Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa

Go down 
+20
George
Jill
Katarzyna
75senta75
Night Elf
Caracal
thebritfarmer
Shanti
Dunfold
Ana
sunny
Advicot
costicuba
pipsxlch
Babdo
SUSANNE
Taos
Mitsukuni
Saarlooswolfhound
Bonnie
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14 ... 23  Next
AuthorMessage
George

George

Country/State : England

My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptySun May 23, 2021 10:56 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
Andalusian horses are normally only grey or black, so I am going to treat mine as a Lusitano as they can have a wider range of colours.

Actually, not any more! Very Happy Grey, followed by bay and black, are the commonest colours for Andalusians by far, but the old commonly held idea for model horses that anything else should be shown as a Lusitano is now out of date. Their breed society updated the studbook rules and put in the phrase 'any colour', so will now accept a huge range of colours as purebred, rather than insisting they weren't allowed into the studbook (unless they greyed out, in which case they were just registered as 'grey'!)
Chestnut is allowed, all cream dilutes are allowed (palomino, buckskin, cremello, smoky), all kinds of dun are allowed, and they've even got a new gene cropped up in recent years which is now called pearl, and affects other colours in a similar way to cream.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Here's a good link with colour examples and a bit on history if you scroll down.

Roger wrote:
They went a little far with your Tennessee, having a vague idea how Tennessees are used in their shows, I was not expecting to see such a vain one as you pointed.

This is perfectly normal for TWH showing - the braids originated as a practical way of keeping the mane and forelock tucked up to better show the horse's head and neck (welsh cobs are shown with a single braid behind the ears, too), but people liked to decorate them with coloured ribbon or bows to make their horse stand out, and now it's a traditional part of show turnout.

Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptySun May 23, 2021 5:03 pm

Wonderful new additions Applause  Applause  Applause  Applause .Here are a few more variations of the rearing Andalusian. Smile [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptySun May 23, 2021 11:04 pm

Thanks for your expert knowledge on Andalusians, George, that's useful to know, both about the Andalusian horses and the Tennessee horses.

Great selection of Andalusians, Taylor. I find the spotted horse on the left particularly interesting.

Taos

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptyMon May 24, 2021 3:24 pm

I forgot some more variations of the Peruvian Paso. Smile
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptyMon May 24, 2021 10:22 pm

They even made one in silver! Always a bit hard to tell from a photo, but the pinto does stand out as the best looking colour version. From what I've been able to find out, pinto Peruvian Pasos are rare, and they are overos rather than tobianos. Do the horse experts know whether that's right?

George

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptyTue May 25, 2021 12:11 am

I've always read that pinto isn't found in purebreds, but I know they have 'partblood' pintos which are 75% peruvian paso, and those are naturally gaited just like the pure breed. So it's fine to have a model which looks very typey but is tobiano, it's realistic, you just have to note down that it's a crossbred if you keep records or enter shows.

Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptyTue May 25, 2021 5:03 pm

Yes,according to my book-Horses of the World-the Peruvian Paso only comes in whole colours,most commonly chestnut and bay and roan.It doesn't mention pinto as an allowable colour.

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptyTue May 25, 2021 7:36 pm

Thanks for the information! Mine is a crossbreed then.

Taos

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptyThu May 27, 2021 10:22 pm

It could also be Breyer being Breyer and not really looking at standards and just putting attractive colours on their models Smile Smile

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptyFri May 28, 2021 4:10 am

what a beautiful looking mustang ! unusual and striking, I think the detail on the face, the chiselling, is remarkable
I was surprised to see such feathered fetlocks ! I didn't think mustangs had alot of hair there ? I always thought they were sleek all over.

you must have an amazing collection of 1/32nd scale animals

rogerpgvg wrote:

Two of the horses that came with the donkey are new sculpts in my collection, a Mustang and a prancing Morgan.

The Mustang looks a bit like an attacking felid; the Morgan seems to be taken aback by it:

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptyMon May 31, 2021 9:42 pm

Taos wrote:
It could also be Breyer being Breyer and not really looking at standards and just putting attractive colours on their models Smile Smile

I am sure that's the real reason. But I was more thinking: given that I got this pinto, what kind of horse could it represent?

sunny wrote:
what a beautiful looking mustang ! unusual and striking, I think the detail on the face, the chiselling, is remarkable
I was surprised to see such feathered fetlocks ! I didn't think mustangs had alot of hair there ? I always thought they were sleek all over.

Taos and Saarlooshund told me that mustangs often have feathering, so it may be quite a typical looking mustang.
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 4:41 pm

It could represent a Paso Fino-either Puerto Rican or Colombian(colour wise) but the gait of these horses is slightly different to the Peruvian Paso.

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 6:56 pm

My next bunch of Stablemates, the Deluxe Horse Box (issued last year, and I think no longer in production). It’s a rather large box, and I am still wondering whether it was a good idea to buy it, as it occupies so much space. It does have several sculpts that I didn’t have yet, some of which are quite hard to get because they have only been introduced in the last few years.

The back of the box tells us what breed the horses are. A few are different from the breeds that the sculpts were originally intended to represent.

First, we have a Paint. This sculpt from 1998 was originally meant to represent a thoroughbred, but I don’t think they can be pintos, so Breyer has called this one a Paint instead.

I already had the Paint sculpt (as a proper bay thoroughbred), and the Morgan (sculpt also from 1998) isn’t a new sculpt for me either. But I really like the buckskin colour.

All the other horses have sculpts that are new in my collection. It includes my first heavy horse from Breyer, a Brabant (sculpt 2006). Normally, this sculpt is called a Belgian, but Brabant is in Belgium and I suppose the horses are quite similar. Actually, I am also a Brabant (a Northerly one), but no, I don’t look similar. It’s a good-looking, proud horse.

Then we have a Thoroughbred (2010), though this sculpt was originally a Warmblood. Confusing! It seems too big, too robust for a thoroughbred to me, but I read on STS that American thoroughbreds can indeed look like that.

The box contains a horse that is named a Warmblood too, a jumping horse. Very handsome horse, it doesn’t have overdone mane or tail hair as some Breyers have (sculpt 2006).

Good looking face, but unfortunately the white of the mane isn’t exactly in the right place. Not a big thing, but usually Breyer does better than that.

And here is one with overdone mane, an Andalusian (sculpt called Mirado from 2017). Another Andalusian! (At some point, this sculpt was also used as a Lusitanian in a different colour.) Although it isn’t my favourite sculpt, I do like the red bay colour.

Even more overdone is the Arabian (2018). It looks like a horse on steroids!

And finally, a Lipizzaner performing the Pesade (2018). This sculpt is more to my taste, and an interesting idea to make a performing horse.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 8:11 pm

So many beautiful stablemates, and as usual I love their active poses! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 8:33 pm

That's a generous lot! It is natural that Andalusians have long and flowing manes. They're often represented in that way because Iberian horses are like that in real. I think the Morgan model is even more Breyerish in its style. Despite being quite different, the Andalusian seen from the left side looks like a kind of elegant Icelandic. Laughing
Arabians are also often represented with long tails and manes because again they are like that and the lifted tail is a particular feature of the breed.
Brabants are wonderful horses but I am happy that you do not look like them. Laughing

Taos

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:27 pm

Some new and very interesting additions!

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 12, 2021 8:44 am

Dynamic poses :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 12, 2021 9:59 pm

Thanks, everyone! I don't mind the long hair of the Iberian horses, it's more that they are modelled in such an exuberant way. Still, they are good models, but I prefer the more modest Breyers.

Roger wrote:
Brabants are wonderful horses but I am happy that you do not look like them. Laughing
Ah, you have never seen me Wink
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 09, 2021 9:58 pm

Lots of Breyers have come in this week. It will take me a while to show them all. First, two recent Breyer sculpts. I was particularly interested in the “Warmblood mare”, a sculpt from 2019. Except for this dun colour version (2020-2021), it has only been sold as a unicorn (with horn) or as a rare Breyerfest special. It is a wonderful model with a simple, traditional pose. I especially like the way the face and the mane are modelled. One of the best Stablemate models in my opinion.

The other sculpt is also recent (2018), but is much more flamboyant. It’s a model called “Magnolia”. As far as I know, Breyer didn’t specify the breed, but the shop I bought it from (Chestnut ridge) sold it as an Arabian Morab, which I suppose it might be. This palomino version is from 2019-2020. The mane and tail are rather wild, but it’s very dynamic and has a good-looking face.

Another one that has just come in is an oldie, a “G1”. It’s a “Saddlebred”, a model that was first released in 1975 and this particular colour version was produced between 1975 and 1988. It was therefore the first version of this mould (together with a dapple grey saddlebred), so it has some historical interest. It has a few small scuffs but nothing too bad for her age. It’s my oldest Breyer.

More to come …
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 1:51 pm

Congrats

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 2:27 pm

The warmblood mare is very nice, when it was first released I thought the hindquarters looked a bit small or set at an odd angle, but I never have been able to figure out what it is that's off, and she's grown on me so much I've stopped noticing her flaws, heh

Here's the info which came with the first Magnolia release : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It says 'half arabian' for her breed, without specifying the other side, so you have free rein for picking her non-arabian parent, as long as it's something which comes in palomino because pure arabians don't.
And really, it's quite a vague mould in the first place, too long and lean to have to be arabian, so you could easily nudge it into a purebred classification if you'd rather - I have two customised ones, one a straight repaint to dappled grey which I have as a Tersk, the other with minor resculpting as an Akhal-Teke.

Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 3:55 pm

Lovely additions! You've done a great job highlighting some new molds to me that now would like to add to the collection. That warmblood is one of them. To be fair, I believe I have one as a unicorn, but I can't remember because most of my stablemate unicorns are packed up with the Christmas decor. Laughing And of course the saddlebred/5-gaiter is such a classic!
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 5:26 pm

Some lovely new additions-like the dun colouring on the warm blood.I also have the Saddlebred but as a Pinto.

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 5:46 pm

Thank you everyone! Nice to see the certificate that came with the first Magnolias. Now some more ...

I recently bought a few figures from WhiteLightning Wolf (Fallon) and she was so kind to forward me several other figures that I bought in the US. Postage of individual figures from the US is expensive and some figures like the “G1” Breyers are hard to find outside the US, so this was an enormous help. Thank you Fallon!

The first Breyer from the US that I am going to show you isn’t a G1, but the Scratching Foal (2000, this bay version 2012-2014). It can be found in the UK too, but if you are looking for a particular colour, it is hard to find it. I immediately fell in love with it when I saw it on US Ebay, so I bought it.

I think it is one of American Pharoah’s many children. Perhaps Cafe Pharoah, another great racehorse: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The others I got via Fallon are all G1s, as they are quite hard to get in the UK. First, a lovely Morgan and lying foal:

They are from the “Morgan and foal” set from 1997-1999. Both are G1s and were first released (in different colours) in 1975. The foal is especially charming. Here with the scratching foal:

More G1s soon.
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 5:53 pm

The Morgans are absolutely gorgeous!

PostSubject: Re: My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa   My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

My Breyer Stablemates: G1 Drafter and another Appaloosa
Page 6 of 23Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14 ... 23  Next