Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki

Go down 
+30
bmathison1972
Joliezac
Spinosaurus
Stripedhyena
endogenylove
Koikinguu
Gecko08
Jill
Taos
George
Roy-Swetsie
Babdo
ikessauro
Birdsage
cmj3
Duck-Anch-Amun
Tiermann
SUSANNE
Dutch Bear
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
Advicot
spacelab
rogerpgvg
sbell
aschuck
pipsxlch
Wienerwald
jarda
Pardofelis
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 3:34 pm

I found the parrotfish the hardest to determine. What I have listed above I'll retain for my personal collection unless the evidence is overwhelming to the contrary
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 3:35 pm

Scarus altipinnis is the best match as far as color goes. The snout of Chlorurus enneacanthus is too short and blunt.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 4:12 pm

The same mold is used as a bluechin parrotfish in a different set.
Click here. so maybe again the mold is generic and it is the color determining the species. So, I will use your suggestion with a question mark but clearly discussion around this fish is still open.

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2021 4:31 pm

this is probably just an editorial error, but how come the Safari TOOB grey reef shark is mixed in with the crocodile shark?

https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Crocodile_shark

the grey reef shark is its own species: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_reef_shark
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2021 5:06 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
this is probably just an editorial error, but how come the Safari TOOB grey reef shark is mixed in with the crocodile shark?

https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Crocodile_shark

the grey reef shark is its own species: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_reef_shark

Probably an editor that dreams with crocodiles, not me. Laughing
It is fixed now but the tube figure doesn't look like the standard sized one.

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2021 5:13 pm

I think an editor put it there because it looks like the standard Crocodile Shark. Think about it. Just look at the shape of the snout and the proportions of the fins. It does look more like a Crocodile Shark than the Gray Reef Shark it was marked as. I thought putting it there was intentional.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2021 3:37 pm

I am also not yet convinced with the shark and it is not the only mislabeled figure in that Safari toob.

Back to Play Visions.
Blaine wrote:
5. wrasse - I propose Pseudanthias tuka (yellowstriped fairy basslet)
I think we can assume this suggestion, Blaine already demistified the fact that this model is marketed as a wrasse.
Thus, I opened a page for the yellowstriped fairy basslet until someone find a better suggestion if it exists.

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 Pseudanthias-tuka-microlabrychthis-fahnenbarsch-weibchen

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 PV_tropicalfish_purplewrasse

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2021 3:39 pm

I think that is a good identification.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyMon Dec 06, 2021 8:21 pm

This Safari Incredible creature Puffer is not identified on TAW.
Do you think itt could be a longspine porcupinefish? (Diodon holocanthus)

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 Sadari250429_L600

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyMon Dec 06, 2021 8:29 pm

It was sold as a porcupine fish; D. hystrix is also one to consider with the dark maculae
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyMon Dec 06, 2021 8:52 pm

Thanks Blaine. It was sold as a puffer as we can see on this old catalogue. Though, it is a porcupiinefish, at least we are suggesting the same genus, I'd love to read more opinions about it.

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 Captura-de-Ecr-24

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyMon Dec 06, 2021 9:58 pm

Oh! I wonder if they changed that (or I am just mis-remembering.... Sleep Sleep Sleep )
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyMon Dec 06, 2021 10:23 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Oh! I wonder if they changed that (or I am just mis-remembering.... Sleep Sleep Sleep )

Their 2019 catalogue, shows the reissued model also sold as puffer. I ended listing it as a longspine porcupinefish, with a question mark, because this species is more common and it also has black blotches that fade with age but it is easy to find individuals like that.
What I was not able of finding a satisfying identification was the Play Visions pufferfish, the model is actually very beautiful but I cannot find that game of spots, strips and spots in any speciies or morph and my head looks now like an inflated pufferfish. Laughing

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyTue Dec 07, 2021 8:30 am

Much better to use as Diodon holocanthus, because Diodon hystrix have much shorter spines.

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 Diodon11
Diodon holocanthus (at Duisburg zoo)

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 Diodon10
Diodon hystrix (at Berlin zoo)

other species that I know is Diodon liturosus, but it have much bigger dark blotches on body and it can be discarded for the Safari figure. I never saw it so I don't have pics of this species

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyTue Dec 07, 2021 2:22 pm

Thanks Isidro!
Here is a great page about Diodon liturosus whose pictures cannot be used. The face of this creature is phenomenal. Laughing

To keep things running, do you think this Bullyland funny porcupinefish can also be assigned to a certain species?
Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 Bully67850

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyTue Dec 07, 2021 3:24 pm

@Roger
For me, those are all the same species. The same for the Safari LTD Good Luck Mini Porcupinefish.
Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyFri Dec 10, 2021 7:11 pm

Hello :)

Continuing the Fish theme, I added some pictures to my "identification thread" here: https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t9957p50-help-identifying-my-animals

Most of them are already identified with the help from Pardofelis. However, the pictures can be used for the TAW, but I don´t know the brand.

I have still questions for the "K+M Parrotfish", that isn´t identified on TAW.
Another question is for the "AAA Tiger shark", that is marked as this species, but doesn´really look like this species...
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyFri Dec 17, 2021 1:01 am

Based on the proportions of the fins and body, I can identify the sharks as Lemon Sharks. The yellow color matches too.
I have the parrotfish, and I cannot find a species that matches. The closest match in color is Queen Parrotfish, but the fins aren’t right.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyFri Dec 17, 2021 8:21 am

The parrotfish must be one of the totally blue species, most probably Scarus coeruleus.

Here's the one I've photographed at Berlin zoo:
Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 Scarus10

And the TAI one:
Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 KM_tube_coralreef_parrotfish

Agree that lemon shark is a good candidate. Lemon sharks have a wide, flatish head, do your shark have this feature?

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyFri Dec 17, 2021 12:28 pm

When checking the parrotfish, I was tempted to list it as a Queen parrotfish but I was always convinced it is supposed to be a blue parrotfish. I surely don't know which identification is better but I am listing it as a blue parrotfish with a questionmark, better to put it somewhere than keeping it abandoned to avoid that it gets forgotten. If a better idea pops, it will be easy to fix.

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 23, 2021 1:45 pm

Ok thanks for the parrotfish.As I already have the Safari toob parrotfish as blue one, I will choose one of the many other species :)

For the AAA "Tiger shark" - I think it really works better as Lemon Shark, even that the head is not asflated as the one made by Safari ltd. But compared to the 2 on TAW from K+M, that could work.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 26, 2021 9:20 pm

By casuality I've found this:
https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Pterophyllum

The page "Angelfish" refers to the freshwater angelfish, a cichlid very popular in aquariums (Pterophyllum scalare).
However the first figure, the Safari angelfish https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Safari_699104_Angel_Fish is a model very clearly representing one of the species in a very different family: the angelfishes, or marine angelfishes (family Pomacanthidae). More precisely is a Flame Angelfish (Centropyge loriculus). Then it should go in the respective page:

https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Flame_angelfish

The name angelfish also can be applied to a third, even much more unrelated kind of fishes, the Pantodon buchholzi. At least in Spanish is applied in aquarium hobby. For being accurate is better to be guided by scientific classification rather than common names as the latter can cause this kind of confusions.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 26, 2021 10:13 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
By casuality I've found this:
https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Pterophyllum

The page "Angelfish" refers to the freshwater angelfish, a cichlid very popular in aquariums (Pterophyllum scalare).
However the first figure, the Safari angelfish https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Safari_699104_Angel_Fish is a model very clearly representing one of the species in a very different family: the angelfishes, or marine angelfishes (family Pomacanthidae). More precisely is a Flame Angelfish (Centropyge loriculus). Then it should go in the respective page:

https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Flame_angelfish

The name angelfish also can be applied to a third, even much more unrelated kind of fishes, the Pantodon buchholzi. At least in Spanish is applied in aquarium hobby. For being accurate is better to be guided by scientific classification rather than common names as the latter can cause this kind of confusions.

I will fix it, however, the figure is actually correctly identified as you can see here
https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Safari_Coral_Reef_Toob_699104_Angel_Fish

That's an old page that got lost and needs to be removed and obviously it is linked to the wrong section. Thanks! Very Happy

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2022 12:33 am

TAI has the Safari 'pterosaur' as Ahanguera: https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Safari_299729_Pterosaur

However, that figure was sculpted after a specimen that is still undescribed; it is not currently possible to assign a genus or species to it (represents an undescribed genus).
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 EmptySat Jan 22, 2022 12:46 am

bmathison1972 wrote:
TAI has the Safari 'pterosaur' as Ahanguera: https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Safari_299729_Pterosaur

However, that figure was sculpted after a specimen that is still undescribed; it is not currently possible to assign a genus or species to it (represents an undescribed genus).

You're right, Anhanguera was because it was assigned to the Ornithocheiridae family, I guess. I moved it to Pterosauria page.

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki
Page 14 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next