Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Megaptera's Collection

Go down 
+22
Megaptera
jarda
Paleochris
George
Joliezac
rogerpgvg
Jill
Kikimalou
Bonnie
lucky luke
costicuba
spacelab
endogenylove
Caracal
Duck-Anch-Amun
SUSANNE
Taos
bmathison1972
Advicot
landrover
Pardofelis
Tiermann
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 33  Next
AuthorMessage
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 11:45 pm

Unbelievable! I just have to migrate to Germanie from South of France to get new papo releases! scratch bounce
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 11:54 pm

The good old Chinese woman, who owns the shop has maybe some connections Cool
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 12:33 am

Cormorant seems to be from the P.R.C. factory, it shares the same concept of the albatross. It seems I will add the mole to my wish list. Very Happy

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 8:36 am

Megaptera wrote:
Today, in my local Papo shop, I found some new Papo models. So, I've got the Double-crested Cormorant, the Hermann's Tortoise, the European Mole, the Common Pheasant and the Golden Jackal:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

All are must haves, now i hope to find that soon

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 11:28 am

Now, with a different day light, the Papo Tortoise could also be a Russian Tortoise with this painting:

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 1:49 pm

WOW !!! They are marvellous cheers

Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 2:12 pm

Thank you, Susanne:D
They are all well made. The shop owner reserved the best looking ones for me. The Tortoise is sadly very different to a Hermann's Tortoise. So, it fits better to a Russian or a Greek Tortoise.
Now, I'm still waiting for the Edible Crab, the Roman snail and the Bee bounce
Back to top Go down
endogenylove

endogenylove

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 3:25 pm

I think that I will go with the identification of Greek Tortoise for this mess of a figure. It’s certainly no Hermann’s Tortoise. I won’t buy it, because I’m still holding out hope that maybe they will fix the colors and present it more like the promo image at some point.

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 4:04 pm

Congrats on the models. It seems papo has made up a few controversial figures.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Duck-Anch-Amun

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 4:16 pm

endogenylove wrote:
I think that I will go with the identification of Greek Tortoise for this mess of a figure. It’s certainly no Hermann’s Tortoise. I won’t buy it, because I’m still holding out hope that maybe they will fix the colors and present it more like the promo image at some point.

Ok now I finally understand why I was so confused all the time. scratch
In german, the Hermann´s Tortoise (Testudo hermanni) is called Griechische Landschildkröte. Translated, this would mean Greek Tortoise.
But the Greek Tortoise (Testudo graeca) is called in german Maurische Landschildkröte. This means moors, the Muslim inhabitants of Maghreb, the Iberian Peninsula, Sicily, and Malta during the Middle Ages
study
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 5:46 pm

About the tortoise, I'm familiar with both species as they are so common where I live. I think it's just a tortoise carrying and missing identifiers from both (or more) species. Also the model is too much on the large size for such a small reptile.. I mean it's almost as big as the jackal. So, for a small "generic" tortoise, the new Schleich is more appealing to me.

Anyway, since we love to specify these toy models, we can count some identifiers and check who's winning.. Razz

from wikipedia:

Greek tortoise                  vs                        Hermann's tortoise
Large symmetrical markings on the top of the head   -------------- Only small scales on the head
Large scales on the front legs    -----------   Small scales on the front legs
Undivided carapace over the tail --------------  Tail carapace almost always divided
Notable spurs on each thigs    -------------    No spurs
Isolated flecks on the spine and rib plates    --------------    Isolated flecks only on the spinal plates
Dark central fleck on the underside    -------------    Two black bands on the underside
Shell somewhat oblong rectangular    ------------    Oval shell shape
Widely stretched spinal plates    ------------    Small spinal plates
Movable posterior plates on underside    ---------------   Fixed plates on underside
No tail spur    -------------------   Tail bears a spur at the tip
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 6:48 pm

The tortoise is....a failure! Let's just all agree on that <evil grin>.

It was sculpted as one species, later repainted and advertised as another, and then the final product looks like neither.
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 8:13 pm

At least, we could use it as a Russian Tortoise. They have a great variety of carapace colours.

I have a Russian Tortoise as pet and I know this species very well. The overall shape doesn't fit to the Testudo. But the colouration, especially the one of the carapace is typical for the Russian or also for the Turkish subspecies of T. gracea.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 06, 2020 12:49 am

Kostas made an interesting research. It is also clear for me, Papo reused the sculpt of some giant tortoise to offer a different species and as Blaine pointed, they were not even consistent in that task. Obviously I do not mean that the figure has no interest. I have myself both Safari American white and brown pelicans sharing the same mould and despite being similar birds, they show different shape in real and it is obviously not represented once the sculpt is the same. I hope they're not wanting to make the same with their tortoises as they did with their tropical frogs.

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2020 8:53 pm

Today, my next newcomers arrived. I've chosen the better version of the AAA Hermit Crab, the Bullyland Norwegian Rat, the Bullyland Meissner Lop and the Safari Bat Ray:
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2020 9:28 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2020 9:32 pm

Thank you, Andreas Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2020 9:34 pm

That's the hermit crab that arrived with me today, and it's beautiful, any ideas regarding species?

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2020 9:36 pm

If you don't want the other hermit crab, I'd be happy to take it under my wing

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2020 9:40 pm

Beautiful models again! I like the rat especially.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2020 9:43 pm

Advicot wrote:
If you don't want the other hermit crab, I'd be happy to take it under my wing

I think it could be the Green-striped Hermit Crab.
Maybe we find something to trade, then you can have the other one Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2020 9:45 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Beautiful models again! I like the rat especially.

Thank you very much. The model is very tiny, but the details are astonishing.
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2020 10:08 pm

Send me your wishlist via PM and we can work something out, you might have some more figures I like. :)

By the way that species works well as that species, so that's what it is going as in my collection

Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2020 10:47 pm

I like this Bully rat a lot! cheers
Back to top Go down
endogenylove

endogenylove

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2020 12:55 am

Where has this Safari bat ray come from? I’m pretty certain I’ve never seen or heard of it before? Is it a Tube figure or a retired figure? I like it and the rat very much!

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Megaptera's Collection
Page 3 of 33Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 33  Next