Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024

Go down 
+14
Taos
Chris Sweetman
landrover
Ana
rogerpgvg
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
Kikimalou
Roger
Caracal
Jill
sunny
Stripedhyena
Bonnie
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 15, 2023 9:17 pm

Haha, adorable! Those two could inspire many stories Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 16, 2023 6:39 am

Nice again

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 16, 2023 6:59 pm

I love the little oddities, the strange ears and the little extra horn growing from the big horn and the hybridized species. It's so interesting to think about why choices were made, and it makes each of them so appealing in a character way (maybe not in a realism way, haha). I also really love the singing rhino family! What a pose! Applause
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 16, 2023 7:08 pm

the 2 horned little Panini is very cute! I wonder if it was a mistake or extra plastic?
What a fascinating read, all about the founding of these companies and how old these models are - your knowledge is amazing Christophe!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 17, 2023 10:22 am

Caracal wrote:
Shocked Are you sure the Chialu is not contagious?!  Laughing

Laughing

Ana wrote:
Haha, adorable! Those two could inspire many stories Very Happy
Jill wrote:
I love the little oddities, the strange ears and the little extra horn growing from the big horn and the hybridized species. It's so interesting to think about why choices were made, and it makes each of them so appealing in a character way (maybe not in a realism way, haha). I also really love the singing rhino family! What a pose! Applause

Yes, some are very realistic and others have a very strong personality. These are perfect for telling stories and rediscovering a bit of childhood. drunken
Who had the idea to make such rhinos that walk while singing and especially how this idea came to him is a very good question indeed.

widukind wrote:
Nice again

Thanks Andreas Very Happy

sunny wrote:
the 2 horned little Panini is very cute! I wonder if it was a mistake or extra plastic?
What a fascinating read, all about the founding of these companies and how old these models are - your knowledge is amazing Christophe!

Thank you Annette, the models of the "Animali del Mundo" series are of a rather coarse manufacture, this rhino is no exception to the rule. It is the only hybrid between a two-horned rhinoceros and a unicorn. It's a one and a half horned rhino Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 21, 2023 7:55 pm

Tonight I present my second trio of singers. Unlike the Cherileas, they don't walk. Laughing
They are two Beton Bergen and a look-alike who lived in Argentina.
Beton, whose real name is BErgen TOy and Novelty, is a US company. It was the first company to use plastic, right from the start of production in 1935. It disappeared in 1958.
Amongst a production of circus and zoo animals, it made a highly recognizable Indian Rhinoceros.
The sculptor was certainly inspired by this 1923 illustration.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Not far from where I live, there's a museum called "La Piscine de Roubaix" which houses a fine collection of animal sculptures. Among the wonders of Pompon and Jouve, there's also a rhinoceros sculpted by Michel Zadounaisky in 1946.

But back to toys and Beton. Most animals were first made in a hard brittle plastic of an acetate type called Tenite, in the later years of the company they used a soft plastic in bright colors.

The animal is stylized, hollowed out inside the belly to gain material. It features the brand's initials on the right thigh and has two ejection points, one on the belly and one that disfigures one cheek.

Its successor in colored soft palstic will have the same characteristics.

This Rhino will inspire an Argentine brand to produce a plastic look-alike a little less soft than the blue Rhino above. Although very inspired by Beton, it's not a carbon copy - as long as the original, it's still been put on a diet.
Also hollow, it lacks the other distinctive Beton features: nothing on the thigh and a single ejection point on the shoulder rather than the cheek.
The head is different, as are the eyes and throat. It also has a bunch of little shell knobs that are absent from the Beton.

The three a capella tenors
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 21, 2023 9:50 pm

Interesting selection of Indian rhinos-I think I may have an old Natural history book with the illustration in it!

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2023 2:04 am

Kikimalou wrote:

Not far from where I live, there's a museum called "La Piscine de Roubaix" which houses a fine collection of animal sculptures. Among the wonders of Pompon and Jouve, there's also a rhinoceros sculpted by Michel Zadounaisky in 1946.

That bronze sculpture is stunning! What size is it?
and that is some extraordinary museum, with a swimming pool in the centre, how splendid and avante garde? I don't speak French but that's the word that immediately came to mind Very Happy

I love these style of rhinos, they have such an elegant profile. And they are so full of character, and made all the more interesting with your walk around and finer details Christophe!
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2023 11:24 pm

The Beton blue version is the one I prefer! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 23, 2023 8:33 am

I like the blue one Very Happy nice trio!
Interesting to see a chain of "sculpted after" rhinos.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 24, 2023 5:35 pm

I love seeing the original drawing that clearly inspired the chain of sculptures inspiring each other. I wonder what the original artist would think to see their work turned three dimensional in so many ways!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 25, 2023 6:28 pm

Thank you all for stopping by. cheers

Yes Jill, I'm not sure the artist intended such a posterity.

Annette, the sculpture must be 60cm tall as I recall, but it may be a little larger... I'll have to go back.
I love this museum, it has some very fine collections and is housed in an extraordinary place, the former Art-Deco "bains-douches" swimming pool in Roubaix. When the pool was created, the town of Roubaix was called the French Manchester. The town council had decided to offer the working-class population a place where they could bathe as a family and practice swimming in magnificent surroundings.
When you visit the museum, you can still see the bathrooms and individual changing rooms, and hear the sounds of a swimming-pool in the background. For me, it's always a unique and soothing visit. drunken
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 28, 2023 10:00 am

The Beton rhinos are very stylish. Nice that you have an Argentine version too, which is similar but not identical. I didn't know that Beton was the first company to use plastic. Do I understand correctly that the brown-cream rhino that you have is made of Tenite (rather than the later softer plastic)?

Going back to your "Mickey Mouse" rhinos. Are their ears positioned apart from each other because the mould consisted of only two pieces and it would be difficult to separate them if they were opposite each other?

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 28, 2023 8:28 pm

I've missed a few posts meanwhile but this is the nicest way to tell the story of this hobby just using rhinos. cheers
Some funny ones, some very artistic, wonderful to see all sort of interpretations.
In my opinion, those armoured rhinos with two horns are all Indian rhinoceros just with the wrong number of horns. Some famous brand did it and many others copied. I think the ones who were made to be versatile are those ambiguous by AAA, since there's no "legite" African rhinos in their range, maybe those ambiguous models intend to serve as African and Asian simultaneously. The fact is that AAA has a few relatively realistic Indian rhinos too.

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 29, 2023 1:57 am

I just love your singing rhinoceroses! What great charm and attraction that most modern figures miss.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 29, 2023 8:30 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
The Beton rhinos are very stylish. Nice that you have an Argentine version too, which is similar but not identical. I didn't know that Beton was the first company to use plastic. Do I understand correctly that the brown-cream rhino that you have is made of Tenite (rather than the later softer plastic)?

Going back to your "Mickey Mouse" rhinos. Are their ears positioned apart from each other because the mould consisted of only two pieces and it would be difficult to separate them if they were opposite each other?

I'm not sure the brown-cream rhino is made in tenite, the very first models were very dark not creamy. All I can say is that tenite is a biological material and that the first Betons are therefore condemned to disappear in terrible suffering and deformation. Creamy is as beautiful as a new penny.

I think as you that the "Mickey Mouse" ears is an answer to molding problems.

Roger wrote:
I've missed a few posts meanwhile but this is the nicest way to tell the story of this hobby just using rhinos. cheers
Some funny ones, some very artistic, wonderful to see all sort of interpretations.
In my opinion, those armoured rhinos with two horns are all Indian rhinoceros just with the wrong number of horns. Some famous brand did it and many others copied. I think the ones who were made to be versatile are those ambiguous by AAA, since there's no "legite" African rhinos in their range, maybe those ambiguous models intend to serve as African and Asian simultaneously. The fact is that AAA has a few relatively realistic Indian rhinos too.

Welcome back Rogério Laughing
Bicorn rhinoceros Indians are fairly typical of the post-war period, with only Pfeiffer and Hausser having produced them before. The case of Pfeiffer is interesting but we'll talk about that later.
There are also single-horned rhinoceros, but without the characteristics of the Indian rhino, or only to a very limited extent.
As for African rhinos, they will remain very rare in the production of the 20th century.

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
I just love your singing rhinoceroses! What great charm and attraction that most modern figures miss.

That's what I love about vintage toys, what they lose in 'realism' they more than make up for in 'personality'.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 02, 2023 7:42 pm

This week we take a tour of post-WW2 France, where a host of companies are set to emerge in the era of plastics. These include Clairet, Cofalu and Cyrnos.
Much more than Starlux, Clairet is the prestigious brand of the 50s and early 60s in France.
From 1953, the company offered a range of 80 zoo animals, which was considerable for the time. To this were added decorative elements inspired by the Vincennes Zoo and its famous rock. The ”scale” of the zoo animals is slightly smaller than 1/32, and the style is highly recognisable. Clairet is the brand of one man, François Clairet, who was his founder, manager and above all sculptor of the figurines he offered until the 1980s.
These included a small Indian rhinoceros that would inspire other toy manufacturers.

In the 1950s, Mr Paoli renamed his company CYRNOS and also produced plastic toy soldiers and a range of zoo animals. This was not as extensive as Clairet's, and the sculpture and painting were not as beautiful as those of his competitor Clairet. But it was Clairet that Paoli drew his inspiration from, as this little rhinoceros shows.

Even though the Cyrnos is laid in the opposite way to the Clairet, the connection is obvious.

Founded in 1947 by Jean and Germaine Ohrensstein, Cofalu (COnstruction FAcile en ALUminium) is best known for its production of aluminium cyclists figurines of the Tour de France in the 1960s.
Cofalu also produced its first range of wild animals, some of which were inspired by Starlux models.
Cofalu is still in business today under the name Kim'play (which sounds like "Qui me plait - That I like” in French).
In the 70s, the company bought Clairet moulds and produced painted and monochrome plastic copies. Such is the case with this little rhinoceros.

The Cofalu is thinner and smaller than its ancestor

The three companions together, Cofalu and Cyrnos are both slightly simplified copies of Clairet. The visible ears of the Clairet form a cap-like visor on the other two, while the feet have become thinner.
The best fed of the three is Cyrnos, although it is no bigger than the Clairet, while the small yellow one is the slimmest of the three.

Last edited by Kikimalou on Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 02, 2023 8:28 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Saarlooswolfhound wrote:

That's what I love about vintage toys, what they lose in 'realism' they more than make up for in 'personality'.

Exactly, that personality and charm and character, things modern brands often miss but are the key traits that endear those old models to us!

Love the rhinos again. This interpretation of the species is interesting to me. Thank you again for your presentation!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 02, 2023 11:14 pm

I enjoy the limousine style of the Clairet models. Very long body and small head. The inspiration is even more extreme. Nice to read about the connections between these models.
Looking forward to read about the Pfeiffer and Elastolin rhinos. bounce

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 6:53 am

They're very cool looking rhinos! And interesting story about the French brands, thanks for sharing!
To me this sculpture looks like a rhino version of a race horse. I think it's because of the proportions and quite vigorous movement Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 14, 2023 8:36 pm

For this evening, I propose two small Japanese rhinos.

When you think of Gashapon animals, the name Kaiyodo springs to mind first: little 3D puzzles, generally very realistic, with the joints between the pieces sometimes a little too visible.

No Gashapon, no Kaiyodo, but a Colorata and an Eikoh this time.

Colorata, the "box company" that offers young Japanese a whole range of wildlife from all over the world.

In 2004, Colorata produced a box of 12 animals for Ueno Zoo. At the time, to obtain these figurines, you had to watch ebay where they were sold by the piece. This series remained mysterious for a few years because it did not appear on the brand's website.
One of the twelve figures is an Indian Rhinoceros in a slightly static pose, with relief enhanced by a line of paint.

Colorata will be offering a second Indian rhinoceros in its Zoogeography Oriental Region box in 2018. The box does not excite me enough to buy it and nobody sells the Rhino in spare on the web.

So for the second star of the evening, we'll be hanging around Eikoh.

Founded in 1971, this company entered the world of animal toys collectors in 2014, offering new animal sets every year, often inspired by Western or Japanese models.
This is not the case with the Indian Rhinoceros from the Miniature Planet Vol. 19 set released in 2020. No matter how hard I look, I can't find any direct link with an earlier model.

I made a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in 2021 if you want to watch more pics Very Happy

Both frequent my jungle at 1/50 scale but have different morphologies, the Colorata with a compact body that makes it "tall on its feet" and the Eikoh with a slender body that makes it "short on legs".  Laughing

I’m telling you they're small!  Wink

This will be my last contribution for July as I'm off to Brittany tomorrow morning. See you in August. sunny
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 14, 2023 10:58 pm

Two great figures. I especially like the Colorata, perhaps because it is quite similar to the Britains. I wonder whether the Colorata Ueno Zoo box is still in production; it is still regularly for sale on Japanese auction websites. Have a good holiday!

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 7:33 am

They're very cute! I didn't know about this Colorata rhino at all, what a nice little model. And looks good with the Eikoh friend. Very Happy
Have a fabulous holiday, Christophe! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 12:11 pm

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 11:49 pm

Maybe the Colorata box with the rhino you're missing is too expensive for your excitment because I believe you can find some interesting figures besides the rhino. I would love myself to get the dhole, there's no other. You're right about the Eikoh model, no inspiration from a Western company but that's great actually.
I hope you enjoy your holiday! Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024   Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024 - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Kikimalou's Indian rhinoceros collection updated May 8 2024
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next