Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Advicot needs help sculpting

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

Advicot needs help sculpting Empty
PostSubject: Advicot needs help sculpting   Advicot needs help sculpting EmptyTue Apr 07, 2020 11:13 am

Since Xmas I got some SuperSculpey, and I got making snakes and one tortoise. The problem is now I want to make figures of different species and don't know how. For the size of my figures I would like them to be roughly the size of major brand figures, Isidro's (pardofelis) figures are absolutely amazing, for using the same modelling paste as me.

Any Ideas?

Adam

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Advicot needs help sculpting   Advicot needs help sculpting EmptyTue Apr 07, 2020 12:06 pm

Not sure of which kind of advice you need. In the past I recommended you to practice with plasticine first, and continue or not depending of how satisfactory were the results for you. One important thing is that usually models don't come perfect straight from the start, but you must reshape the general form two or three times before getting the model you have in mind. For example I had to redo my marbled polecat almost from zero three times before get the correct proportions. Once get the perfect shape, you can add the details (fur, etc).
Looking at images of the species you wish the sculpt at the same time that you're sculpting is almost necessary for obtain satisfactory results, tough sometimes with simple models is not needed if you have the model inside your brain. For example for my vulturine guineafowl I didn't look at any image. But the result was a vulturine guineafowl with a too big head and thick neck. So always is better to have a model to look at.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Advicot needs help sculpting   Advicot needs help sculpting EmptyTue Apr 07, 2020 12:15 pm

There is a very good tutorial here !!!
https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t13277-tutorial-silverback-gorilla

The "teacher" is the man who makes the fantastic Southland models Very Happy

This one is perhaps more easy

https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t7998-a-nice-tutorial-to-handmade-figures

A-J

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Advicot needs help sculpting   Advicot needs help sculpting EmptyWed Apr 08, 2020 10:59 am

Here's how I sculpt my figures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS2nIkxqPE8&t=25s

So I start by making a wire frame using bone anatomy pictures of the animal. Then look for muscle anatomy and then finish it off with the rest. That's in (very) short how I work and it works really well for me.

To get the right size and scale you just have to calculate using the animial's right proportions.
For example. I have a cheetah figure that is 4.5 cm in height.
- I know that an actual cheetah is about 90 cm in height.
- By dividing the actual height by the figure height I get the scale (90/4.5=20 --> scale is 1/20)
- If I would want to make a black-backed jackal in the same scale I would look up it's actual size, which is about 48cm,
- and multiply that by the previously found scale of 1/20 and I get the figure size for the jackal (1/20 x 48 = 2.4 cm)
That's the math class for today cyclops

I think most major brands have a scale of about 1/20. But it can differ a bit per animal. They do tent to make their elephants smaller and their rabbits larger

I hope that helps you a bit!

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Advicot needs help sculpting   Advicot needs help sculpting EmptyWed Apr 08, 2020 12:14 pm

This is marvellous, Anne-Joke cheers Applause Applause

Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Advicot needs help sculpting   Advicot needs help sculpting EmptyWed Apr 08, 2020 1:29 pm

Thank you kindly A-J, this will certainly help. Very Happy

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advicot needs help sculpting   Advicot needs help sculpting Empty

Back to top Go down

Advicot needs help sculpting
Page 1 of 1