Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!

Go down 
+15
Jill
rogerpgvg
Wilorvise
RtasVadumee
spacelab
landrover
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
Steve170
75senta75
costicuba
Caracal
SUSANNE
Advicot
Roger
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 30, 2020 9:45 pm

Thanks, Rogério. Apart from the pangolins, I have also enjoyed the humour in this topic.

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 30, 2020 11:03 pm

Thanks a lot for this funny happy end Rogério and congrats for this wonderful Elastolin pangolin!

and now the Starlux one:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

which species according to you all??..

Last edited by Caracal on Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 30, 2020 11:37 pm

Hausser Elastolin from 1938 .. affraid cheers
That`s a special figure !
And a wonderful culmination of this great topic.
And I love the last photo ... perfect end !
Pangolins party on the trunk cheers

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2020 8:43 am

Caracal wrote:
and now the Starlux one:

Hurraaay ! Now I know what brand my little darling is cheers

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2020 11:15 am

I bought that Hausser Elastolin figure after i had seen yours :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2020 12:11 pm

Thanks everyone!Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Caracal wrote:
Thanks a lot for this funny happy end Rogério and congrats for this wonderful Elastolin pangolin!

and now the Starlux one:

The first thing we notice on beautiful Starlux figure is the artistcally posed tail. The sculptor really wanted to show that some pangolins have prehensile tails.
I believe it is one of the arboreal African species. From the four African species, two are ground pangolins and two are tree pangolins. The tree pangolins are the long-tailed pangolin (Phataginus tetradactyla) and the tree pangolin (Phataginus tricuspis).
The long-tailed pangolin is also known as African black-bellied pangolin because the ventral part is really dark. It has also a tail that is almost twice as long as its body.
Tree pangolin is known also as white-bellied tree pangolin because the ventral area is of a light color. The tail is longer than its body but not as long as the tail of the long-tailed pangolin.
So, my guess goes to Phataginus tricuspis although I can't be sure enough, I never listed it at Toy Animal Wiki to the species level.

Photo credit: San Diego Zoo

SUSANNE wrote:

You know, I took mine to the computer to show him how well his twin carries his age, and then !!!
I dropped him down on the keyboard affraid pale Embarassed Sad Shocked
But, phhhhhew, he didn't get any more cuffs than he has already cheers drunken Laughing

Your pangolin is also a resilient one. :) I also get very nervous anytime I have a composition figure in my hands. I am so scared of breaking them that they start jumping out from my hands. affraid

Last edited by Roger on Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2020 1:25 pm

Roger wrote:

SUSANNE wrote:

You know, I took mine to the computer to show him how well his twin carries his age, and then !!!
I dropped him down on the keyboard  affraid  pale  Embarassed  Sad  Shocked
But, phhhhhew, he didn't get any more cuffs than he has already cheers  drunken  Laughing

Your pangolin is also a resilient one. :) I also get very nervous anytime I have a composition figure in my hands. I am so scared of breaking them that they start jumping out from my hands. affraid

Exactly what happens to me also, - and some of the Starlux models have also jumped out of my hands pale

RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2020 8:42 pm

I also have a pangolin to show but contrary to Caracal, I don't know what brand it is. Perhaps one of you can help me to identify it :

As you can see, nothing is written on it except "Singapore" where it must have been manufactured :

It is very small. Here is a comparison pic :

Pic from above :

It was once part of my uncle's collection. I played with it in my childhood, when I was in my grandparents' house. My grandmother asked me recently if she could give it to a young girl of her neighbourhood and I agreed since I am not interested in this kind of figures (I only collect standard sized, detailed figures). I only kept the pangolin which was by far my favourite when I was a child.

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2020 9:19 pm

What does it say on its tummy?

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 01, 2020 9:41 am

"Singapore"

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 01, 2020 11:03 am

These Singapore marked models are often copies of Britains and other plastic vintage figures. There are also the Hong Kong copies. There are, however, a few that seem to be original designs, among them, this little pangolin. This is a generic looking pangolin not accurate enough to a given species but, as the Sunda pangolin is the only one ocuring in Singapore, much probably it was sculpted based on this species. That's a lovely model. :)

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 01, 2020 1:12 pm

It is ever so cute, and beautyful too drunken

Even more it is a true gem as it belonged to your uncle's collection and was given to you by your grandmother !!! cheers

RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 01, 2020 1:30 pm

Yes, that's why I am still hesitating over trading it or not with Roger bounce

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 01, 2020 3:40 pm

RtasVadumee wrote:
Yes, that's why I am still hesitating over trading it or not with Roger bounce

Exactly, that was what I told you when you kindly offered it for trade. I think this figure is perfect for your collection even it doesn't match your current collecting tastes. If I find another like that, it will be more than fine for my collection but if you find another like yours, it won't be the same you played as a kid and that your receved from your family. Save your pangolin! Very Happy

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 08, 2020 1:50 am

Tradition must go on and the 9th chapter of this story is a big one.
Susanne not only gave me the largest fox as she gave me the largest pangolin.
The first episode started with the revenge of the pangolins once they were considered during a certain time as the disseminators of the Covid-19.
The fact, is that it is having a positive effect once, for instance, bushmeat vendors in Gabon reported a plunge in sales. It is important that humans understand that some animals are not food.
This is the reissued version of the Safari Giant pangolin. A large, heavy and consistent figure. The level of detail is really interesting but I am sure Safari can do better these days.
You can see a topic by Susanne in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

On "Adage" trunk

Comparison with the "Adage" model

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 08, 2020 3:53 am

Another great episode, with another wonderful figure .. this time a real giant :)
Now I think you can make a really big pyramid of pangolins, with all sizes Very Happy

Thank you also for the comperation photo :)

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 08, 2020 8:55 am

Lucky pangolin to have so many friends with you Very Happy

And, NO ! Pangolins are not food ! And their scales belong to themselves Suspect
I never google pictures of pangolins, I can't bear to see how many humans treat them Sad
But, HURRAAAY ! your pictures are wonderful cheers

Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 08, 2020 10:39 am

Lovely episode and two great figures included

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 7:08 pm

Advicot wrote:
Lovely episode and two great figures included

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 09, 2024 4:33 pm

Upon revisiting this topic, I not only noticed that I had abandoned it, but also realized that despite being developed during the pandemic, I seemed to be happy during that period even though I wasn't very aware of it. I also realize how these wonderful creatures we call pangolins have been quite resilient to humans' excessive interest in money, and in a way, they end up being a life lesson for many of us.
To revive this topic, nothing better than presenting an extraordinary figure of a pangopup. Yes, a baby pangolin. This figure was made by AAA, it is the smallest of two versions although it is 7 inches in size. This figure conveys a sense of realism that is difficult to see through my photos. And if you find the proportions strange for a pangolin, it is important to remember that it is a juvenile at a tender age, hence the proportionally large head and a still well-defined neck.
In the hands, it was also possible to identify the species with some certainty, the relatively short head and tails are typical of a Chinese pangolin, but the most obvious evidence is the generous ear pinnae which are the most defining element of the species. Below, I leave a photo of a real pangolin cub climbing up its parent's tail.

I obtained it through a trade, I hope to get the larger version someday. Here a comparison with the Safari Ltd Incredible Creatures African pangolin.

I have a few more pangolins to show and I'll try to not forget.

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 09, 2024 4:46 pm

A big baby! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 09, 2024 4:49 pm

That's really a a neat sculpt, AAA just continues to surprise me with unusual and wonderful figures. Something about their style that lends not to cute but instead nuanced realistic details and kind of a "grainy" paint finish (as well as just choosing unusual things to represent sometimes) is really appealing. I'm glad you're revisiting pangolins! cheers
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 09, 2024 11:13 pm

What an amazing figure, and so large for a plastic model. Though I have seen the AAA huge animals thread.
This is a really well done pangopup, nice shape and appearance. I never knew the babies were called pangopups?

And the photo of the real baby! I hope he/she clings on tight:)
Back to top Go down
Magofu

Magofu

Country/State : España

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 09, 2024 11:41 pm

Roger wrote:
That's the last episode but I will resume it as always as a new pangolin figure is added to my collection.
The last member is a composition figure, a Hausser Elastolin from 1938. It is a very wonderful piece, my most precious pangolin.
We must be resilient and it was what this figure has been for all these years, I wonder how many trips and collections this figure visited. Even in its short life with me, it already moved a few times.
I don't know if it is the first ever released pangolin figure, I know Pfeiffer also released one in composition material.
I recall a site dedicated to composition models selling it as a long-tailed pangolin but I have no idea if this information can be found in any official source.
The day I received it was really a special collecting day and this is one of my favorite figures in my collection. It is something I never expected to see in my hands but, when there are great people as the friends of this forum, everything is possible.

Pangolin are mammals and closest relatives are Carnivora what seems unbelievable. These animals do not have teeth, they have very long sticky tongues which are often longer than their body and tey are attached near its pelvis. They use their tongues to eat ants, termites, larvae and other insects. So, don't be surprised if you don't see Blaine here. tongue affraid

Comparison with Mojö Fun Indian pangolin, poses and sizes are similar but the vintage model hasn't served as inspiration.

Here the challenge that Kosta has proposed.
Something not recomendable during these days and that is one of the reasons why the Elastolin hasn't participated in this pangolin tree game.

That's a relatively small collection, more pangolin figures exist that I hope to find someday but I want to send a big thanks to Kosta, Yvette, Bojan, Susanne and I am sure I am forgeting someone,... pale Embarassed
Also big thanks to all who accompanied me on this adventure! cheers
Great collection of pangolin figures! and pics
Very, very, very cool!
Back to top Go down
Magofu

Magofu

Country/State : España

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 09, 2024 11:57 pm

Roger wrote:
Thanks everyone for watching and for your interesting comments! Very Happy

Caracal wrote:
very beautiful and big!! cheers cheers Applause

Thank you for these  interesting  explanations..

costicuba wrote:
Everything you wrote a about Pangolins is very well said Roger ! Applause
I am glad to see the two fellows here :)
They really look very nice and atractive, when going all around on the trunk .
It will be a fun...Maybe you can try to show them in different positions ... if you like that :)

Thank you for sharing your pangolin collection.
I know it is one of your favorite animals sunny

I will try to take some more pictures later and Kosta, some of my pangolins told me how much you are aware of my love for these wonderful creatures. Wink
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], big but not that much. Here with the CollectA Indian crested porcupine. affraid affraid

Steve170 wrote:
Thank you Roger for sharing both your pangolin and also your very interesting words on the topic.

This reminds me back to a story I read online (so do not quote this as fact-in case it is not) about white sharks and human interference in california....apparently white sharks fed on seals on the coast of south california. After the film 'Jaws' was released, people got scared and fished to destroy these sharks. This enabled the seal population to spread to the North Coast. Then the sharks became protected by law. So when the shark population rebuilt, they were hunting seals on both the north and south coast of california!! I may have mixed up north and south but this was the story. Nature is beautiful in the way that it finds the perfect balance. Humans have a history of ruining this, whether good intentions or bad....but we are getting better, slowly, in general.

This is an animal I know nothing about yet. But they look very specialised and so should be interesting to learn about.

Nature is wonderful and humans don't have anything to teach to Nature. I think one of the reasons why I don't like too much cinema, it is because of movies like Jaws. But one doesn't make the rule.
I also hope, without being boring, to share some facts about pangolins. Very Happy
What is that wonderful piece of woods?
natural o artificial?

Last edited by Magofu on Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!   The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Revenge of the Pangolins - 11th episode, a useful tail!
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next