Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)

Go down 
+14
Shanti
Megaptera
LukaLeon085
spacelab
Joliezac
pipsxlch
Kikimalou
donny ong
SUSANNE
Roger
Bonnie
widukind
Saarlooswolfhound
George
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
George

George

Country/State : England

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Empty
PostSubject: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptySat Apr 24, 2021 7:16 pm

Last week, looking up Quagga references for my upcoming painting project reminded me of a serious gap in my collection - I hadn't got a Grévy's zebra yet! So I decided it was about time I ordered the CollectA one Very Happy

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Un-Grevys-Zebra

Here he is! I love that they've made this less-appreciated species, almost all mainstream toys and models seem to be plains zebra subspecies, but Grévy's have secretly been my favourites since college, with their big saucer ears and long noses

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Grevyangled

They've done a pretty good job with his pattern, getting the great first impression of a lot more stripes crammed in, and no worry of getting a 'bad one' due to human error or a hurried paintjob, cos they're printed on so each CollectA Grévy is the same, even though each real one is a little different.
I've seen some disappointment that the stripes on the hindquarters are too vertical, but with the natural variation in real zebras, I don't think it's too bad - some will have a lower divide between the vertical stripes and the horizontal ones. Have a look at the rump of this one (my own pic), there's a good section of vertical lines before it forms a triangle and the stripes change angle.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Grevyfront
EARS! Laughing

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Realzebraears
You get a similar intensity of big giant ear when you make a kissing sound at a real gravy zeb (p.s yeah Grévy is pronounced 'gravy', not rhyming with 'heavy')

How do the CollectA zebra species look with each other?

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Collectazebras

Really good! I prefer the off-white plastic to the bright pure white of the Grévy's (that's how they're made, rather than yellowing cos one's new and one's not), but over all that doesn't matter, especially when photographed separately you wouldn't think 'Well, that's too white!' Laughing

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Zebraears
"My ears are bigger than yours!"
"Yeah, well, my stripes are bigger than yours!"

While I was putting in my order, I thought I really ought to catch up on a few more releases - 'to buy enough for free postage' was my excuse Laughing

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Un-Knab-Foal
First, the foal to go with my knabstrupper.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Knabs-Other
It's curious how sometimes CollectA release the adult and baby in the same year, but other times we have a single mare or stallion for a while before they make a matching foal of the same breed.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Knabstruppers
The wild, heavily-spotted leopard appaloosa pattern of the mare is rather nicer than the simpler spotting they've designed for the little one, but they make a good pair together

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Un-Russian-Don
Next, the Russian Don, who was held back to the latter part of the year when she was released, so I wasn't able to get hold of her when I ordered my batch that spring.
I'm really pleased to see this breed in model form, is she the only one from any mainstream brand? With most companies focusing on the best known breeds with an established fanbase, it's great to see CollectA going for the less common ones, and giving us chance to tick off breeds with a huge importance in their own country, and a lot of history. They deserve the attention!

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Russian-Don-Angle
The colour's really well done, with a metallic sheen in the paint - I generally hate the overdone pearly/shiny/metallic paint craze on all kinds of model horses which don't need it, but some breeds do have a coat with that sheen, and the Don is one of them. But my favourite thing about the mould is the cocked-back ear, a tiny design choice which gives her a touch of life and realism - with her ear turned round, she's suddenly a model of an actual horse, with reactions and thoughts, not just a posed example of a breed.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Sugarbush-Drafters
And rounding out the parcel nicely, the Sugarbush Draft mare and foal. Well, I couldn't buy one without the other! Laughing

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Un-Sugarbush-Mare
Another example of CollectA Chunky-leg Syndrome not being a bother on a draft breed, her legs don't look out of proportion like a light breed would.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Un-Sugarbush-Foal
The matching baby - I'm not sure if he's supposed to have so much grey shading on his head, or whether that's overspray from his muzzle gone way up his face! But his blanket spotted appaloosa pattern is neatly applied, and he has a very sweet and playful look to him :)

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Sugarbush-Drafts

Last edited by George on Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:03 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://harecrofthorses.blogspot.com/
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptySat Apr 24, 2021 7:31 pm

Great new models! I love the zebra and sugarbush horses a lot. Congratulations!

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptySat Apr 24, 2021 7:58 pm

I especially like the zebra

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptySat Apr 24, 2021 8:49 pm

This is a wonderful topic, so informative, with so many beautiful photos of stunning models! cheers sunny sunny Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptySat Apr 24, 2021 8:52 pm

I like all of them but especially your pictures! Very Happy
Grevy's zebras are defintely not as popular as plains zebras but what turns them rare as figures is their pattern, that striping with close lines is a nightmare for mass production. It was a
blessing that CollectA decided to release a grevy's, we really wanted it for a long time and the figure is very beautiful. I love the chating around the ears and what is biggest, humans are the same, no? Laughing
I love all these horses and I can't collect more horses, but those are so beautiful, I wonder how long I will resist to that Russian Don. It is the only representative among the major brands as well as the Mojö Fun Orlov is also the only of its breed. Funrise also made a Russian Don but that's another era. Laughing

George

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptySun Apr 25, 2021 7:41 pm

Thanks, everyone :) I guessed the zebra would be the most popular around here, with so many wildlife-appreciating folks around. On a model horse forum, he'd be the one most collectors skip past and don't comment on, so it's really nice to know there's people who enjoy zebs as much as I do :)

I find the photography is a big part of getting a new arrival, I always set up some scenery and do pictures which aim to make the models look more real. I'd love to do actual natural-outdoor-scenery photos, but haven't got anywhere that the real foliage and grass wouldn't be a ridiculously out of scale giant forest. So it's always fake grass, and a picture backdrop, but outside in the garden so at least the sunlight's real! Laughing

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptySun Apr 25, 2021 9:13 pm

That zebra is ever so wonderful drunken

And your horses are so great as only CollectA can make them cheers

donny ong

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptyMon Apr 26, 2021 7:17 am

Wonderful photos of wonderful models! Congrats for the new models.
The Russian Don is one of the best horse models by CollectA - if not the best. Well, maybe the best. My favorite horse model for sure.

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptyMon Apr 26, 2021 10:43 am

I like very much your pics, I'm not a horses collector but your background are really interresting. keep up the good work cheers
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 12:54 am

Gotta find the Russian Don mare sometime. She looks like a Polish or Russian bred Arab. Laughing
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptyMon Oct 04, 2021 5:28 pm

I though I'd add these here, as the topic title is still perfectly relevant - today I got some more new CollectAs

The place I usually order my CollectA models from does free postage when you spend over £40, so it's always best value to make sure I choose enough to reach that total (I tend to tell myself the saved postage fee almost pays for a whole extra foal model, so really I'm saving money by spending a bit more Laughing )
But there's a couple I'm not posting here yet : the Konik foal I'm hanging on to til CollectA release his matching mum and I can photograph them together, plus a figure for a little non-equine repaint project I have in mind Wink

So who's in the box?

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Angelo

The Camarillo White Horse, the last of the 2020 releases I still needed to tick off the to-buy list.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Angelo-Angle

He's now named Harecroft Angelo, because I made a typo when saving this photograph, accidentally titled it 'CamarilloAngel' instead of 'CamarilloAngle', and this mistake seemed perfect to adapt into the Spanish-origin male name for him!

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Angelo-Angle2

It's a nice sculpt, quite different to any of their other horses so far. I'd have liked to see a bit of the blond-ish shading on the tail as well as the mane; I'm really not quite sure why they'd have decided that a tail's any more likely to stay spotlessly clean when in real life it's quite the opposite and a shampooed horse's mane will usually stay far cleaner for longer than the tail does Laughing

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Angelo-Left

It's quite curious thinking that there's more CollectA Camarillo White Horses in the world than real-life individuals of this breed, they've always been a small population (a single herd, founded by one man and his stallion - read the history here) and even with efforts to keep them going, numbers rise very slowly. There must be a lot of endangered species where there's more figures with collectors and children, than living animals left in the world, but it must happen a lot less with domestic species.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) High-Society

Next up, the 2021 Hackney. He's a gorgeous colour - CollectA chestnuts in the past have tended to be rather flat and plain, but they've really given this one a vibrant deep colour, and I love that he's got sharp painted socks with defined edges, not faded-out airbrushing. His paintjob has to be one of their best chestnuts yet.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) High-Society-Angle

He's also got a great expression, pricked up ears and a general look of enthusiasm without being too wild and unbiddable!

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) High-Society-Front

I've named him Harecroft High Society, as my only other Hackney model is called Harecroft High and Mighty, and I like to do family naming themes when I can! Laughing

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) High-Society-Other

But the big down side to this model is the huge chunky legs. On most of their other recent breeds, the thick legs don't bother me - when they're drafters or cobby horses, they're meant to have that much bone, when they're ponies, being short and chunky kind of fits with their proprtions without standing out too badly. But on the breeds which are very fine with neat long wiry limbs and sharply defined joints, thick legs just look so out of place they don't even resemble the breed they're meant to be. I'll still file this model as a Hackney on my website, but I don't think he looks much like one.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Tsaivar-khuren1

The only other adult horse release for CollectA's first half of the year is also my favourite - the Mongolian Horse. I've had an interest in this breed for many years, and although I've got a few roughly-the-right-build ponies which I've dressed in Mongolian-style halters for my collection already, it's brilliant to finally have a specially sculpted model on the market!

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Tsaivarkhuren

They've really captured the distinctive proportions of these horses, with large heads, thick necks, flat backs, and a certain narrow/shallowness to the shoulders and chest which it's hard to pinpoint or put into words, but easy to see when it looks 'right'.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Tsaivar-Angle

His colour's nicely done too, with just a bit of shading and a very very fine airbrush speckling which doesn't really show up in the photos but in-hand makes it very clear he's sprayed all over rather than making use of bare coloured plastic with just the legs and mane'n'tail painted, like they've relied on for older bays. I'd have liked a little bit more muzzle shading, to include more of his nostrils, but it's not too disappointing that I don't enjoy him as he is.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Tsaivar-Other

The other side, I like the little tuft of mane left at the shoulders. These domestic Mongolian horses have a longer 'falling' mane like any other horse or pony if it's left to grow, rather than the stiff 'standing' mane of the Przewalski. A lot of people assume the upright manes are a natural feature based on common ancestry or primitive genes, but it's just a tradition to cut or trim them in certain ways. Some you'll see with manes left long and tied in bunches for racing to keep out of the horses' faces, some are cut straight across the bottom to make a thick choppy edge, the most common cut is short with a few inches of bristle so they stand upright, like this model.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Tsaivar-Otherangle

Mongolian horses aren't given names in the way other cultures do, with the same sort of distinctname words we'd expect people or pets to have - their horse-naming words are descriptive terms, instead. So the name a horse is called or referred to by might translate as 'small dark brown', 'dun with short tail' or 'chestnut pinto who belongs to [person's name]'. With this in mind, I've called my model Tsaivar Khüren, which simply means 'light brown'

My final buy, to push the order over £40, was a second attempt at getting the same pony!
When I first bought the bay Dartmoor stallion, he arrived and I was deeply disappointed with the paintjob - it was so bad, I couldn't stand keeping him as he was, so I repainted him. You can see the colour I got in this photo, but if anything mine was even worse, with the paint on the head, neck and mane (which was black in the promo pics) looking a sickly faded greyish purple, and the dapples being spots of greyish pink.
As time passed and I kept on buying CollectAs, this left my original finish line-up in the weird state of 'every release except the dartmoor', which felt increasingly awkward the longer it went on Laughing

I know models often change a little bit throughout the run, as paintwork's adjusted on purpose, or just evolves as the factory workers find little shortcuts and easier/better ways of doing things on the production line. My old dartmoor dated to around 2013, so perhaps enough time had passed that the paintwork was better now, and I'd get one good enough to keep? If not, I could always repaint it again, so it was worth the risk...

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Ragged-Robin

And look, he's fine! Ok, so there's still the spot dapples, which he'd be even better without, but they're much closer to his coat colour now, so they don't stand out as stupid-looking pink dots, and best of all, the paint on the head and neck is black, not washed-out lilac Laughing

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Ragged-Robin1

He's really a pretty little thing, this improved paintwork does justice to the quality sculpt underneath (and look, fine detailed limbs, cos this is an older model), and I'll be more than happy to have him on my shelves, finally rounding out my complete CollectA collection up to this point :)

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Ragged-Robin-Other

I've named him Harecroft Ragged Robin, after a native wild flower which can be found in the national park this breed calls home. I think nature-based names work so well for native and feral ponies, and this one's perfect for a stallion cos if he was real he could be known as Robin for short, a typically male name instead of something which sounds too flowery and mare-like!

Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptyMon Oct 04, 2021 6:10 pm

I don't collect horses but these are really beautiful models! Especially the Mongolian horse. Congrats! I also spend a certain amount to get free shipping because sometimes the shipping could cost as much as 3-4 figures, so definitely saves you some money if you were going to get them anyways in the long run Laughing Laughing

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptyMon Oct 04, 2021 6:21 pm

Beautiful additions, the mongolian is my favorite also.

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptyMon Oct 04, 2021 6:27 pm

I sometimes enjoy to add a horse figure to my wildlife collection. Laughing Posts like these help me a lot to decide which ones to get. A Mongolian is surely not as beautiful as a Lusitano but for any reason it is a very interesting horse to me and I like the CollectA model. I think they made it quite recognizable. All your other horses are beautiful too. I don't know how much the plastic color influences the painting but CollectA used some bright colored plastic with their first Deborah's horses. I remember reading here about purple and colors of that kind. However, it is known that sometimes painting get different hues after a certain time or through light exposure, it is complex but fortunately not that common.

George

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptyMon Oct 04, 2021 6:40 pm

Lots of love for the Mongolian chap! I'd love to get some extras to repaint at some point, too, they're a very varied breed and I could have fun with some fancy duns and roans and pintos Very Happy

I did wonder about light exposure fading him out, but mine was bought fairly swiftly after release date, so it hadn't been sitting around for years before I got it, and I assume the one in that linked photo was brand new stock just arrived in hand, too, so I don't think they'd had chance to get faded by sunlight?
Mine will be living in my bedroom from now on, though, so he won't have any sunlight exposure cos I've got three bookcases in front of the window with the curtains and blinds closed behind those - I may as well be a vampire, there's no light in there at whatsoever Laughing

spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptyMon Oct 04, 2021 6:57 pm

I confirm that the first batch of the Dartmoor Pony was like the linked photo and has been improved. I preferred mine in black though.
Hackney's colour looks really fantastic, but overall I think I like much better the previous generation of CollectA's horses.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptyMon Oct 04, 2021 7:50 pm

It sounds as though you order from Big Jigs- I love this shop for CollectA too! Very Happy
Wonderful new additions, the Mongolian is a very sweet boy, I love his face! sunny The chestnut's really pretty too, I love that colour, it's so rich! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptyMon Oct 04, 2021 9:52 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
LukaLeon085

LukaLeon085

Country/State : ITALY

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptyMon Oct 04, 2021 10:40 pm

Applause wonderful models cyclops

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptyTue Oct 05, 2021 4:05 am

Applause Applause Applause

Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptyTue Oct 05, 2021 7:52 pm

Wonderful models Applause
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2021 5:39 pm

Wonderful photos and description of your new collecta additions!!
Love the Hackney although not appropriate conformation for this breed. He looks like a sweet character! The Mongolian horse looks very nice too. Both horses joined my collection too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2021 10:02 pm

Wonderful additions. Applause Applause Applause

George

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptySat Oct 30, 2021 6:20 pm

This week I had a parcel of brand new CollectA 2021 models Very Happy

I wouldn't normally have another order so soon on the heels of the previous one, but with supply issues the way they are this year, I thought I might not get another chance at these releases til next year if I left it too long, and grabbed some of the very first batch to reach this country - by the time I did my daily check to see if they were in stock yet, there was already only three of each left!

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) UnChinco

First, one of my favourites from the 2021s, the Chincoteague pony. A great little pose with spirit and attitude, and a well done colour with shading and crisp edges.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Un-Chincot

As with all CollectA horses these days, there's the inevitable chunky legs, but on these small tough pony breeds it doesn't matter too much, as they still feel in proportion and not TOO thick.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Un-Chincote

I love the look on her face, big eyes full of expression despite being painted plain gloss black, they catch a shiny sparkle from the natural light.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Un-Chincotea

For a pony breed, it is quite a large model, and probably wouldn't work strictly to scale if you needed the Chincoteague and some other breed in your collection to have the right height difference. She stands well above the older CollectA sculpts of pony breeds - I held her beside a Dartmoor and a Morgan from the same brand, cos I happened to have those to hand, and she was only millimetres off matching the Morgan in height, but utterly dwarfing the Dartmoor pony which in real life would only be a matter of an inch or two smaller!

Next up, a figure you might be more interested in if your collection tends toward farm, the new Donkey

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Un-Donkey-L

This is their second adult domestic donkey, the older one was a very sullen-looking heavy creature which went out of production (or at least out of stock on model horsey websites) a while before I got into CollectA, so it's about time they brought out a replacement.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Un-Donkey-R

To be honest, I'm not entirely a fan of this sculpt; I've said on here before but I think it's a missed opportunity for a really great donkey model, when instead we've just got an ok one.
I mean, it's not bad. If it was terrible, I just wouldn't have bought it, I'm not a completist collector who finds huge satisfaction in getting everything whether they like it or not, so the fact I even have one proves that I thought it was still worth the money, and that it's good enough for me to happily have it for my shelf, and to give my donkey foal a mum to stand next to.
But the sculpt just doesn't feel perfect to me : the anatomy of the head shape is off, and the feet are too big. And it wouldn't be fair to just pretend I love it and not point out the flaws, that's not what reviewing's about and I'm here to share my honest opinion.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) UnPaso

Here is the Paso Fino mare, a slightly odd choice to go for dark palomino when the Peruvian Paso was done in a very pale chestnut, and as two breeds which people very often get mixed up or confused in their minds anyway, I'd have made an effort to make them look as different as possible!

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Un-Paso-Fino

Again, and perhaps most noticeable here out of all the figures I'm sharing today, the legs are huge and thick, which really does detract from the overall look of the horse. If you take a look at a real example of the breed, you can see the impression is of a chunky horse on very fine legs.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Un-Paso-Fin

If you ignore the thickness of the legs, their pose is actually nicely done, capturing one of the distinctive gaits of the breed, which can best be described as a sort of running walk on fast forward, they move very quickly with tiny short steps.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) UnPasoF

The tail is also a distinctive trait of the breed, curling into a J shape naturally in many horses. Sadly some have it emphasised or created artificially with surgery by people value the look, and the prizes, over the welfare of the horse (you get a small percentage of awful people involved with most showring breeds), but that's a minority and in general if you see a paso horse gaiting with a kinked out tail, it's because he holds it that way himself.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) UnPasoFi

The other side, with the nice flowing mane on display. CollectA don't have quite the action and airy volume in the sculpting of the manes and tails these days, but they're still very smooth, elegant, and realistically done.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) UnKonik1

Finally, Konik ponies! I've been looking forward to this one since they were first announced, as a herd of semi-feral Konik ponies live on a conservation project near me, and I've been lucky enough to visit and photograph them a few times.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) UnKonik

This brighter light shows the sculpt better, but washes her colour out a bit - the first shot is the better match for the paintwork. She reminds me a lot of CollectA's earlier Camargue pony sculpt, which makes sense as they're a similar type with a similar outdoors natural lifestyle, though the more primitive Konik is much heavier in the head and less well-built in the shoulder - which is correct conformation for their breeds, rather than an insult!

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Un-Konik-Angle

I love the way they've done her mane, instead of plain black there's streaks of brown in there too, and the windswept look suits her very much. And look at the fluff inside those ears!

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Un-Konik-Foal

I bought the Konik foal in my previous CollectA order, but saved him up til I'd got the mare as well, so now he gets to join the photoshoot.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Un-Konik-Foal-Angle

His colour looks very watered down at first glance, but the real Konik babies are born very pale, and gradually come into their dark points as they shed their baby fur at the end of their first summer, so it's perfectly accurate that they gave the foal a much lighter colouration than his matching mum.

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Un-Konik-Pair

They make a really nice pair together, I'm not sure how they decide which models get a foal and which don't, but I'm glad they decided to go for it this time. It isn't as simple as releasing babies if their adult example of the breed is a mare, because we have single stallions (Friesian, Fjord, Tennessee Walking Horse, and Quarter Horse) who've had matching foals made, and plenty of mares (Akhal-Teke, Arabian, Missouri Fox Trotter, Russian Don, Belgian and Dutch drafters, British Spotted Pony, and Percheron) who haven't. Who knows! scratch

Here's a couple more shots of them together to end with...

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) UnKoniks

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Un-Koniks2

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) EmptySat Oct 30, 2021 6:27 pm

Nice additions George and wonderful pics Applause
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)   A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December) Empty

Back to top Go down

A few new CollectAs for my collection - filling gaps (18th December)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next