Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received

Go down 
+22
widukind
JackyLovertjex
Metallisuchus
Bowhead Whale
dlfrogman
MARTINLATIN
scot(t)
Mastiffcat
Suebeedo
baltimore zoo
ken yeo
Sergey
landrover
Silver Unicornis
Wildheart
Kikimalou
SyLoBe
Roger
SUSANNE
skysthelimit
HKHollinstone
Joan Milelire
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Joan Milelire

Joan Milelire

Country/State : Catalonia

Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received Empty
PostSubject: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyTue 21 Jun 2011, 12:51

Hello,

Last week I ordered some of Safari figurines. They're really difficult to find in Spain (impossible I'll say) Crying or Very sad and I bought them on ebay.

Of course I was guided with the pictures of the Safari web. But, what a disappointment when I received the figures. At least 3 of them the painting is very different from the ones of the web!!! Evil or Very Mad and the packaging (I don't know if that's the correct word) is not good. There are a kind of plastic between the legs of some animals that is not well-sized - or well adjusted-, and the legs become too separated.
I have to say too that there are another ones, like amebelodon, the manatee ant the Arabian orix that are really beautiful.

My list of objections:

- coyote: after remove the plastic between the legs seems the animal is ice skating Sad The painting of the face seems a cartoon, different from the Safari web one because there are no degraded colours scratch take a look:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

- snow leopard: the same about the face. The detail is not the same of the one of the picture:

- grizzly bear. Take a look to the painting of the fur in the web and the colour of my figure. It have no texture. Maybe is a problem on the photo, but I think not:

Now I will repaint some of them, I suppose, but what to do with the legs? Is it safe to use the dryer to arrange the legs position?

my handmade models: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]     my models in facebook: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://bestiari.weebly.com/
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyTue 21 Jun 2011, 13:05

I'm sorry some of your new models were disappointing Joan, it is horrible when that happens, catalogue pictures can be terribly misleading sometimes.
You could try the hair dryer technique with the coyote's legs, it might work, but see what others say first.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
skysthelimit

skysthelimit

Country/State : Serbia

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyTue 21 Jun 2011, 14:04

Sorry about your problem Joan Crying or Very sad
I don't think that you could solve the coyote's problem with a hairdryer, it looks that legs are widely set in body, if you use a dryer and make paws closer to each other - you will just bend the legs and make them arched, it won't work on elbow area

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyTue 21 Jun 2011, 17:41

Sorry to hear that you were so disapointed. Ohh, it hurts so much when one has looked forward to the package, and then...Mad

I agree with Robert. Unfortunately that is the way it is made .
The plastic "thing" they stand in is there to keep it that way. Papo has them also.

It seems that the one who painted your figueres has been very lavish with the eyeliner...but I still think they are wonderful figueres scratch Rolling Eyes

Try to take a look tomorrow, perhaps you like them better then. Especially the bear is gorgeous, I think Wink

Anyway, - CONGRATULATIONS with your new Safari-figueres. At least some of them were great and no disappointment flower
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Joan Milelire

Joan Milelire

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyTue 21 Jun 2011, 18:29

Thank you friends for your words in that sad moments Shocked Cool Very Happy lol!
fortunately I think can be fixed. I tried to move coyote's legs and the result is not bad. I put the legs in the correct position with some strings and pieces of wood, I applied the air dryer and now, I suppose I must wait but I don't know how many time will be necessary for the figure. Any idea?
Tomorrow (or maybe tonight if my son go to bed soon Wink ) I will begin painting.
Kindest regards! geek flower

my handmade models: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]     my models in facebook: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyTue 21 Jun 2011, 18:41

Joan, I'm also sorry with your disapointment! But this is something usual in collectors life, I think! :)
I love some of my Safari figures but the finish touch is really poor in most part of them. It looks they try to work faster than other brands, in finish touch they have surely the last place in main brands! The bear is a great sculpting, I already had it in my hands and I think it is a nice figure.
Some of us are learning that Safari updates often the paintwork and older versions are really poor, they also updates the pictures of the catalogues but if the old version is available they will send you that one.
This is not great for the brand. Another question is that Safari retouch the pictures of the catalogue because they know that it is important to sell, but CollectA also makes it and unless in 2010 catalogue retouched pictures are worst than the figures. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyTue 21 Jun 2011, 18:57

See the elk, the same figure in 2010 and 2011 catalogues.

Back to top Go down
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyTue 21 Jun 2011, 19:57

I know what you meant, Joan. As you know, I collect horses, and some of the Safari models looks really beautiful in the catalogue. I´m lucky because there´s a shop near my home where I can find some (very few) Safari models, so I was able to have a look. What a dissapointing thing was to discover most of the models weren´t as beautiful as in the catalogue! Oh, they really know how to photograph them, with the correct angle to hide the anatomical deffects. So now I look for pics of all possible angles before buying any Safari figurine without having seen it myself.

I was going to send yo a message about the legs correction, but I see you solved it great :) I can´t wait to see your repaintings!

Visit my art gallery at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyTue 21 Jun 2011, 20:14

Abu Rai wrote:
Thank you friends for your words in that sad moments Shocked Cool Very Happy lol!
fortunately I think can be fixed. I tried to move coyote's legs and the result is not bad. I put the legs in the correct position with some strings and pieces of wood, I applied the air dryer and now, I suppose I must wait but I don't know how many time will be necessary for the figure. Any idea?
Tomorrow (or maybe tonight if my son go to bed soon Wink ) I will begin painting.
Kindest regards! geek flower

the best is to put the coyote in very very cold water( with ice ) after bending Wink
Back to top Go down
Joan Milelire

Joan Milelire

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyWed 22 Jun 2011, 13:00

Thank you Silvia and Roger, Now I know that about Safari.
Thanks for the tip Christophe, I will try that this evening :)

Back to top Go down
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyWed 22 Jun 2011, 13:07

Kikimalou wrote:

the best is to put the coyote in very very cold water( with ice ) after bending Wink

Ice! What a great idea :)

Visit my art gallery at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
Wildheart

Wildheart

Country/State : Bucharest,Romania

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyWed 22 Jun 2011, 13:55

I have tried to bend multiple figurines and most return to their initial pose.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mihneanicolae.com
Silver Unicornis

Silver Unicornis

Country/State : Polish girl living in Scotland

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyWed 22 Jun 2011, 14:07

One of my friend bended Schleich lioness (turned her head) by heating her near the candle, which is much hotter than the air from hairdryer, and then put her in cold water. The lioness keeps her new pose for 1,5 year now :)

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
Wildheart

Wildheart

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyWed 22 Jun 2011, 14:49

Most, not all! Wink
Back to top Go down
Silver Unicornis

Silver Unicornis

Country/State : Polish girl living in Scotland

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyWed 22 Jun 2011, 15:21

Maybe it depends on the material Wink

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyWed 22 Jun 2011, 17:16

Wildheart wrote:
I have tried to bend multiple figurines and most return to their initial pose.

NOT..NOT...MY procedure is:

I put water to hot, up to a boil.
In other vessel ,I put water, with enough ices.
then I put into the boiling water, part of the animal I want to bend,
I wait 25 seconds.
in a fast-moving,out animal, hold the folded ,and put in water with ice. I wait other 25 seconds.
I repaired
all my animals.
The Most dificult animal was "noah pals"
Back to top Go down
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyWed 22 Jun 2011, 21:07

Don´t you burn yourself when touching the boiled part? Doesn´t the rubber get deformed where you aply pressure in order to bend it?

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyWed 22 Jun 2011, 21:33

What I do is, put the hair dryer on the model until the plastic is bendable, then when I get it into the position I want I put it under cold water for a few seconds.

Back to top Go down
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyWed 22 Jun 2011, 21:34

Hi Joan! You are not alone in your disappointment! Laughing Wink It,s good known problem - on the brand site we see the best painting of models... My grizzly model has painting like your figurine.

Joan Milelire

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyThu 23 Jun 2011, 08:09

Thank you for your tips friends! I think I'll try the hot water - cold water sistem. But is itnecessary to boil the water or only very hot Cool ? One think that surprised me when I try to work with the hair dryer is that the painting was OK, I thought that something horrible will happen Razz
And thank you for your words Sergey, I'm not so alone now Razz

Back to top Go down
Wildheart

Wildheart

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyThu 23 Jun 2011, 08:18

I used the same method as Harriet on some CollectAs and Schleichs and they returned to their original pose... No
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyThu 23 Jun 2011, 09:52

Wildheart wrote:
I used the same method as Harriet on some CollectAs and Schleichs and they returned to their original pose... No
all the one's I've done so far have kept their pose scratch

Back to top Go down
ken yeo

ken yeo

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyThu 23 Jun 2011, 09:59

Hi Joan! it happens to my grizzly bear too! the catalogue look so good with different layer of depth of same colour. But when I saw it I nearly fainted and realised the colour is just too flat.

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyThu 23 Jun 2011, 16:25

SyLoBe wrote:
Don´t you burn yourself when touching the boiled part? Doesn´t the rubber get deformed where you aply pressure in order to bend it?

I let the water boil. I use tweezers to place the animal in the water.
I put my fingers in cold water before bending the animal and so prevent burning.
Press and hold the animal in cold water to harden, it is necessary in large animals, because the weight can bend your legs and it fall.

The paint never fail, either in animals of famous brands or made ​​in china.
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received EmptyThu 23 Jun 2011, 17:24

Hey Sergey, I like how you have the Papo bears sparring. Have you thought about repainting one brown, to have a "brown phase" black bear?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received   Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received Empty

Back to top Go down

Disappointed with some of the Safari figurines I received
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next