Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

Country/State : Ireland

Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  Empty
PostSubject: Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki    Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  EmptySun Jun 11, 2023 10:58 am

Hello everyone, just a general question about the toy animal wiki. I have noticed that several pieces from some brands, namely Papo aren't on the wiki, or at least in any easy to find section. Etc. Papo do have a range of historical and fantasy figures and yet the section called 'Papo People' where you'd likely put them doesn't seem to have them?
I'm referring to the likes of Papo figures including Napoleon, Louis IX, princes and princesses and a fantasy rider and his horse, same goes for some of Papo's unicorn figurines.
If one wanted to add these to the wiki, how would they go about it? Who can add these to the toy wiki too? Is there a specific way in which that should be done?
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki    Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  EmptySun Jun 11, 2023 7:21 pm

First and foremost, as the name suggests, Toy Animal Wiki is a website dedicated to animal figures. They are the priority, and the animal themed series should be the focus of the efforts of the few editors of the wiki.
Naturally, other series can be listed, especially those that are somehow related to the theme of animals, such as humans on the farm, related to equestrian activities or prehistoric humans.
Another exception that we usually make is the inclusion of non-animal-related lines that are an important part of a brand's range dedicated to the theme.
In this context, historical figures from Papo can be included. Though, it doesn't mean we will include historical figures exaustively, especially when they are not part of animal themed toys companies.
Fantasy creatures are already part of the wiki, there is even a draft page where people can start adding the Papo fantasy models.
Another example for Papo is the iconic line of Mutants, but those are the kind of lines a traditional editor will not waste his time with because there are so many job to do and many animal figures to be entered.
If you or someone have joy adding these figures to the Wiki, it is something that can be discussed because we must put some limits to prevent TAW from losing its essence and straying from the scope for which it was created.
Using again the Papo Mutants as an example, they much probably deserve to be listed on TAW as long as they're not included into the species pages. I mean, the Tiger mutant should not be listed under the tiger species page. Though, it does not hurt to see a page dedicated to the series.

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki    Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  EmptySun Jun 11, 2023 7:39 pm

Yes, I see what you mean, there IS more Unicorns by Papo that should probably be on the page, so in future I think it would be a good thing to add them etc.
As for the human/historical figures, especially the fantasy horse rider, theres a slight overlap in that the fantasy horse is a horse model so...I dunno... maybe there's an exception there?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki    Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  EmptySun Jun 11, 2023 8:09 pm

I understand but the fact there is a horse in a historical series, it doesn't mean it is animal themed.
Could you immagine the amount of Western themed series or soldier series we had to add because they have horses? Even humans are animals. However, if you look carefully, you can find some figures of these themes on TAW but it often has a context or depends on the editor.

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki    Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  EmptySun Jun 11, 2023 8:16 pm

Could it be done with the unicorns though? As part of the fantasy sets? At a future date, a Collab with someone to add them might be nice
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki    Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  EmptySun Jun 11, 2023 8:20 pm

Sure, as I mentioned, we have already a page for Papo Fantasy figures and you can see one of their unicorns here.
Do you have Papo unicorn pictures?

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki    Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  EmptySun Jun 11, 2023 8:23 pm

I do have some actually, they look to be a repaint, resculpt of a 2003 model- don't have it to hand now.
Might be interesting to work on building up that on the wiki...
There's some Schleich ones too I believe might be missing but I haven't checked properly yet.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki    Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  EmptySun Jun 11, 2023 8:27 pm

I can upload the pictures as long as you provide me the product number and release date, I take an eternity to find that information on a catalogue. Unicorns look all the same to me. Laughing
However, if you want to join the editing community, you can ask for an editor account through this link
https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Editor

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki    Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  EmptySun Jun 11, 2023 8:34 pm

I KNOW! That's the problem I have with them, I'm struggling to find the release date 😅
It's exhausting combing through all those catalogues and if you come upon sources online, is it correct etc.
I'll take a look at the draft catalogue and that link and see.
Thanks for your information! 👌
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki    Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  EmptySun Jun 11, 2023 8:40 pm

They're usually marked with the release year. Though, if they're reissued or repainted, they will show the year of the original mould what is wrong for that specific model. If they also have the batch number painted, usually 4 digits in black, it will help you to know the year that exact figure was manufactured, it is not always the release year but it will give you a good approach. If you have a Papo unicorn with you, I can tell you how to do it.
You can find Papo pdf catalogues in this website too
https://www.spielzeug-guenstig.de/Kataloge-und-Sammelhefte-zum-Download.html

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki    Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  EmptySun Jun 11, 2023 8:43 pm

Ok, thanks, I do actually have some of their Unicorns which I'll dig out and have a look at.
Good to know! 👌
Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki    Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  EmptyMon Jun 12, 2023 10:15 am

Y'know Roger, I had a look through those catalogues and was able to successfully date my unicorns/Pegasus.(I hope it was successfully alright!)

Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  2002_r11Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  2002_r10
Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  2002_r12

This one seems to be a 2002 model(the number on the belly is hard to see, but it does say 2002). The  model number is 39018.

Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  2015_u11
Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  2015_u10

This one seems to be a Unicorn from 2015. It's model number is 39116.

Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  2019_p11
Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  2019_p10

This one is a Papo Pegasus, the model number is 39162.

Once again, thanks Roger! cheers Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki    Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  EmptyMon Jun 12, 2023 3:00 pm

Interesting! I'll revisit this later but the unicorn marked 2015 was released as Papo Ice Unicorn in 2016 and as Enchanted unicorn in 2017 with different colors.
Yours is the first?

Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  Papo39104iceunicorn

Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  Papo39116enchantedunicorn

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki    Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  EmptyMon Jun 12, 2023 3:07 pm

Thanks Roger, yes that's what I'm not sure about! Is there repainting etc going on? The pink enchanted one I have definitely has 2015 on her belly, hence me always being puzzled by them. I never know where to start with Papo Unicorns.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki    Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  EmptyMon Jun 12, 2023 3:54 pm

So yours is the pink enchanted one. I added it on TAW.
I can "guide" you through this but I can't do it myself. The only problem is not the fact it is not an area of my collecting interest. As a color blind person, I hardly can tell these variations over the same mold.
The only way is to run all catalogues through the first to the last and take notes.
I'm convinced that first 2002 Unicorn is the first ever released. The year marked on it usually means the year the mold was finished. So, it will show as new in the catalogue of the further year.
You should start with the 2003 catalogue and check which Fantasy creatures you can find there paying always atention to the colors. I think that first mold was available as a silver and also as a golden unicorn. When a new color of a mold is released, it is presented as new, usually with a new product number, though it retains the year marked onto the original mold.
Besides the color variations, I think some of the mounted ones also use or recycle these molds, I have no idea if the magic riders can be removed or not.
There's still a chance that a few of them have exclusive editions for stores or sets and those do not always feature in catalogues.
Don't forget there are other unicorns, namely the Fairy unicorn and at least one more mold. There are also youngsters.
If you have time and patience to list them through the info you find on catalogues, with their product numbers and official names, I'd be glad of adding links to them on TAW.
I'm here to help with any questions, just do not ask me about colors. Laughing

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki    Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  EmptyMon Jun 12, 2023 4:34 pm

Yes and thanks for your help. It will take a good deal of time to thrall through the information from the catalogues and make sure it's correct etc.
I'm also inclined to think like that, the enchanted one was first made in 2002 alright and the one I have is a repaint/remould
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki    Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  EmptyMon Jun 12, 2023 4:44 pm

You're welcome, you can see the early version on this 2003 catalogue.
Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  Captura-de-Ecr-28

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki    Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  EmptyMon Jun 12, 2023 4:47 pm

Yup, that's definitely an earlier model! I do plan to work on cataloging the unicorns at some stage...it will take time so, I dunno, it's always a work in progress I think.
Thanks Roger!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki    Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki  Empty

Back to top Go down

Questions on Adding to the Toy Animal Wiki
Page 1 of 1