Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...

Go down 
+10
SUSANNE
Caracal
spacelab
Roger
Taos
Bonnie
Burgerenby
pipsxlch
Jill
Saarlooswolfhound
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... Empty
PostSubject: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptyFri Jul 02, 2021 10:46 pm

Was not sure where to put this but this seemed the most appropriate category.

I got the Schleich nativity set for Christmas 2 years ago and I love it! But it doesn't have a "creche" with it. I made do with a repainted toy one last year but wanted something a little more creative and decided to try my hand at handcrafting one. I have never been artistic in the sense of crafting things etc., so I learned a lot about this and will not call myself a woodworker nor a skilled craftswoman. But I like the result and will probably add things over time.
Here is my display from this past Christmas.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here I replaced the backing and added a loft (the pig snuck up there in place of the chickens I forgot to grab for my photoshoot), and then placed a thatched type roof and some lichen for color. Not terribly realistic but I think it is a classic style chreche.
Before:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

After

And with some models.

Best part is the original building was 1.50$ at a thrift store and falling apart, the straw, lichen, and spray mod podge were all a 1$ each, and then the added additions in the loft are dogwood shrub branches trimmed from my backyard this spring.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous

Last edited by Saarlooswolfhound on Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:51 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptySat Jul 03, 2021 12:31 am

So cool! It came out great, definitely a better display. Love the pig in the loft. Razz
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptySat Jul 03, 2021 3:42 am

Wow, I think that's a great job! The 'stone' wall in the back really works for me.
Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptySat Jul 03, 2021 5:55 am

That is such a nice little diorama, and best to make something six months in advance, it's ready for next December either way.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptySat Jul 03, 2021 5:58 pm

Thank you Jill, Kelly, and Burger!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptySat Jul 03, 2021 10:13 pm

That's beautiful, you have made such a wonderful nativity and it will be perfect for the coming Christmas! sunny
I loved spotting your four-legged helper in the third photo too, such a sweet boy! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 7:42 am

Thank you on both counts Bonnie. Wink Buck says hello. Flynn was present too but much happier minding his own business unlike the other. Rolling Eyes Razz

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 11:07 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Thank you on both counts Bonnie. Wink Buck says hello. Flynn was present too but much happier minding his own business unlike the other. Rolling Eyes Razz
cheers Laughing cheers
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 9:23 pm

Applause Applause Applause Applause

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptySun Sep 12, 2021 7:25 pm

Addendum photos. Very Happy I shaped some green floral foam and spray painted it with a sand texture paint. Bought and glued some diorama palms to them to add a little bit of scenery and allow some of the figures to spread out a little and not look so odd being crowded together.

I am debating adding a proper texture base for the whole thing to sit on... besides that I have one other detail I am going to try to create before the holiday comes, but my crafting skills may not be up to it so we will see if it works out. Wink

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptySun Sep 12, 2021 10:00 pm

Beautifully, beautifully done, you have made such a wonderful scenery! flower
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptySun Sep 12, 2021 11:07 pm

It all looks so beautiful! I admire all your dedication to this kind of projects, it certainly requires a lot of patience but the result surely worth.

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptyTue Nov 30, 2021 6:38 am

Gosh SUPER late reply here, but thank you both!!!

Last update (for a while at least). [And sorry for the poor lighting, this room gets little light anyway but its late here... I will try to get sharper photos in the daytime] This project began in my head 2 or 3 years ago when I got the Schleich nativity as a Christmas gift from my parents. But it didn't really "break ground" until earlier this year when I finally found a stable (creche) to work with. Got that completed with my mediocre wood working skills and got the detailing completed. I decided to add a diorama style sand dune with palm trees... a little engineering- and huzzah! A false desert now sits upon my piano. Then my big ol' silly brain just had to be temped by an idea.... a superbly idiotic idea.... ONE last detail...

I had to make saddles for my naked camels. 

I am NOT  a "crafty" person. Whatsoever. I never got the hang of sewing, crochet, quilting, embroidery, knitting, etc. Any needlework or any craft project involving items like fabric, needles or pins, tacks, yarn, etc. I had very little adherence to. I can draw or paint, sure. I have basic wood working and applicable house/yard maintenance skills and know how. But my silly brain wouldn't let it go...

These are by no means magnificent or skillfully done. But they are MINE 100% done with my own fingers until they were bruised and in one case bled.  silent My saddles are 99% complete, the wild fabric just needs tacking down with fine sewing sutures that my sore fingers cannot complete currently. But it is displayable just in time for the month to celebrate, and I am proud of my collective work, so I wanted to share tonight after I completed it. I hope you can enjoy it half as much as I do. Wink

Overall view

And then, my camels. Pins hold the fabric down partly where I need to sew it in the future... they do look a little silly at the moment but workable!

I hand carved the wooden base of the saddle (covered by the fabric).

Hand sewed the 3 fabric blankets of the saddles. Hand tied the yarn stuff for the halters and then added some tassles for fun.

Then the diorama components.

A big thanks to Dogwood bush 8n my backyard for donating the "timber" for the loft addition of the creche, to my my sister for donating the fabric scraps for this last detail, and my Mom for keeping me from serious injury regarding a sewing machine.  Laughing

Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptyTue Nov 30, 2021 6:44 am

Congratulations Paige, everything looks wonderful! Also, I did not know you play the piano! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptyTue Nov 30, 2021 6:47 am

VERY poorly these days... What a Face I keep meaning to brush up and continue my education but it hasn't happened yet.

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptyTue Nov 30, 2021 6:30 pm

Ok, slightly better lighting but not better focus.  Laughing Oh well!

All I need now is a proper Canaan dog.

Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptyTue Nov 30, 2021 6:34 pm

Big congratulation for that beautiful homemade creche, these beautiful santons and animals! Your dromedaries are very well dressed!  cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptyTue Nov 30, 2021 6:48 pm

Thank you very much Alain. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 3:20 am

Embarassed I missed the September update... love the diorama additions with the palms, and personally I think the camel tack us great! You made this into one of the best home Nativities I've seen.
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 4:16 pm

Looking great and love the camels!!!! Applause Applause Applause Applause

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 8:21 pm

That's such a beautiful nativity and perfect for this time of year! cheers Those saddles are amazing, they work beautifully with the camels and it's such a lovely thing to do! cheers I'm well aware of the hazards of sewing machines! Laughing
Yes, a Canaan dog would be marvellous! bounce Maybe you could repaint a suitable husky? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 9:10 pm

How I have enjoyed scrolling, reading and enjoying all the way down from the spindly box over lovely stable ( with pig in the loft Laughing ) and down to this fabulous scenery cheers bounce Applause Applause

That Schleich set is ever so beautyful, and your wonderful work makes them stand out in all their glory drunken

Do you have the box ?
On the box Maria's scarf has a golden lining, but I have read somewhere that at the last moment it was decided that Maria was not rich, and probably didn't have golden clothes study

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptyThu Dec 02, 2021 12:37 am

Thank you Kelly, Taylor, Lilias, and Susanne!  It has been a very fun project that has stretched my skill. 

Susanne, I DO have the original box it came in, and I love this set! I was very grateful to get it as a gift. That's partly why I have gone to such lengths to create a whole nativity scene around it, as I love it so much. Thank you for the fun info too, I didn't know that about the Mary figure!

Back to top Go down
A-J

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptyThu Dec 02, 2021 12:12 pm

It looks so great all together cheers and the saddles for the camels (which is a fun phrase to say btw) look really inventive and cool too! And just in time for advent/Christmas indeed :)

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... EmptyFri Dec 03, 2021 4:53 am

Thank you so much A-J! 

I have fallen ill to another bad cold and have been "out of it" the last few days... I realized I had forgotten an important part of my nativity! The (proverbial) angel!

And then I also found my Christmas lights for evening time.
NOW it is complete!  geek

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...   Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project... Empty

Back to top Go down

Christmas in July! Updated 12/18/21 A new project...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next