Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki

Go down 
+31
Roger
bmathison1972
Joliezac
Spinosaurus
Stripedhyena
endogenylove
Koikinguu
Gecko08
Jill
Taos
George
Roy-Swetsie
Babdo
ikessauro
Birdsage
cmj3
Duck-Anch-Amun
Tiermann
SUSANNE
Dutch Bear
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
Advicot
spacelab
rogerpgvg
sbell
aschuck
pipsxlch
Wienerwald
jarda
Pardofelis
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptySun Apr 17, 2022 1:06 am

The magazine is the reliable source. Wink I can't wait to know, whatever the result Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 12:58 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
The magazine is the reliable source. Wink I can't wait to know, whatever the result Very Happy

Dirk sent me a photo of the magazine title and apparently Kaiyodo didn't distinguish. They list the genus and both species T. osimensis and T. muenninki; so it must be left up to the collector?

I don't know if the text is more specific, but the front cover of the magazine lists both species.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 1:26 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:

Dirk sent me a photo of the magazine title and apparently Kaiyodo didn't distinguish. They list the genus and both species T. osimensis and T. muenninki; so it must be left up to the collector?

I don't know if the text is more specific, but the front cover of the magazine lists both species.

As I suspect the species can't be identified, maybe the most correct is to list the figure as Ryūkyū spiny rat which is the common name for genus Tokudaia or just let it as it is now.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 2:24 pm

We will put the model with both, since it’s Kaiyodo choice 😊
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 6:09 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
We will put the model with both, since it’s Kaiyodo choice 😊

Why not? Apparently that's the goal.
I have been thinking about a deratization of the Rodentia page on TAW. So many murids listed already, however, the group as a family is not very suggestive. Maybe dividing it into subfamilies is the best choice. Though, it is not sooo important. Wink

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 9:05 pm

More info from one of Brett's clients:

"The magazine cover lists it with two scientific names, Tokudaia osimensis and Tokudaia muenninki. Those are two species, the Ryukyu spiny rat and Muennink’s spiny rat (a.k.a. Okinawa spiny rat). They are found on Amami Ōshima and Okinawa Island, respectively. Wikipedia lists a third species in the genus, Tokudaia tokunoshimensis, the Tokunoshima spiny rat, found on Tokunoshima Island (in between the other two islands). A map in the magazine has three separately colored ranges on these three islands, but only the two scientific names are shown." [Blaine's comment: T. tokunoshimensis wasn't described when the figure was made]

So, it looks like Kaiyodo decided to leave it at the genus level.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 10:30 pm

Well, the third species wasn't describe when Kaiyodo produced the NT series. I modified the page to match with Kaiyodo booklet but we still can change it to a unique genus page.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2022 12:51 pm

https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Kimura_spider

TAI has this as Heptathela kimurai, but the paperwork translates to 'Okinawa Kim Ryuthela', which is Ryuthela nishihirai.

Also, it makes more sense it is Ryuthela nishihirai, since that species is endemic to Okinawa (the theme of the set), whereas H. kimurai is endmic to Kyushu
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 8:41 am

Let's talk about Ibexes: Lahl, Starlux, Straubolin and Timpo. We put them on the Alpine ibex page but they are obviously not Alpine ibex. If I listened to myself, I would call Siberian ibex the Lahl, the Straubolin and the Starlux. As for the Timpo, I would position it as a Nubian ibex by default. Your idea, ladies and gentlemen?

Lahl, Starlux, Straubolin and Timpo
Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 Lahl-Alpine-ibex-3

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 Starlux-grey-ibex

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 Straubolin-Ibex-3

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 Timpo-Lead-Ibex4
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 4:08 pm

I would love to know what to do with the spider Blaine mentioned. If it should be corrected, I'd be glad of doing the job.

About ibexes, it is important to notice those are very old models and all these species were for a long time considered subspecies of the Alpine Ibex. I don't know if the designs were inspired in book illustrations or Zoo animals but they also look Siberian ibexes to me and I don't have an opinion about the Timpo model.
Alpine ibexes do not show those extremly long and curved horns, they are more like the Schleich models.
I think their identification as Alpine ibexes is because most of these figures are presented in Woodland series with the focus on European fauna and when the exact species is not provided, we tend to introduce it according with the commonest species. Look at the hedgehogs there are loads of similar species and when we don't know it, we introduce it as a common hedgehog and the common ibex is the Alpine ibex.
Shortening, I think these models were sculpted to represent Alpine ibexes but they were clearly designed after Siberian ibexes.

Here similar horn layouts from zoo specimens.

Nikolaev Zoo

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 14502.jpg.pagespeed.ce.fQcereN4-S

Odessa Zoo
Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 8980.jpg.pagespeed.ce.0mWUhZA2to

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2022 7:05 pm

Is the Kaiyodo "Great egret"

https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Kaiyodo_ChocoQ_Animatales_11_Great_egret

not a little egret?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_egret#/media/File:Little_egret_(Egretta_garzetta)_Photograph_by_Shantanu_Kuveskar.jpg

because the beak is black not yellow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_egret

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2022 11:31 pm

Very clearly a great egret by shape, feathers, face colour etc besides the bill. But bill colour of great egrets depends both on subspecies and on season (breeding vs. non-breeding). The subspecies present in Japan is Ardea alba modesta and this one changes the bill from yellow to black during breeding season (as well as the face and legs colours). The Kaiyodo figure is a very faithful figure of a breeding individual of this subspecies.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2022 8:30 am

Pardofelis wrote:
Very clearly a great egret by shape, feathers, face colour etc besides the bill. But bill colour of great egrets depends both on subspecies and on season (breeding vs. non-breeding). The subspecies present in Japan is Ardea alba modesta and this one changes the bill from yellow to black during breeding season (as well as the face and legs colours). The Kaiyodo figure is a very faithful figure of a breeding individual of this subspecies.

Thank you

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2022 10:41 pm

the recent hedgehog thread made me realize the three hedgehogs here are incorrect. These are four-toed hedgehogs, not Amur hedgehogs. Kaiyodo did make an Amur hedgehog in the original Chocoegg/Choco Q line, however

https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Amur_hedgehog
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2022 10:52 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
the recent hedgehog thread made me realize the three hedgehogs here are incorrect. These are four-toed hedgehogs, not Amur hedgehogs. Kaiyodo did make an Amur hedgehog in the original Chocoegg/Choco Q line, however

As I was not the editor of those pages, I am always hesitant to change it and it requires some work because the word Amur is everywhere in this set.
I see those figures were just marketed as hedgehogs, I don't know from where the Amur hedgehog identification comes. Why are you positive about their identifications as an African pygmy hedgehog? Is it because they're common pets or is there a source?

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2022 10:55 pm

Roger wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:

As I was not the editor of those pages, I am always hesitant to change it and it requires some work because the word Amur is everywhere in this set.
I see those figures were just marketed as hedgehogs, I don't know from where the Amur hedgehog identification comes. Why are you positive about their identifications as an African pygmy hedgehog? Is it because they're common pets or is there a source?

I honestly can't remember, I think I got the information from the source I bought it from. I do remember doing thorough review so I didn't buy the species twice (as I also have the Choco Q Amur hedgehog).
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2022 11:04 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Roger wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:

I honestly can't remember, I think I got the information from the source I bought it from. I do remember doing thorough review so I didn't buy the species twice (as I also have the Choco Q Amur hedgehog).

This topic is telling me that you are right so I believe our crazy macaque won't kill me if I fix it. affraid Laughing

endogenylove

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2022 5:35 pm

I believe that the club earth and wing mau kingsnakes (which are currently on the page for the eastern kingsnake L. getula and are labelled desert kingsnake (which would be L. splendida)) are actually Grey-banded kingsnakes (L. alterna). The colors do not match with eastern or desert king snakes at all, but certainly resemble the grey-banded kingsnake much more closely.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2022 6:33 pm

endogenylove wrote:
I believe that the club earth and wing mau kingsnakes (which are currently on the page for the eastern kingsnake L. getula and are labelled desert kingsnake (which would be L. splendida)) are actually Grey-banded kingsnakes (L. alterna). The colors do not match with eastern or desert king snakes at all, but certainly resemble the grey-banded kingsnake much more closely.

The identification of this kingsnake is not consensual. On Blaine's topic we can see they come in different color variations.

Stripedhyena

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 7:50 pm

As a striped hyena... I have to tell you that it “hurts my eyes” to see that my vintage distant cousin is located in Chialù... Laughing
Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 D56a2b10
The one in the picture is Elastolin or Pfeiffer... I'm afraid it doesn't have the Italian imprint... Palmface
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 9:42 pm

Stripedhyena wrote:
As a striped hyena... I have to tell you that it “hurts my eyes” to see that my vintage distant cousin is located in Chialù... Laughing

The one in the picture is Elastolin or Pfeiffer... I'm afraid it doesn't have the Italian imprint... Palmface

What are those TAW editors doing with your distant relatives? Shocked
It was @Tiermann who uploaded the picture but I'm not sure it belongs to him. Maybe it is better to know first from him why it is placed there. study

Stripedhyena

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 9:58 pm

Well, it's no drama... Hahaha (hyena laugh), but I was surprised because Chialù is such a "branded" brand....
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 3:36 pm

Wildlife Artists Strawberry Poison Dart Frog... I would go for a Sira poison dart frog  Wink

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 WAI_treefrogs_oophagapumilio

Schleich and Eikoh "Giant pangolins" (Smutsia gigantea)... For me they are both Ground pangolin (Smutsia temminckii).

The Giant pangolin is known to have a long snout, perfectly showned on the Safari Ltd pinecone.

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 Safari100268And250529

Schleich and Eikoh ones have a classic snout, nothing noticeable like Ground pangolins.

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 Schleich14757

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 Eikoh78833Face

I think the mistake comes from Google, a lot of pics supposed to show a giant pangolin are Ground pangolin pics because both are African and from the same genus Smutsia. It hitched me each time I look at the pangolins page on TAW What a Face scratch study

Please let me change this... Say yes cheers Laughing
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 4:06 pm

that's a rather soft feature for interpreting in figures of that size. I don't know about Eikoh, but Schleich specifically called it a giant pangolin, both when it was released individually and in a current 'wildlife set'. I think it's safe to keep at least the Schleich one as a giant pangolin (at least I will in my collection and any posts I make of it)
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 4:21 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
that's a rather soft feature for interpreting in figures of that size. I don't know about Eikoh, but Schleich specifically called it a giant pangolin, both when it was released individually and in a current 'wildlife set'. I think it's safe to keep at least the Schleich one as a giant pangolin (at least I will in my collection and any posts I make of it)

This isn't a so soft feature I think, the main difference between the two species is the elongated snout for the Giant pangolin. I understand Schleich called it like that (after they first called it pangolin) but the brand also called a King penguin an Emperor penguin then changed, a Cuvier's gazelle a Thomson's one then change...

As a synoptic collector you could have a Giant pangolin and a Temninck panolin Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 16 Empty

Back to top Go down

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki
Page 16 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22 ... 29  Next