Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024

Go down 
+16
75senta75
Oryx7557
Taos
Chris Sweetman
landrover
Ana
rogerpgvg
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
Kikimalou
Roger
Caracal
Jill
sunny
Stripedhyena
Bonnie
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyThu May 16, 2024 10:46 pm

More interesting old models (and a Papo that is not so old). It seems to be a French characteristic to have painted eyebrows. Several Clairets and Blancherie Frères have it, and now I see that the JEM rhino has it too. Does the French Macaque have it too? Wink

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyFri May 17, 2024 11:55 am

This topic is a very good example for old interesting figures that we often dont know here.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:16 pm

Lovely rhinos again!
I have a huge sentiment for the papo one. I bought one back in 2014 in a zoo souvenir shop in Rotterdam (Blijdorp) and I immediately knew it was a keeper. It will always remind me about my first visit to this zoo. Very good model, of course I still have it, together with the calf.

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:55 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I was sur you would like the Jim one, it is probably the rhino who inspired your Pseudo-Clairet one  Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Papo’s dinosaurs aren't realist but they strong personnality well made toys for children  Very Happy  Not my taste though  Wink except the Kronosaurus which have a great vintage look. We'll see for theSuchomimus, it seems very tempting indeed

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Painted eyebrows  Laughing Thats's true   Wink  

French Macaque prefer Raybans  Wink
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], I'm glad you like this topic, I'm really enjoying making it too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] It gives me great pleasure to know that this Rhino mom is still part of your collection.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyFri May 17, 2024 11:05 pm

I also love especially the JIM rhino with a slice of watermelon on his shoulders.
I still have a few Norev cars, they are very good but they will be sold.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptySat May 18, 2024 8:43 am

Watermellon ??? Shocked ... Yes cheers and also a banana on its nose tongue Laughing
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyMon May 20, 2024 9:12 pm

Sunglasses to hide the eye paint! I suppose Blancheries Frères were the first to adopt this fashion, or are there earlier models? I think it is quite curious that it was adopted by several French companies.

Cyhyraeth

Country/State : Russian Federation

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyMon May 20, 2024 9:34 pm

Such a neat collection.
And yep, the JIM rhino's a cute one!

https://www.omhps.com/User/Index/185ed076-cb84-45b5-8df1-ec600ba
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyTue May 21, 2024 4:07 pm

Thank you very mich Cyhyraeth cheers

Roger, I don't think that eyebrows are an exclusively French speciality. German toys in composition sometimes have this distinctive sign and the same is true for celluloid animals whether they come from France, Germany, USA or Japan.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyWed May 22, 2024 7:52 pm

Tonight it's n°73 and 74's turn.  I could very well have started this topic with these two, because there's something very special about them: they're Pfeiffer! But what else?
It is an Austrian toy manufacturer, based in Vienna and founded by Emil Pfeiffer in 1898.
It was this gentleman who really invented the concept of making models out of composition.
In 1900, he made the first industrially-produced series of animal toys.
So here we are at the genesis of our passion.

This rhinoceros, like all the animals in the "1900" series, was manufactured from the dawn of the century to 1914.
He is therefore between 110 and 124 years old. Its composition is hollow and finding it in good condition is quite a feat.
For me, it was a Grail for a very long time, a dream I thought unattainable. It is rare, sought after on the German market and therefore far too expensive for me.
In December 2021, a miracle happened: I came across a whole bunch of old Pfeiffers from the 1900 series on eBay.fr, bidding at 10% of the going price in Germany.
Ricardo and I made very small bids together, saying to ourselves "either we'll get the deal of the century, or we'll have saved a lot of money".
We were the only bidders, a real Christmas tale. So we both ended up with absolutely unimaginable wonders in our hands.
Here is the jewel cheers

On the eve of WWI, Pfeiffer replaced the 1900 series with new toys, the 1914 series, which would be produced until 1925, when Hausser bought our Austrian company.
This series included a new rhinoceros. Although its finish was inferior to that of its ancestor, it was to have a successful career, serving as a "model" for other companies such as Czechoslovakia's Durolin.

Father & son

With Schleich
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyWed May 22, 2024 11:44 pm

You say the animal is in good condition? It clearly has dermatitis in a rather advanced stage! Laughing
Just kidding, congratulations for your joint venture with Ricardo to acquire such a rarity. Very beautiful heads and elegant design with scute shaped shields.

Stripedhyena

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyWed May 22, 2024 11:45 pm

I get excited every time I remember the story of the Pfeiffer 1900 rhino... A real early Christmas!

Last edited by Stripedhyena on Thu May 23, 2024 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyThu May 23, 2024 5:46 am

Another nice rhino

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyThu May 23, 2024 10:13 pm

Roger wrote:
You say the animal is in good condition? It clearly has dermatitis in a rather advanced stage! Laughing
Just kidding, congratulations for your joint venture with Ricardo to acquire such a rarity. Very beautiful heads and elegant design with scute shaped shields.

I wonder why I'm discussing dermatology with a crocodile? Palmface Laughing

Stripedhyena wrote:
I get excited every time I remember the story of the Pfeiffer 1900 rhino... A real early Christmas!

santa Indeeed cheers

widukind wrote:
Another nice rhino

Thank you Andreas Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyThu May 23, 2024 10:52 pm

Amazing to see such old models. Even the younger one is very old. And as you already say, in such a beautiful condition. I am curious what other models were in your Christmas present.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyFri May 24, 2024 5:42 pm

My xmass part was : Brown bear, Dromedary, Hyena, Indian rhinoceros, Polar bear, Tiger and Zebra Very Happy

Ricardo part was: Elephant, Hippopotamus, Leopard, Lion, Lioness, Monkey and Wolf Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyTue May 28, 2024 9:39 pm

Who should follow the two venerable Pfeiffers? A delicate matter...

Tonight I present a rhino that was for me the rhino of the renaissance and also the opportunity to tell you a little story about my life as a collector. I'm talking about Safari Ltd in 2012. Very Happy

This one appeared in the middle of a desert, at that time no brand was offering Indian rhinoceros. What a Face The dice seemed to be cast and the favourite rhino of the 20th century was going to give way to its African cousins.
Fortunately, that year Safari Ltd was to offer what is still for me the crème de la crème of Indian rhinoceros. drunken
The first photos I saw filled me with joy cheers , but also with fear! affraid
Safari Ltd was preparing to produce a magnificently sculpted model, but unfortunately with a very rough and basic paint job. Every fold of the animal, every relief was reinforced by a band of dark paint that contrasted sharply with the rest of the paint. I couldn't bear to see my future new favourite smeared like that.
So I plucked up my courage and managed to contact Ramona Pariente, the CEO of Safari Ltd at the time, to explain her that the paint was ruining the model's potential and that it would be better to paint it more soberly. After a few exchanges with this nice lady I managed to convince her and the model was given a paint job that was still marked but much softer than originally planned. Every time I look at my rhino, I feel my chest puff out and a smile of satisfaction takes over my face. king

In 2016, Safari Ltd decided to change the paintwork on their rhino once again, much to my delight. This latest version is even better than the first, even if I don't puff out my chest in front of it. Laughing

All together now
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyTue May 28, 2024 9:59 pm

Great story! You must have made many collectors very happy (even if they didn't know). I have to say that I prefer the slightly more striking paint job of the earlier version.

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyWed May 29, 2024 4:43 am

Kikimalou wrote:

So I plucked up my courage and managed to contact Ramona Pariente, the CEO of Safari Ltd at the time, to explain her that the paint was ruining the model's potential and that it would be better to paint it more soberly. After a few exchanges with this nice lady I managed to convince her and the model was given a paint job that was still marked but much softer than originally planned. Every time I look at my rhino, I feel my chest puff out and a smile of satisfaction takes over my face.  king

Wonderful story Christophe! there really are just normal humans behind these little plastic figures Very Happy
and there I was looking at the photos before I read your story thinking about the dark areas on this first rhino. It's good to see them both together, and I really do love how detailed and expressive their mouths and faces are from the front .
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyWed May 29, 2024 5:14 am

Wow I didn't know that! One of the things I love most about Safari is how much they care for their customers. Not only did she respond, but actually took your recommendation! I didn't know they made another paint version in 2016, I have that one cheers

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyWed May 29, 2024 9:58 am

Thanks to you a very beautiful and realistic model! 👏👏
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyWed May 29, 2024 5:19 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I prefer the second one but I love so much the earlier version of course.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], thanks for enjoying my story  Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], Yes Ramona Pariente is a really nice person and yes Safari Ltd people are concerned about their products, their customers and not only the money  Applause

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thank you Alain Very Happy

Last edited by Kikimalou on Wed May 29, 2024 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyWed May 29, 2024 6:32 pm

cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyThu May 30, 2024 12:55 am

Those old composition rhinos are magnificent, what a striking pair! They could not have ended up in better hands. It is always exciting to find a grail for an incredible price.

Also a wonderful story with the Safari. That was bold and brave and it turned out so successful. Good on her for listening to a collector as well, that is not what I would have expected.

Two great little historical stories in the world of plastic rhinoceros. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 EmptyThu May 30, 2024 10:56 pm

Thank you Jill and Andreas Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024 - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated June 19 2024
Page 11 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next