Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Should I collect dinos?

Go down 
+2
Steve170
Advicot
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

Should I collect dinos? Empty
PostSubject: Should I collect dinos?   Should I collect dinos? EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 6:09 pm

I am currently deciding if I should begin to collect prehistoric animals. The problem is I already have a huge collection of wild, domestic and sea animals and I would wonder where to put the figures if I decided to start an official collection. It's also going to cost a lot if I decide to do a synoptic collection, but what do you all think?

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Steve170

Steve170

Country/State : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Should I collect dinos?   Should I collect dinos? EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 6:38 pm

I think you should consider if you have the space to put the figures and also the cost of adding a substantially sized branch to your collection.

I know you have mentioned space and cost already yourself, but I'm afraid that is something only you can work out, as only you knows how much space and money you have.

I'll try to be more helpful, if you really want to collect prehistoric animals then I would always say go for it. If cost becomes an issue, then you can buy them less frequently. This makes your collection growth slower, but not less satisfying over time. If space becomes an issue then maybe consider not displaying everything (have some of your collection stored away somewhere), or re-think your displays. It is difficult to advise from an outside position

halichoeres

halichoeres

Country/State : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: Should I collect dinos?   Should I collect dinos? EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 8:40 pm

If you wanted to limit the impact on your budget and display space, you could consider collecting non-dinosaur prehistoric creatures. In most years, only a few are released, and they tend to be smaller. So for example, this year you have the following list from the major brands, which seems pretty manageable:
CollectA belemnite
CollectA Caviramus
CollectA Lisowicia
CollectA Orthoceras
CollectA Pleuroceras
CollectA Redlichia
Favorite Co Quetzalcoatlus
Papo Megaloceros
Safari Ichthyosaurus
Safari Sarcosuchus
Safari Shringasaurus
Schleich Postosuchus

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Should I collect dinos?   Should I collect dinos? EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 9:52 pm

Is it something you really want and you believe it gives you joy? So it is a good option.
though, it is important these two aspects. Do you have room enough to store or display them? Is it also something that you can afford? If you think so, collecting prehistoric models is something really exciting and even more popular than collecting wild extant animals. Try also to be criterious, there are several ways of collecting this kind of figures. You can make a good assortment just with the major traditional companies or you can collect loads of Japanese figures, much smaller but not that easy to get.

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Should I collect dinos?   Should I collect dinos? EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 10:07 pm

Thanks for your feedback everyone, but I'm still undecided.

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Should I collect dinos?   Should I collect dinos? EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 10:19 pm

Advicot wrote:
Thanks for your feedback everyone, but I'm still undecided.  

I am in the same boat. I collect prehistoric mammals, inverts, and a few others but have been debating about dinosaurs. halichoeres even helped me picking good exemplars. But for space and cost considerations, I am going to postpone it for now. I will probably get some synapsids, though.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Should I collect dinos?   Should I collect dinos? EmptyMon Feb 10, 2020 1:48 am

For a long time I said I wasnt an "active" collector of prehistorics and aquatic animals (due to inflated cost and lack of space). My rule used to be if I found them for really cheap then I'd get it/keep the figure. Over time I realized I really do like those models, and those parts of my collection were growing more than I thought! Just last year I decided I will collect whatever I want of those models (as I am a little more picky in those categories) and I have been much happier to add more unique molds to my horde. Wink Just recently I added CollectAs temnodontosaurus birthing and sarchosuchus.

I think the main concerns for anyone is cost and space. In my case, those issues were resolved naturally after a decade of denying those aspects to be included in my collection. If they make you happy, just start small with a new dinosaur here and another new one there. And if you end up deciding its not for you then you can trade them for other figures. Or I hear that you have a little brother... maybe he'd like them too? At any rate, I hope my advice helps. But at the end of the day it's a very personal decision.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I collect dinos?   Should I collect dinos? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should I collect dinos?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: General reviews and discussions-
Jump to: