Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Fantasy Wiki Topic: Any help please?

Go down 
+2
Advicot
aschuck
6 posters
AuthorMessage
aschuck

aschuck

Country/State : Michigan

The Fantasy Wiki Topic:  Any help please? Empty
PostSubject: The Fantasy Wiki Topic: Any help please?   The Fantasy Wiki Topic:  Any help please? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2020 5:40 am

Dear Sts Friends:

Well, I was looking around at Taw, and I started thinking, what if somebody created a wiki just for fantasy figures? This wiki would be like Taw, only for the fantasy pieces from Schleich, Safari, and other brands. I think it would help out other fantasy collectors like me. So I was wondering, does anyone else think this is a good idea? If so, then please reply to this topic.

Aschuck
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: The Fantasy Wiki Topic: Any help please?   The Fantasy Wiki Topic:  Any help please? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2020 10:38 am

ELC have their own Fantasy page, but I need to get in contact with my brother to make TAI photos

I think it would be nice to show the fantasy, but not many of us do collect fantasy, but I like the idea

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: The Fantasy Wiki Topic: Any help please?   The Fantasy Wiki Topic:  Any help please? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2020 11:26 am

It is a great idea ! cheers
But to make a topic like TAW, you need to find somebody who is really home in the computer world, I am sure, and not cheap either scratch
Perhaps a Blog is easier ? I don't know much about blogs either, though Embarassed

Good luck , dear friend flower I love you

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The Fantasy Wiki Topic: Any help please?   The Fantasy Wiki Topic:  Any help please? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2020 11:28 pm

It is not exactly the same but Toy Animal Wiki has a section dedicated to Legendary Creatures. You can access it directly from this link
https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Legendary_Creatures
This link gives you a readable table with direct links to each creature. Actually, some have very good descriptions, Bowheadwhale did a great work on most of them. The problem, it that this wiki is mostly for animals and as we don’t have editors enough to take care of everything, the fantasy section gets a little unpopulated.

As an idea, it is good and surely, if it takes shape, this section is not needed anymore on TAW. It could even be migrated to that new Wiki, though, as Susanne already pointed, you probably have no idea how difficult is to put a wiki to work. ... yes, and there is also a needed payment and it is not cheap. You can probably buy a unicorn per month with the invested money.

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: The Fantasy Wiki Topic: Any help please?   The Fantasy Wiki Topic:  Any help please? EmptyThu Dec 24, 2020 4:34 am

I would think an entire wiki like TAW might be a bit much, I'm not sure how much is out there compared to toy animals. Would it also include plastic models really aimed at adult collectors, like the McFarlane dragons? What about movie/TV spinoff figures like my Star Wars fish? Or Dungeons and Dragons toys?

If the TAW management and users as a whole don't mind the Legendary Creatures section becoming more heavily populated, perhaps we can ask members here who do collect fantasy to submit photos. But who to take ownership of it? I have no computer skills, so can't volunteer.

I have some dragon and weirdo/alien figures I would be willing to add, if wanted and when I can get to them. I've started boxing up my figures I don't want to risk losing if I have to move quickly, so they aren't here where I can grab them.
Back to top Go down
aschuck

aschuck

Country/State : Michigan

PostSubject: Okay, here's the real reason why.   The Fantasy Wiki Topic:  Any help please? EmptyThu Dec 24, 2020 5:55 am

Dear Sts Friends:

Okay, some of you might be wondering just why I started this topic in the first place. The reason why I started this topic is because I wanted to help other fantasy collectors, like me. For example, what if there's a fantasy collector out there who wants certain Bayala Schleich Fantasy pieces, or has some of these, and wants to either make a database of figures that he laready has, or he wants to make a fantasy searchlist. Well, what does this person do, when they go to Taw, and don't find the fantasy thing they're looking for? That's why the fantasy section of Taw really needs some work. Just think, at least a few of us on this forum are fantasy collectors, and if you have a huge collection like me, then of course you would want to make a database of your figures, right? All I'm saying is that if a fantasy figure collector comes along, who wants to know more about Schleich and Safari, and Papo figures, then there should be sections of Taw devoted to those companies' fantasy figures. See? It works, right? Well, do with this idea what you will, I'm just trying to help out other collectors. Anyway, if we need more fantasy pics, I would be happy to help.

Aschuck
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: The Fantasy Wiki Topic: Any help please?   The Fantasy Wiki Topic:  Any help please? EmptyThu Dec 24, 2020 6:41 am

Aschuck,

I guess we are all understanding your idea because this is the reasons of STS and TAW’s births. Before that there was no forum and no database  for animal toys collectors except collectors websites.
When Torben founded STS I stopped participating in other place like LG or DTF because I spent my free time to build this village with and for ‘Animal toys’ collectors, it was a big job.
When Tim opened TAW and asked us to help him building that great database, I closed my own collection’s website to participate to the adventure. Everything needed to be build then and we had a lot of work, we had to make choices and some of us spent less time on STS.
I still have a bittersweet feeling about this, STS paid the price of TAW birth and I love the two babies.
Now we have to stand or rebuild STS old traditions like the banner contest or the STS ‘Animal of the year’, it is a nice job but it is a job believe me.
And what about TAW ? It is a HUGE task and we are not enough for it. TAW is far to be the ‘complete’ database we dreamed of, there is still a lot of work to do.
Doing the same thing for fantasy figures is an excellent idea but you need to know where you put your feet.
The problem isnt we need Fantasy creature pics. You can’t ask ‘Animal figures’ collectors to build a Fantasy creatures wiki and tell you will help with pics.
If you want to give birth for a Fantasy Wiki, you will have to find enough Fantasy figures collectors for the task and it means you will spend less time Here alas. Bittersweet...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Fantasy Wiki Topic: Any help please?   The Fantasy Wiki Topic:  Any help please? Empty

Back to top Go down

The Fantasy Wiki Topic: Any help please?
Page 1 of 1