropicalfish_parrotfish

Captain parrotfish (Chlorurus enneacanthus)
Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 Chenn_u2

Blue parrotfish (Scarus coeruleus)
Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 Scarus_coeruleus_in_Madagascar_Reef

Minifin parrotfish (Scarus altipinnis)
Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 1280px-Scarus_altipinnis

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki
Page 13 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20 ... 27  Next