Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs

Go down 
+5
Bonnie
SUSANNE
Kikimalou
Saarlooswolfhound
pipsxlch
9 posters
AuthorMessage
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs Empty
PostSubject: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptySun Jan 17, 2021 5:14 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Very interesting, such behaviour demands a certain sophistication.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptySun Jan 17, 2021 5:23 am

I read about this! Super intriguing concept for such a unique and little studied species.

We live in important scientific days, despite Covid. Days where the biggest canine that ever lived is discovered to not be lupine, electric eels hunt together, and all species of river dolphins are now classified as endangered.  study

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptySun Jan 17, 2021 10:26 am

Impressive discovery, nature never stop astonishing us with so much incredible stories !
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptySun Jan 17, 2021 11:21 am

I didn't know that at all Shocked

Fish are much more versatile than they seem at a first glance Very Happy

Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptySun Jan 17, 2021 1:29 pm

How interesting! Shocked Thank you so much for sharing this story- animals are much more intelligent than most people think! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptySun Jan 17, 2021 2:08 pm

Interesting research. The only electric eel figure I am aware of is by Kaiyodo, but it's probably not a Volta's. It was made before it was discovered (in 2019) that there is more than one electric eel species.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptySun Jan 17, 2021 10:39 pm

Interesting

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptyMon Jan 18, 2021 4:40 am

I remember reading a study years ago- I can't say where now- that discussed intelligence in the African cichlid fish. (There are many species and even genera of African cichlids; I don't know what species was/were studies, though zebras are likely due to their availability and ease of maintenance) I do remember it compared the intelligence of the cichlids to preteen human children of around 12 years. It looked at the ability of the fish to learn by example- the fish could observe other fish being trained, the fish did very well here. They also tested the fish's mathematical ability, they could understand at least to to 8, which is impressive. And look how we treat fish. Sad
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptyMon Jan 18, 2021 8:34 am

Even a dog is not more intelligent than a 4 year old child, so absolutely for sure a cichlid is NOT as intelligent as a 12 year old teen.

P. S. there are many dozens of species of African cichlids that are very easily available in any aquarium shop and very easy to keep. In fact it would be a rare sight if a tank on an aquarium shop selling African cichlids contains only one species, instead four or five intermixed - at least in the shops I visited. Same goes for public aquariums, where is the most usual to have a "Tanganiyka tank" or a "Malawi tank" with a big mix of cichlids of said lakes (Victoria lake cichlids are less popular than the other two).
With Zebra, you mean Zebra mbuna (Maylandia zebra), right? Or Zebra tilapia (Tilapia buttikoferi)? Both species are African and common in aquaculture. Less likely would be the Zebra shelldweller (Neolamprologus similis), Zebra sardine cichlid (Cyprichromis zonatus) or the critically endangered Zebra obliquidens (Haplochromis latifasciatus).

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 4:35 am

I strongly disagree with you. We generally concieve that mammals and birds are the most intelligent groups on earth, but there is burgeoning science that defies that old way of thinking. Many reptiles like the monitor family and crocodiles are very intelligent and can be trained just like any dog. Fish especially, have more smarts than most people give them credit for. Domestic goldfish and bettas are recorded as being very intelligent amongst their aquatic friends. The issue with most thinking is that anything with a small brain can't be smart but that is simply not true and is proved wrong every day. I admit, it's a difficult thing to quantify, but intelligence surely isn't restricted to humans. We have arbitrary rules for what can be considered "intelligent". Such as the word "cooperative", if an animal doesn't comply to human commands it's considered stupid. I would consider that uncooperative, not unintelligent.

And by the way, Chaser, a border collie,  knew over 1,000 words/commands before she died last year. I wouldn't be one to underestimate the intelligence of other species. Humans just don't know how understand another species' sophistication and we merely scratch the surface with most studies.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 5:42 am

I personally knew a black tegu that would come when his name was called, sit and lie down on command (when he felt like it and a treat was in hand). So the reptile brain isn't so slow and stupid necessarily. Having worked around various monitor species, there's a definite intelligence working in them.

Many fish have also impressed me, most notably members of the Cichlidae. But I'm just a layman. All the same, they show good memories- they learn their caretakers vs. strange humans quickly, and whether you're feeding them or cleaning their tank. It all comes down to our extreme anthropocentrism, the further from human something is/seems the lesser it must be. Like how 'fish don't feel pain'. Of course they do, and if you are yourself smart enough to learn to read them they express it loud and clear! They just can't emote with their faces and eyes like a primate does.

The cichlids in the study were most likely mbunas, species or hybrids unknown, as that is generally what is called a 'zebra' here in the states. And I don't think anyone meant that they were in all respects equal to a preteen human- just that in some areas they compared favorably. Learning by example is something some humans never seem to grasp.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 1:27 pm

Very interesting to read! And of course- Chaser- I never knew she died! That's just so sad, she was the most wonderful and intelligent dog! Sad Sad
All these are very good points- and also it's difficult to categorise because animals show intelligence in different ways. I read an interesting book once about how we are classed as intelligent because of our ability to talk, show emotions, perform complicated tasks, but if you were to tell us to hunt together as a pack like wolves I'm sure our tactics and teamwork wouldn't be close to theirs! There were other examples, but it basically made the point that we are intelligent in what we have to do, and other animals excel in other areas which they need to do.
And this is probably really controversial, but I believe that most animals understand everything we say to them, and know a lot more about the world than we may think. After hearing peoples' experiences with their pets, how they have reacted in certain situations, and after doing lots of research on animal communication, I believe that it is possible to 'talk' to animals, and for them to talk back- but telepathically of course Laughing ! It's very hard to believe, but I have read many success stories of this and so now I have been convinced, and I think that it's definitely an area which needs more research. To just read any of Pea Horsley's books (Definitely worth a read) is enough to open your mind about this sort of thing- I still find it hard to believe, but she can talk to rabbits, snakes, mice, as well as horses, dogs, cats- any animals! I probably sound mad, but to put it simply animals are all much more intelligent than we think!Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 10:48 pm

Intelligence ? What a beautiful word.

Seriously, animals are of course far less intelligent than us ! The proof ? Most of them are unable to choose between a Safari ltd, a Papo or a Schleich figurine. I know it is sometimes hard even for great collectors but it is impossible to make a choice for a Cichlid. More than that, none of them can tell us if a model is definitively too big or too small, too static or not enough.
And the worse, none of them is collecting human models, with or without a base. What to say more ?
Humans have bigger brain because they need it to do serious and vital things like discussing about their collecting choice. monkey
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 10:53 pm

Kikimalou wrote:

Seriously, animals are of course far less intelligent than us ! The proof ? Most of them are unable to choose between a Safari ltd, a Papo or a Schleich figurine. I know it is sometimes hard even for great collectors but it is impossible to make a choice for a Cichlid. More than that, none of them can tell us if a model is definitively too big or too small, too static or not enough.
And the worse, none of them is collecting human models, with or without a base. What to say more ?
Humans have bigger brain because they need it to do serious and vital things like discussing about their collecting choice. monkey
Laughing cheers Applause

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 12:41 am

Kikimalou wrote:

Yes that is what I try to tell myself! Laughing But then I would always love to hope that my dogs understand what I say Laughing !
And I laughed imagining a Cichlid collecting human models Laughing !
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 12:43 am

Cichlid would collect frogmen and Chamois some alpinists Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 12:47 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Cichlid would collect frogmen and Chamois some alpinists Laughing  
Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 3:35 am

Kikimalou wrote:

Laughing cheers lol!
Kiki nailed it ! sunny

pipsxlch

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 4:33 am

Kiki got it perfect! cheers Applause lol!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 7:14 am

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 7:38 am

Wonderful drawing Kelly!

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 11:57 am

cheers Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs   Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs Empty

Back to top Go down

Volta's Electric Eels Hunt in Packs
Page 1 of 1