Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

1/32 scale animals second part

Go down 
+11
Jill
bjarki12
rogerpgvg
Leyster
Roger
bmathison1972
sunny
Kikimalou
Caracal
Taos
widukind
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptyFri Nov 03, 2023 5:34 pm

Let’s have a look at my wildebeest:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Their horns suggest that they are all blue rather than black wildebeest, probably either the common wildebeest subspecies or the eastern white-bearded subspecies.

Attwell (1982) found that when measured over the shoulder, common blue wildebeest bulls had a shoulder height of 141-156.5 cm and cows were 129-141 cm. He noted that these values were based on animals older than the age at which a particular growth asymptote was attained, so they are larger than if all adults had been considered. Braack (1973) found that the mean height between pegs for common wildebeest bulls was 129.9 cm and for cows 121.6 cm. Measuring eastern white-bearded wildebeest between pegs, Sachs observed that bulls were 111-134 cm and cows were 107-123 cm. He also measured them over the shoulder and found that this measurement was on average 13.3 cm more for bulls and 10.9 cm more for cows. Subtracting these values from the Atwell (1982) data, we can estimate the common blue wildebeest in this study had a 128-143 cm (bulls) and 118-130 cm (cows) shoulder height between pegs. If we further take into account Attwell’s caveat that younger adults were not included, then we could assume that common blue wildebeest are about 125-143 (bulls) and 115-130 cm (cows). Lots of room for cheating Evil or Very Mad, but it corresponds well to the means observed by Braack (1973).

My oldest wildebeest is by Starlux (1969). It looks a little bit funny from some angles, but it is nice enough.

Its shoulder height between pegs is 4.5/144 cm but it has a shoulder hump that makes it larger than it really is. Height over the shoulder is harder to measure, but I’d say 4.8/154 cm. It is gender neutral, but given its size, it has to be male. Because its lighter colour, it may be best as an eastern white-bearded wildebeest.

The Britains wildebeest is from 1977. It’s an excellent lively sculpt but the painting is quite bland.

Its shoulder height between pegs is 4.0/128 cm (not including its hair), though it practice, it is larger because its legs are bent. (I find it too difficult to determine its height over the shoulder.) Its underside shows that it is a male. As with many Britains models, its colour varies, from grey to more beige-grey and depending on that, it could be a different subspecies. This model often doesn’t stand up well because it leans too much to the right.

New-Ray released a gnu in 1992. As so often with New-Ray, the colours are a little odd.

The sculpt is good but that isn’t New-Ray’s work: It is an almost exact copy of the Britains gnu. Not an exact copy, because New-Ray have neutered it. It’s also a bit smaller than the Britains with a 3.8/122 cm shoulder height between pegs (without hair and base). Because it has some light colours, perhaps we could see it as a eastern white-bearded wildebeest.

My only modern 1/32 scale gnu is made by Eikoh, released in 2014. While the sculpt looks slightly toyish to me, it’s the best painted model, and this allows us to identify it as a common blue wildebeest, in particular because it has a black rather than lighter-coloured beard.

It has a shoulder height of 4.3/138 cm between pegs (without hair; about 4.6 cm over the shoulder) and is gender neutral, possibly with an underside leaning towards male.

And finally, I have a gnu calf too. It’s by Bandaï, part of their Africa World Natural Animals series from 2002. Bandaï's adult gnu is too small, but the calf is perfect in size. You might think that it has a strange colour, but in fact, the colour is appropriate because young wildebeest have a very light colour.

In terms of style, it may be best with the Eikoh:

In terms of colour, best with the New-Ray. Perhaps its colour suggests that the New-Ray never really grew up. Like many of us.

My adult gnus look quite different from each other, with different styles and colours. The New-Ray looks especially odd in the herd. The Starlux, Britains and Eikoh look better together:

The Britains and Eikoh are perhaps the best combination:

Last edited by rogerpgvg on Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptyFri Nov 03, 2023 10:52 pm

thank you Roger, what a wonderful presentation!

Gnus are very playful in nature and always looking for opportunities to have fun (the wild herds that I watch!). They will spar with any other animal who is looking to challenge them and are always up for sparring sessions, and this includes oryx, other antelopes and yes - even warthogs!! They are also very curious and courageous and will always investigate something new. They will collectively chase away any predators in their vicinity.
Lone adult males sometimes joins in with a herd of female impalas. The impalas must welcome this higher set of eyes, nose and ears for even better observation. The gnu always gets on well with the impalas and they browse close together. They give each other respect and space. I've been watching one particular gnu and his female impala herd for 3 years now.
The young are also lighter, as you said. Like oryx and buffalo babies - they too are a light sandy brown colour for a few months, as it's easier for them to blend into the land/earth that way. It's makes them look so very cute though next to the darker adults.

These models are all super! The left hand side of the NewRay shows good detailing in the model with the mane and the wrinkles even though the paint job is typical NewRay unusual!
I like the Bandai calf, it's very cute and the nicely shaped Eikoh adult. Nice models! But I reckon the Starlux is such a beauty of the show. Very elegant and unusual and with slim strong legs.
You are right about the Britains being hard to stand, mine fall down too! and I like the style of model they made, it's a good shape.

I have the impressive Kitan models as well! I've got a couple of them and they look superb in a herd with Britains.
One day I will take a pic of all my gnus together. I may even make some babies for my herds too:)
Back to top Go down
Leyster

Country/State : Italy

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptySat Nov 04, 2023 7:50 am

Very interesting read, as usual!

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptySat Nov 04, 2023 12:42 pm

Since most of these are vintage, none of them are really 'gnu' Razz Cool
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptySat Nov 04, 2023 2:37 pm

My favourite are the Britains and Starlux, mine stand on their feet Wink

About the Britains, it was with this one that I started to have a grudge against the British brand: how could they produce such a well sculpted figure and ruin it with a barbarian paint job? It just pisses me off... What a Face
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptySat Nov 04, 2023 6:51 pm

Wonderful selection! cheers

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 05, 2023 10:19 am

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 05, 2023 8:06 pm

Just one on my four Britains ones does'nt stand well. Even if the Starlux  seems a little odd, it deserves our respect due to his great age! (and it is always possible to reduce a little its eyes! Laughing ) Here is a few produced species..
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 05, 2023 8:32 pm

sunny wrote:
thank you Roger, what a wonderful presentation!

Gnus are very playful in nature and always looking for opportunities to have fun (the wild herds that I watch!). They will spar with any other animal who is looking to challenge them and are always up for sparring sessions, and this includes oryx, other antelopes and yes - even warthogs!! They are also very curious and courageous and will always investigate something new. They will collectively chase away any predators in their vicinity.
Lone adult males sometimes joins in with a herd of female impalas. The impalas must welcome this higher set of eyes, nose and ears for even better observation. The gnu always gets on well with the impalas and they browse close together. They give each other respect and space. I've been watching one particular gnu and his female impala herd for 3 years now.
The young are also lighter, as you said. Like oryx and buffalo babies - they too are a light sandy brown colour for a few months, as it's easier for them to blend into the land/earth that way. It's makes them look so very cute though next to the darker adults.

These models are all super! The left hand side of the NewRay shows good detailing in the model with the mane and the wrinkles even though the paint job is typical NewRay unusual!
I like the Bandai calf, it's very cute and the nicely shaped Eikoh adult. Nice models! But I reckon the Starlux is such a beauty of the show. Very elegant and unusual and with slim strong legs.
You are right about the Britains being hard to stand, mine fall down too! and I like the style of model they made, it's a good shape.

I have the impressive Kitan models as well! I've got a couple of them and they look superb in a herd with Britains.
One day I will take a pic of all my gnus together. I may even make some babies for my herds too:)

Interesting to know, thank you Annette! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 05, 2023 9:48 pm

Thank you all for your comments!

sunny wrote:

Leyster recently asked about the Kitan gnu. I thought they were too small. Would you mind measuring their shoulder height?

Interesting information about gnu. Although we often see them in wildlife films, they seem a bit underrepresented as models for such a well-known animal.

bmathison1972 wrote:
Since most of these are vintage, none of them are really 'gnu' Razz Cool
They must be wildebeest then!

Kikimalou wrote:
About the Britains, it was with this one that I started to have a grudge against the British brand: how could they produce such a well sculpted figure and ruin it with a barbarian paint job? It just pisses me off... What a Face

Yes, they could have done better, though New-Ray shows that they could have done worse too. The only grudge I have against Britains is that they stopped making new animal models. Well, it's Ertl's fault really.

Caracal wrote:
Just one on my four Britains ones does'nt stand well. Even if the Starlux  seems a little odd, it deserves our respect due to his great age! (and it is always possible to reduce a little its eyes! Laughing ) Here is a few produced species..

Oh yes, it definitely deserves respect. I am very happy to have it. Does anyone have the Clairet gnu? And did you perhaps repaint a Britains gnu, Alain, so that we can see what a well painted one looks like?

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 05, 2023 11:54 pm

Quote :

Caracal wrote:

Oh yes, it definitely deserves respect. I am very happy to have it. Does anyone have the Clairet gnu? And did you perhaps repaint a Britains gnu, Alain, so that we can see what a well painted one looks like?

No I didn't yet, for I enjoy them like they are! Very Happy .. and I don't have the gnu from Clairet which is not so bad but hard to find.
Back to top Go down
Babdo

Babdo

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 10:00 am

Hello,
friends of Gnus.
I think the Gnu modell of Toy Major is also good for the scale 1:32.
Only the painting is not good.
Benno.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 10:51 am

The Starlux gnu looks somewhat like a zebu. I agree the New-Ray looks like the Britains but it is far from a copy in my opinion, I would say it is heavily inspired.
Eikoh models have always a slightly toyish touch, that's why I use to say that they are the Japanese figures which look more like the western major brands. Well, today major brands also tend to better proportions, maybe 15 years ago it was more like Eikoh.
Britains model is very realistic with a dynamic pose, the cake goes to the British brand.
I love wildebeests, they're always the first entering rivers infested with crocodiles. :The Starlux gnu looks somewhat like a zebu. I agree the New-Ray looks like the Britains but it is far from a copy in my opinion, I would say it is heavily inspired.
Eikoh models have always a slightly toyish touch, that's why I use to say that they are the Japanese figures which look more like the western major brands. Well, today major brands also tend to better proportions, maybe 15 years ago it was more like Eikoh.
Britains model is very realistic with a dynamic pose, the cake goes to the British brand.
So nice Beno showing the TM, it really seems to fit the scale.
I love wildebeest, they're always the first entering rivers infested with crocodiles. Laughing lol:

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptyTue Nov 07, 2023 9:48 pm

Yes, copy isn't quite the right word, but the New-Ray sculptor must have had the Britains gnu on his desk when he was sculpting the New-Ray. Perhaps a bit hard to see, but the pose, muscles and skinfolds of the New-Ray are very similar to the Britains.

The Toy Major gnu is 4.8/154 cm at the shoulder. It looks quite all right with the Britains, but if I put it into my 1/32 reserve, then Leyster's fossilised dinosaurs will chase it out.

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 12, 2023 3:30 pm

About fossilized dinosaurs, the Haolonggood Apatosaurus is 1:33 for the holotype (so ok as 1:32 for a sightly smaller specimen)

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 12, 2023 3:51 pm

Looks good! Am I right in thinking that this is a very large model, about 70 cm long? Yes, that will scare the gnu even if it is fossilised.

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 12, 2023 4:13 pm

Yes, it's really big, 55 cm long and I think it reaches 70 with a straightened tail. Here is it compared with the Eikoh african elephant:
An illustration by Andrey Atuchin, Apatosaurus is the one with the white and black banded neck, fifth/sixth (depending if you consider the Mamenchisaurus head as coming before it) from the left.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 12, 2023 5:24 pm

I have no knowledge about scales, but could be this porcupine in the right size

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 13, 2023 11:13 am

Leyster wrote:
Yes, it's really big, 55 cm long and I think it reaches 70 with a straightened tail. Here is it compared with the Eikoh african elephant:

It is a very nice comparison pic  Very Happy

widukind wrote:
I have no knowledge about scales, but could be this porcupine in the right size

If it is the lenght of the lego brick, it could match for a big porcupine.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 13, 2023 6:23 pm

The porcupine is probably a bit large. What is its length without tail? If it is smaller than 2.6 cm, then it's possible as a crested porcupine.

Great comparison of the Apatosaurus with the elephant. And this dino is small relative to its relatives. What is the largest dino you have in (roughly) 1/32 scale?

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 13, 2023 7:47 pm

Thank you [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I think this one is the largest 1/32 dinosaur I have!

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 13, 2023 8:23 pm

I will look

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2023 6:50 pm

Thanks, it would be great if there was a 1/32 scale porcupine. What brand is it?

widukind

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2023 7:02 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
The porcupine is probably a bit large. What is its length without tail? If it is smaller than 2.6 cm, then it's possible as a crested porcupine.

Great comparison of the Apatosaurus with the elephant. And this dino is small relative to its relatives. What is the largest dino you have in (roughly) 1/32 scale?

Sorry, it isnt in that scale. The length is 4,5cm . And no brand, a Chinamal

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2023 9:09 pm

Thank you, a bit larger than it looked.

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

1/32 scale animals second part
Page 6 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next