Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How do YOU categorize your extinct animals?

Go down 
+4
SUSANNE
Pardofelis
RtasVadumee
Saarlooswolfhound
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

How do YOU categorize your extinct animals? Empty
PostSubject: How do YOU categorize your extinct animals?   How do YOU categorize your extinct animals? EmptyMon Apr 13, 2020 7:54 am

There aren't many of these to begin with really, but I figure most collectors here probably have at least 1 figure in this category. I don't have many, only 4 "classicly" extinct animals. I became curious how everyone else displays them in their collection while I'm going through my own shelves. I have my thylacine next to my dingos and my quagga with the rest of my zebras since they went extinct in relatively recent memory (time wise), but my 2 dodo birds I have with my prehistorics since they have been gone for some 500ish years.

And if you'd like, post a photo! Of the figure on display or all of your extinct friends together. I will add a photo when I can. Very Happy

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU categorize your extinct animals?   How do YOU categorize your extinct animals? EmptyMon Apr 13, 2020 10:58 am

I have the same extinct species as you.

I can't display my figures but I think the thylacine should be displayed next tu the Tasmanian devil and the quoll, as part of "Dasyuromorphia" (carnivorous marsupials) while your dodos should be next to your other pigeons or doves if of you have some.

If you prefer to display your figures by geographic area, then the dodo will be next to your lemurs or Aldabra giant tortoise since Mauritius is close to Madagascar and Seychelles.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU categorize your extinct animals?   How do YOU categorize your extinct animals? EmptyMon Apr 13, 2020 10:38 pm

I have my quagga next to my Grevy's sebra and african wild ass, my thylacine next to my Tasmanian devil and close to wombats and kangaroos, and at the opposite side of the self than canids, and my pink-headed duck next to my red-breasted goose and African pygmy goose.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU categorize your extinct animals?   How do YOU categorize your extinct animals? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2020 8:02 am

I display mine so they get along well together and can all look at me cheers
PS : Which usually means : So they look good together, and the tallest ones are in the back   lol!

Wilorvise

Wilorvise

Country/State : Colorado, USA

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU categorize your extinct animals?   How do YOU categorize your extinct animals? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2020 1:39 pm

Little cheap ones, little more expensive ones, regular sized ones... the ones in Michigan in storage, the ones with me in colorado. :)

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU categorize your extinct animals?   How do YOU categorize your extinct animals? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2020 3:01 pm

Most of my extinct figures are mammals, a few fish and reptiles, and a couple birds. Right now, my shelves are arranged by continent/habitat. So, for the terrestrial extinct animals, they are displayed where the fossils were discovered (eg, the American mastodon is on the North American shelves).

My extinct marine figures have their own shelf, however, because I have so many of them (primarily arthropods).

If and when I go back to a taxonomic scheme, they will sit alongside whatever they are believed to be closely related to.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU categorize your extinct animals?   How do YOU categorize your extinct animals? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2020 3:35 pm

This is wonderful cheers

Show me your displays, and I will tell you are Applause Applause

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU categorize your extinct animals?   How do YOU categorize your extinct animals? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2020 6:09 am

I suppose I should have clarified, what I meant by classicly extinct animals was "recently extinct animals", aka not counting dinosaurs and other prehistorics (I have plenty of those). Instead focusing on the animals most people use as examples for humans damaging wildlife historically etc.

Here are my 4 figures that I have currently. I need the safari dodo to complete my trinity of "big brand" dodos. And my Thylacine is lonely and needs his buddies to come (collectA and Southlands, someday).

BUT I just found some new extinct friends that should be here in a few weeks. Very Happy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU categorize your extinct animals?   How do YOU categorize your extinct animals? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2020 6:13 am

Its great to read how everyone displays their models! I find it interesting how differently people think and categorize, and yet we all love this hobby the same. Applause Thanks for sharing everybody!

Back to top Go down
CWGross

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU categorize your extinct animals?   How do YOU categorize your extinct animals? EmptySun Jun 07, 2020 5:37 am

My collection is deliberately a reconstruction of Canada's ecosystems at the end of the Pleistocene, so part of the point is mixing my woolly mammoths and giant sloths in with my mallards and black bears :)
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU categorize your extinct animals?   How do YOU categorize your extinct animals? EmptySun Jun 07, 2020 5:23 pm

I would like have those dodos. cheers cheers

Splendid figures.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do YOU categorize your extinct animals?   How do YOU categorize your extinct animals? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do YOU categorize your extinct animals?
Page 1 of 1