Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround

Go down 
+4
Duck-Anch-Amun
SUSANNE
Saarlooswolfhound
VexVamp
8 posters
AuthorMessage
VexVamp

VexVamp

Country/State : United States

Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround Empty
PostSubject: Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround   Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 1:21 am

Just got back from a roadtrip to Yellowstone, and had a great time. It was my second trip, and I was thrilled to see a pack of 32 wolves (Lamar Valley), 3 black bears, 1 grizzly guarding an elk kill, around 5 moose, 4 eagles, 2 ospreys, 2 red foxes, bull elk calling out while vying for the attention of the cows, countless pronghorn and bison, and many, many other beautiful animals. I was even able to take a few figure photos, which I'll be posting to my Instagram (vex_collects) though not as many as I had originally wanted. Looking for real animals took priority, and I usually ended up back at camp after the light was already gone.

Anyway, one unexpected find on my trip was this Planet Earth / Ja-Ru wolf figure, which is clearly a knockoff of the Safari Ltd Vanishing Wild wolf. I found it for sale at a gas station amongst numerous other knockoff figures (pictured below) but what I find odd is that most of those are copies of more recent figures. It seems weird to me that this brand would choose a relatively old model to copy, especially since Safari does have more recent wolf figures. That, and this figure is quite a bit smaller than the original, which I also thought was a bit strange. It's lighter and softer than the Safari one, and presumably at least partially hollow. Besides the sloppy paint job, the plastic part of the fur also has much less dimension and texture. If I could make an apt comparison, it would be that it reminds me of a Safari wolf that got shrunk in the dryer. Either way, it fascinated me, and I knew I had to get it so I could document it here.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://VexCollects.deviantart.com
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround   Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 1:26 am

Oh wow! I live nearish to YNP (about 3 hours away), and have only ever seen 1 wolf there (in Hayden Valley). What a great trip! Congrats. :)

As for the wolf, I have one similar. There are lots of these knock offs around, I see new boxes of new knock offs regularly and as you describe they are usually of somewhat older models in poorer quality. Congrats on the new wolf nonetheless!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
VexVamp

VexVamp

PostSubject: Re: Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround   Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 1:38 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Oh wow! I live nearish to YNP (about 3 hours away), and have only ever seen 1 wolf there (in Hayden Valley). What a great trip! Congrats. :)

As for the wolf, I have one similar.  There are lots of these knock offs around, I see new boxes of new knock offs regularly and as you describe they are usually of somewhat older models in poorer quality. Congrats on the new wolf nonetheless!

Oh man, I wish I lived that close! Unfortunately it's a two day trip for me. I've gotten very lucky with wolves in Yellowstone. My first trip I saw one running alongside the road by our car, then one crossing the road, and finally we managed to track down the wolf biologist Rick McIntyre (since retired, though I plan to order his books in the future) and he let me look through his spotting scope at a young wolf being harassed by a pair of coyotes (I suspect it was attempting to get into their den). On this trip the two encounters were at a distance, probably because the pups are no longer forced to stay in one location that the pack needed to keep coming back to. The first day I managed to see the whole Lamar Valley pack, which is currently huge. It really was amazing, and I hope someday to take at least some part in continuing their return and finding a balance for the locals that will allow them to coexist more affectively.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround   Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 2:31 am

VexVamp wrote:
Saarlooswolfhound wrote:

As for the wolf, I have one similar.  There are lots of these knock offs around, I see new boxes of new knock offs regularly and as you describe they are usually of somewhat older models in poorer quality. Congrats on the new wolf nonetheless!

Oh man, I wish I lived that close! Unfortunately it's a two day trip for me. I've gotten very lucky with wolves in Yellowstone. My first trip I saw one running alongside the road by our car, then one crossing the road, and finally we managed to track down the wolf biologist Rick McIntyre (since retired, though I plan to order his books in the future) and he let me look through his spotting scope at a young wolf being harassed by a pair of coyotes (I suspect it was attempting to get into their den). On this trip the two encounters were at a distance, probably because the pups are no longer forced to stay in one location that the pack needed to keep coming back to. The first day I managed to see the whole Lamar Valley pack, which is currently huge. It really was amazing, and I hope someday to take at least some part in continuing their return and finding a balance for the locals that will allow them to coexist more affectively.

Oh boy, you have been graced by the wolf gods to see them so many times! My family loves YNP and tries to make one trip a year at least (though ours are just driving around day trips). Did you stay multiple days or go hiking? Or did you see all these from the roads? I would love to meet Doug Smith, the current wolf reintroduction project leader. I've heard the Lamar pack is doing well these days, 32 strong is a good sign. As you say, I just hope they stay out of trouble and that the locals can tolerate them.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
VexVamp

VexVamp

PostSubject: Re: Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround   Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 3:57 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
VexVamp wrote:
Saarlooswolfhound wrote:

Oh boy, you have been graced by the wolf gods to see them so many times! My family loves YNP and tries to make one trip a year at least (though ours are just driving around day trips). Did you stay multiple days or go hiking? Or did you see all these from the roads? I would love to meet Doug Smith, the current wolf reintroduction project leader. I've heard the Lamar pack is doing well these days, 32 strong is a good sign. As you say, I just hope they stay out of trouble and that the locals can tolerate them.

Yes, I feel really lucky to have seen so many. These were all across multiple days. I think I saw wolves three days out of the first trip and two days out of this last one. The ones close to the road were from the car, but the ones I saw this trip and the one from the spotting scope were from finding people congregated at a pullout and going to check out what they were looking at. Plus we were staying at Pebble Creek this time, which is right by Lamar Valley. Last time we were in Silvergate, so still not far. Someone counted all 32 wolves that first day, and they all seem to be doing well, which is amazing. I went trail riding and the guide I guess was also a hunter and did that spiel about wolves killing all the elk and I'm like...? These species naturally existed together for how long? So you know, elk population is not affected by anything like overhunting by humans, climate change, or habitat destruction? Just wolves, huh? Okay then. Needless to say I liked the horse a lot more than him.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround   Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 8:22 am

Gosh, you surely had a fantastic time there !!!
I'll have to see if I can find your instagram page to see the pictures cheers

Very, very interesting model to find in a gas station Shocked
Laughing Laughing At least in this case it is easy to see the difference between the real stuff and the copy Very Happy
I suppose that the maufacturer will use that as proof that is is not a copy Laughing

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Oh wow! I live nearish to YNP (about 3 hours away), and ........

Laughing Laughing nearish, - for a Dane that is to the other end of the country Shocked USA is SO huge Very Happy

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround   Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 8:39 am

VexVamp wrote:
.....the guide I guess was also a hunter and did that spiel about wolves killing all the elk and I'm like...? These species naturally existed together for how long? So you know, elk population is not affected by anything like overhunting by humans, climate change, or habitat destruction? Just wolves, huh? Okay then. Needless to say I liked the horse a lot more than him.

I saw on TV that the main reason for the decline of the elks in Yellowstone is, that people introduced a new, larger, species of trout in the local lakes.
These do not go up in the rivers, and they eat the young of the smaller trout.
The original trout used to migrate up the rivers to spawn, and were a major source of food for the bears , who caught them in the rivers during the period when the elks had their calves.
So now the bears have to find other food...which is elk calves !!!
Bears are browsers and have a much different ability to sniff out the new borne calves than the wolves, so where wolves take one if they stumble over it, the bears methodically search the area and take almost all Suspect
There is almost only old elk in Yellowstone now, and the wolwes take the old and weak ones, so for a fool it may look like the wolwes are the reason for the decline !!

It all adds up to HUMAN greed for larger fish is the reason why the number of elk is declining so fast in Yellowstone Suspect

PS ...poor horse with such an idiot owner !
Who employed him ? confused

Last edited by SUSANNE on Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround   Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 8:50 am

Unfortunately thats the attitude of many hunters around here. They seem jealous of any predator around (hawks, raccoons, ravens, coyotes, wolves, cougars, bears, i could go on and on). Its a shame really. I have heard YNP have had issues with independant guides lately...I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your trip though. I think the park is so often taken for granted. It makes me smile to hear about your adventure.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], firstly, 3 hours is nothing for my family! I have 2 siblings who live a State away, it takes 10-12+ hours to drive there to visit, and we go each way a few times a year also.

That documentary was groundbreaking! It was presented by Smithsonian, and it debunked many myths of wolves and the park (if I remember the name I will post it). Native cutthroat trout (many subspecies found nowhere else in the world) have been pushed to extinction by predatory lake trout introduced by man as an exciting sport fish.  Evil or Very Mad  And just as you described, they devour native fish and spawn in deep water where bears cant reach them. Instead, they use their incredibly powerful nose to seek out nearly scentless elk calves, decimating herds. I could include studies on how wolf harassment also seemingly doesnt affect elk calf births/abortions also but I will reign myself in or I will gallop off into wolf science! Wink

I don't mean to hijack your topic my friend... once again, your new wolf model is lovely. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround   Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 11:32 am

Interesting informations about the Yellowstone Nationalpark and it seems that you can really have cool trips and adventures there! It´s have been always on my bucket list, but your adventures make me really want to visit it soon one day.
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround   Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 4:18 pm

Sounds like a phantasmagorical trip! I have a few figures by the brand Jaru which include an Argentine tegu and a Mwanza flat headed agama

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround   Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 6:51 pm

Interesting catch and a nice wolf

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround   Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround EmptyWed Sep 30, 2020 11:57 pm

Not long ago Yvette presented some Toy Major wolves with the same moulds of the Vanishing Wild series and with a quality very similar to the Safari models.
Now you are showing this version that shows clearly that some designs were used exaustively and they have a long story to tell.

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

PostSubject: Re: Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround   Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 12:06 am

Advicot wrote:
Sounds like a phantasmagorical trip! I have a few figures by the brand Jaru which include an Argentine tegu and a Mwanza flat headed agama
Really? I need photos and a way to get the figures of the tegu and agama.
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround   Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 10:56 am

Yes, I can share photos, however I have had them since I was very small (some of my first figures) and I have been scouring the web for more, but it seems they are quite elusive and not very cheap Rolling Eyes

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround   Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 1:30 pm

So, may I have photos?
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround   Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 6:06 pm

Yes, sorry I have been out all day today, give me a second to take them Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround   Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 6:07 pm

Ok.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround   Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround Empty

Back to top Go down

Planet Earth / Ja-Ru Wolf Walkaround
Page 1 of 1