Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]

Go down 
+23
Kikimalou
Bonnie
Roger
Saarlooswolfhound
lucky luke
bmathison1972
75senta75
CodyK2004
thebritfarmer
SUSANNE
Joliezac
sunny
Ana
Mitsukuni
Burgerenby
Seeway
RtasVadumee
pipsxlch
Caracal
landrover
Taos
spacelab
George
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 7:09 pm

Very very clever! cheers It works like transparent balconies without distracting and they surely do not fall from them. The aestetic effect is also perfect. I think I will start using polish nail or whatever it is called. Laughing

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 7:50 pm

Those are really great displays and I love that you found a solution! Hurray! Your collection looks great. :)

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 8:41 pm

What a beautiful way to display your collection, I love how because the shelves are transparent it makes the figures stand out more! cheers
All those shelves of dogs! drunken
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 9:06 pm

Great displays!! Applause Applause Applause

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2021 3:54 am

That really works awesome. They look great up there!
Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2021 5:25 am

That is such a neat way to store and display.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 7:00 pm

Thanks, I'm quite pleased with it! I plan to get more, since there's always more minis to display, but . . . just gotta make more wall space . . . .

The last batch of newcomers has been All Dog All the Time . . . Except Those Two Horses. Toy Major, Funrise, AAA, and some little Japanese figures. I was channeling [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for a while there, I think. Laughing
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 7:44 pm

Nice dogs and horses

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 10:08 pm

So jealous of some of these! That cocker spaniel is darling... I never would have considered a spaniel as a dog for me years ago, but since I got my rescue Flynn I am a little besotted with them. drunken You have many really great new additions, big congrats on them all!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 10:44 am

Laughing It has been a joy to see all your varied and interesting dogs! cheers I have made a mental note of some of them that were new to me so that if I ever see them in the future I'll be able to recognise them! Very Happy
Photos like this with all the dogs together are definitely among my favourites- I could spend ages looking at each one! The first thing I noticed was how tiny those Japanese dogs were though- wow! Shocked So so sweet, next to the Toy Majors they look absolutely minuscule! Shocked There is something so beautiful about them altogether as a group, I think it's the shiny texture and that bright red some of them have! Very Happy And to complete it all a wonderful row of Funrise dogs, those beautifully sculpted TM pups and the three charming AAA models! cheers
And not to forget the two lovely horses too! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 9:50 pm

Thanks so much everyone! The spaniel really is a very nice model, and has such a good face. (And I also can't get over how tiny the Japanese ones are, still.)

In my continued hunt to display things attractively and without creating too much clutter, I found a place for my bakelite(?) dogs, because they are so fragile seeming and also so tiny and easy to lose. They now live in front of my dog novels! Or well, the dog novels that are out on the shelf . . . like everything, a lot of them are still in storage.  

(Featured novels, as their own small collection, include: The Dog Who Wouldn't Be, Algonquin: The Story of a Great Dog, Along Came a Dog, Kazan the Wolf Dog, Call of the Wild, White Fang, The Hundred and One Dalmatians, and even though they are technically wolf books, The Jungle Books and Julie of the Wolves)

Last edited by Jill on Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 10:58 pm

Along with dog models dog books are another big favourite of mine! cheers
You have so many of my favourite dog books, like the Call of the Wild and One Hundred and One Dalmatians- what a fantastic collection! Very Happy I'd love to know what your favourite dog book of all time is? sunny
A perfect place to display the models too! cheers
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 11:08 pm

A great question, you've already mentioned two of them! I can't pick a single favorite, so I would say Call of the Wild for classic literature, Hundred and One Dalmatians for "children's" or YA literature, and Algonquin for extremely obscure I am not even sure what it's classified as literature. Wink

Have you read Albert Payson Terhune's collie books? I feel likely surely you would have, since all the heroes are rough collies. I grew up reading those! I also had Champion Dog Prince Tom, though I think all of those I gifted to my dog-loving nephew many years ago.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 11:22 pm

I would definitely agree with those two, both wonderful dog books I have read many many times! cheers
I have never heard of Algonquin, it sounds really interesting and I'll definitely see if I can buy a copy at some point- I'm always searching for new dog books that I haven't yet read! cheers
Funny that you should mention Albert Payson Terhune's books, as I was reading about them today and was amazed that I had missed a collection of collie books that looked so wonderful! I definitely must read them, I thought that Lassie Come Home by Eric Knight (Another big favourite of mine Very Happy) was the only Rough Collie book out there, but I must definitely look into these too, thank you! sunny I must have a look at Champion Dog Prince Tom too! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 11:30 pm

The Terhune books are Lassie-esque in their feel. In fact, Lad a Dog is the first one - only fitting to have Lad and Lassie. Wink

Algonquin is a very unique tone. It's not a . . . very cheerful story, but then, if you love Call of the Wild or anything else by London, I shouldn't worry about a dark tone being to your taste. Here's one review that I largely agree with: "Do not be fooled by the amateurish bookcover; this is a sophisticated and deep novel written for adults. Algonquin is the most powerful and soul-rocking story I have ever seen in print or in movies. In a lifetime of avid reading, which includes works by some of the world's finest authors, I have encountered only a few who could capture this tone of melancholy understatement of life's mighty truths."

Prince Tom is about a Cocker Spaniel if I remember correctly. That one falls much more squarely into the Children's Literature section, but still a charming story. Really, I'd recommend any on my shelf, since that's why I have them there! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 12:32 am

A perfect display! And I am now educated on some new dog books to go find and read. study

Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 1:05 am

I see some of my old favorites there, and a few I haven't seen before- like Bonnie, I shall have to find Algonquin. Two of my preferred childhood authors were Margeurite Henry and Jim Kjelgaard, along with Jack London and Walter Farley.

Lilias, you should definitely enjoy the Terhune books- I did.

Last edited by pipsxlch on Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 1:13 am

Good old Margeurite Henry! And Walter Farley! As a certified Horse Girl, I had all of 'em. A very select few of the classic horse stories of yore are up on my shelf now.

Somehow, I never read the Kjelgaard books. I SAW them . . . I may have even read a few from the library perhaps? But I can't remember them. I probably need to take another look!

I love Jack London is someone so many of us read as kids. Very dark!! Very excellent! Laughing
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 1:17 am

Aah, I had the Flicka trilogy also! I recently found the first at a thrift shop, it was wonderful coming back. Hope to find the others.

Don't recognize the first 2 books, something to look for!
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 1:26 am

Oh gosh, they're so good. Okay, I know this is very off topic, but it's my collection thread, so I feel like that's fine. Laughing But the Fire Pony is certainly a middle school reading level, but with some mature themes and concepts worked in really well, I think. I got it at a Scholastic fair one year because I liked the cover, and it became one of those books that you remember in detail forever for me. A simply "coming of age" story with horses, but with like . . . this other layer of grief and . . . anyway, here's a good review that explains it well: "Philbrick's novel The Fire Pony is perfectly accessible and comprehensible to little kids and so is just the right book to introduce them to tragedy."  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Smoky is basically Black Beauty in the American west, and it does it very soundly. There's even a Breyer of Smoky modeled after one of the illustrations in the book.

(I honestly didn't know there were two more Flicka books! Guess I'll look for those also!)
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 1:40 am

The sequels were Thunderhead and Green Grass of Wyoming. I enjoyed all of them.

Best way I can describe the Kjelgaards, looking back 30 years, is Walter Farley with dogs. Hunting dogs, I think the most famous was Big Red about an Irish setter.

Edit for autocorrect, why does it think things like celluloid are cellulite... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 3:04 am

Thunderhead does sound familiar. Like maybe there was a movie. (And Big Red sounds SO familiar, I must have read at least one at some point . . .)
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 3:26 am

Big Red, Irish Red, and Outlaw Red are all good books. My dad loved them as a kid and I do now. They are about a hunting Irish setter and two of his sons, and (its been a long time I may not quite remember right) a hunting trial competition. If you aren't sensitive to the concept of bird hunting, I reccomend them.

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 3:29 am

Those titles brought up some very deep but utterly vague memories, ha! Especially Outlaw Red.
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 3:41 am

My Jack London was an omnibus. I especially remember a short story where the protagonist froze to death. 80°below zero seemed very exotic to a South Florida kid.

I think I still have a book named Something in the Wind, herding Aussie type dog.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24] - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Jill's (growing) Collection [update 4.30.24]
Page 4 of 21Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next