Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??

Go down 
+8
rogerpgvg
Bonnie
Chris Sweetman
Roger
widukind
pipsxlch
Saarlooswolfhound
Jill
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  Empty
PostSubject: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2021 1:01 am

I had been watching an ebay auction for a long time because I was curious about it and really liked the models, but I can't of course always buy everything at once that I like. Things tend to all show up at once and I have to pick! So it had to be shuffled to the "next time" list several times. I hoped it would get relisted enough to let me buy them eventually. At last, they came up to the top of things I could buy, and I am so glad they didn't sell before I got to them!! I gave them their own thread, since they are a little set and, I think, pretty interesting.

I knew they were small, but I was amazed when I opened the box. They are TINY. They are all stamped only with Japan, and they are, obviously, quite pink. They remind me of the Marx dogs as far as being a brittle feeling hard plastic, and they have a lot of detail for being so dad gum little. I don't know much about Japan-made models in general. I know the ubiquitous "Chinamals" are often copies. Is there a usual story for models just marked "Japan" like that?

Rough Collie
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

English Bulldog

Terrier? Schnauzer?

German Longhair Pointer?

Dalmatian

Pomeranian? Akita? Spitz?

Anyway, if anyone knows what they are or has seen them before, I'd love to find out! I got them mainly because they were sort of goofy looking, but they turned out to actually be quite elegant little guys - even the bulldog, ha!

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2021 1:39 am

I have zero information besides that they make me smile. :) They are too cool!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2021 2:43 am

This is complete conjecture on my part- I'd wonder if they aren't cellulite or Bakelite, and date to the 50s or 60s, with a potential range from late 40s to mid 70s. I think postwar Japan made things for the world like China does now (albeit on a smaller scale), and cellulite looks/feels like a hard brittle plastic to me, and was commonly used in Japanese manufactured toys of the time.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2021 3:28 am

You might be right! I hadn't realized that's what cellulite (celluloid?) was, that it could be hard like that. That might explain why my set of dogs that look like the Marx dogs were listed as "made in Japan" even though they don't have any markings saying so.

Also, this has started me down a veeeerry dangerous eBay search, oh no, I have spent enough this month already. lol!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2021 5:37 am

Soo cool

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2021 12:52 pm

I think they remain a mistery to all of us. Jullie tried to find something about a few horses as we can see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
They're lovely!

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2021 1:43 pm

Oh, very cool, I like those little wildlife figures, they look a lot like my large celluloid animals. Is there a way to have these really neat vintage models on TAW even without a brand name? I see there is an Unknown Makers Japan page, but it only has a few lead animals on it. Personally, I'd love to be able to see the variations of these kinds of models (and their stamps - those tiny one are different than mine), because you can't find much on Google. Or is there not enough information to include them in a meaningful way?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2021 2:49 pm

Jill wrote:
Oh, very cool, I like those little wildlife figures, they look a lot like my large celluloid animals. Is there a way to have these really neat vintage models on TAW even without a brand name? I see there is an Unknown Makers Japan page, but it only has a few lead animals on it. Personally, I'd love to be able to see the variations of these kinds of models (and their stamps - those tiny one are different than mine), because you can't find much on Google. Or is there not enough information to include them in a meaningful way?

I can add them for sure in that Uknown Maker Japan page. I only need to know which breeds to use. It can be modified later.
Since a Schnauzer is a Terrier type dog, I can call that figure just Terrier and link it to the appropriated breed page. The same for the Spitz and longhaired pointer. Which breeds to use then? Schnauzer, German longhaired pointer and Pomeranian? Those are 3 German breeds and it is funny for a Japanese series. Laughing

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2021 6:28 pm

Thank you! I'll see if any other dog breed enthusiasts want to chime in, but I might go vague on these: Collie, Bulldog, Terrier, Pointer, Dalmatian, Spitz.

I also have individual pictures of the celluloid Japan models I found, if that would be good for the page. As if you needed more work.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2021 7:34 pm

Jill wrote:
Thank you! I'll see if any other dog breed enthusiasts want to chime in, but I might go vague on these: Collie, Bulldog, Terrier, Pointer, Dalmatian, Spitz.

I also have individual pictures of the celluloid Japan models I found, if that would be good for the page. As if you needed more work.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I added your tiny dogs on TAW. For now as Unknown Japan Maker until someone find out what they are. I gave them generic names but I added each of them to a specific breed.
You can always open topics about certain group of figures, as long as they are on forum, we will upload them on TAW as soon as possible.

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2021 9:13 pm

Very nice, thank you! I will add photo in the other thread to be addressed by whoever, whenever.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2021 9:51 pm

Came back to admire these guys... here are my two cents on the ambiguous ones.

The terrier could be a sottish terrier with a haircut. But the markings make it look like a short legged airedale/irish/welsh terrier. Maaaaaybeeee an australian terrier...? Up to you.

The pointer...german longhaired pointer. Kooikerhondje? Welsh springer spaniel? Brittany? Irish red and white spaniel? The nose is very pointed for most of these to fit but I can't quite tell if its from damage or intended to be that way... again, up to you.

And the spitz could easily pass as many breeds but I would bet pomeranian was the intention. The extra floofy mane is pretty indicative of the Northern European breeds.

Any how take what you will from my suggestions. I still love that color! Laughing

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptyThu Jul 01, 2021 1:51 am

Thanks for the feedback! I agree that the terrier could be a Welsh terrier for sure, with the markings. And pointer, with the long ears and the straight tail, I'd lean toward the Irish Red and White Setter or the German Pointer, good suggestions (I've never even heard of the Kooikerhondje). The muzzle doesn't seem broken, probably just inaccurately shaped. And no doubt you're right about the Pom, they seem to be a popular choice.

it's a great color. Razz The Highlighter Collection.
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptyThu Jul 01, 2021 2:17 am

I remember seeing stuff like this in gift shops during the 1960's in England. They were popular at the time to give as presents to adults. Due the delicacy of the material used these were not play things for kids.

Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptyThu Jul 01, 2021 2:28 am

Very cool! That's great information to have, it puts a likely date on them as well as some neat context. They are quite smashable and delicate. affraid I'm so glad they arrived whole.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptyThu Jul 01, 2021 1:38 pm

I moved the Terrier to Welsh Terrier breed page. Actually I needed to create that breed page but it was needed because there are a few known models of this breed, they're just not on TAW yet. It is almost impossible to guess these exact Terrier breeds considering their similarities and also the way these figures are designed. Could we identify the Dalmatian if it was not the spots? However, it is always better to put them in a specific breed page instead of letting them as generic. I have the impression that some vintage dog models were not always breed specified by the brands and some are described in collecting books according with the way they were known among collectors. It is also part of this hobby and these identifications are assumed as they were official.
Oh, if these Japanese dogs are from 1960's or earlier as Chris suggests, I think you have a very special series or part of it, they are a kind of precursor of all these modern minis you love so much.

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptyThu Jul 01, 2021 8:59 pm

Oh wow, what beautiful, detailed exquisite little dogs! cheers cheers I'd never seen these little pups before, thank you so much for introducing me to them! Very Happy
I completely agree with what Paige has said regarding breeds, definitely good choices! cheers
I love how they are so tiny and yet still have lots of detail- Japanese brands are amazing at this! I have to mention that Rough Collie, so nice to see such a delicate model of this breed I love so much! I love all the shades in the coat, it has a lovely glossy texture! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptyThu Jul 01, 2021 9:24 pm

Jill wrote:

Funny you should say that... the dog I grew up with was a small white maltipoo named Pippen. He was so much fun and was like a little brother to all of us kids. On a few occassions us girls might have... uh... used highlighters to color his hair and give him mohawks... all in good fun and he did look fabulous for a little while before it got washed out. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptySat Jul 03, 2021 12:32 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Jill wrote:

Funny you should say that... the dog I grew up with was a small white maltipoo named Pippen. He was so much fun and was like a little brother to all of us kids. On a few occassions us girls might have... uh... used highlighters to color his hair and give him mohawks... all in good fun and he did look fabulous for a little while before it got washed out. Laughing
Shocked Laughing Rockin' that punk look. Cool
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 6:42 pm

I found three more! Definitely not the same set, but still - tiny little plastic dogs from Japan. They are just a little bit bigger than the last ones, but smaller than the Marx dogs.

Japanese Chin

German Shepherd

What I'm most curious about is how you all would define the breed of this one! It was on ebay as a Collie, but I'm not convinced . . .

Here's a comparison of sizes:

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 8:42 pm

No idea what they are, but I like these small figures that you are discovering all the time.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 9:00 pm

I also enjoy these anonymous figures. They're a new world even to us.
It is also the first time I see a figure of a Japanese Spaniel. In this trio you have the most common breed and a new one to this hobby.
If I was listing them on TAW, I would list the last one as a Rough Collie but my dog knowledge is very limited. I understand, it has weird proportions for a Collie but it may be because it is a miniature.

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 9:33 pm

Thank you both! It's the ears that discourage me from thinking collie, but maybe that's just artistic interpretation. Makes it look almost more like a Retriever, like a Duck Toller, but I can't imagine that's what it's meant to be.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 10:15 pm

Lovely new doggos again! The mystery dog... perhaps a long haired dachshund? The head especially.... honestly it looks like a tiny collie body with a giant doxie head. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 1:02 am

Jill wrote:
Thank you both! It's the ears that discourage me from thinking collie, but maybe that's just artistic interpretation. Makes it look almost more like a Retriever, like a Duck Toller, but I can't imagine that's what it's meant to be.  

You're right. The body is for a Rough Collie but the head and ears makes it hard to believe that was the original intention. Can you show an extra picture of the Collie facing the camera or in an angle similar to the small dog of the comparison picture?

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  Empty

Back to top Go down

Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next