Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024

Go down 
+11
Ana
lucky luke
sunny
widukind
Jill
landrover
bmathison1972
Caracal
Joliezac
Roger
Kikimalou
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024 - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2024 8:41 pm

Yes, I collect the models I like, that's rule n°1, love first! I don't want to give up because of a problem of size or "pseudo-compatibility" too often heard in my life as a collector.
I don't collect by scale, I display by scale half of my collection, it's not the same thing.
In fact, it all started when I heard too many collectors claiming that such-and-such a manufacturer was harmonious for sizes, that such-and-such a model was compatible or not with such-and-such another. Most of the time, I knew it wasn't true, and these affirmations, asserted like eternal truths by people who hadn't bothered to check, made me angry.
In fact, when this mode of operation became automatic, things changed a bit, I no longer collected only toys but groups of animals that were supposed to give a satisfying set to look at. I quickly realized that it is good that some models be larger or much smaller to give depth to a shelf. It's also interesting to avoid having orphans that I can't group with others, at least for the pictures.
So today I happen to buy figurines because they seem to scale properly. There's always the same limit, obeying Law No. 1 !
For bears, I'm content with the measurements that you can find everywhere and not just Wikipedia and those who copy Wikipedia. When I have to choose between several scales, I choose the middle one to be stuck with average animals. Of course, if I want to present a species whose primary characteristic is gigantism or small size, then I can choose extreme values.
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2024 1:22 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Yes Annette, it takes along time to produce pics for such a topic, that's why I can't do one every week. Work, the necessities of life and family life obviously come before photo shoots.
I can only do it when I have enough free time. This week I was off work, I had planned to take care of the garden, but it rained like a cow is pissing almost every day... What luck, I was able to devote myself to this topic ! Laughing

Getting the angles just right for photographing is a big part of the sport. To be able to compare the size of animals as big as or bigger than us most effectively, the camera should ideally be placed at human eye level. At 1/25 this means that the center of the lens is between 6.5 and 7cm from the ground. For smaller animals, try to position the camera at their average eye level.
The problem is that when there are a lot of animals to compare, or when they're roughly the same size, the advice I've just given no longer works, because you can't distinguish one animal from another. In this case, you need to raise the camera above the mix.
Choosing the right angle is always a compromise between these two rules.
This means that for each photo, I must try to arrange the animals as harmoniously as possible, and also try to respect rule n°1 as best I can. Sometimes I have to make several attempts.  It also means that for each photo I have to adjust the height of my photographic tripod.
That's the most physical part of the job, after which all that's left for me to do is spend my time doing lab work on my computer, drinking too much coffee or tea. Sleep drunken Palmface  But I suppose, Annette, you know all that too.  Wink

About wolves and hyenas, Hokkaido wolves stood 70 to 80 cm at the withers, Spotted hyena stood 70 to 91.5 cm. What's more, the PV Hyena stands erect on its paws, while the Kaiyodo wolf bends down slightly as if on the hunt. Very Happy

Thank you Christophe, for reminding me about eye level when photographing them! I don't usually do that Wink ha ha. But then I mainly use my phone camera which is different from my last phone. My last phone was superb, focused on the subject at all times. But now my new phone's camera is far too smart for it to work perfectly. It also has an issue trying to focus on very small things, it keeps blurring up. I can see why some people resist technology and change.
Sometimes technology is too advanced to do a simple job correctly.

And finding a dedicated space to do photoshoots! I don't have one yet.
Whereas all your shots look so professional Very Happy cheers

Indeed it does take time, and all the editing... (where is the snoozing emoji??) Crocodile

I see the poses of the 2 models now! just a slight difference, but enough to have made me think.
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2024 1:37 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Yes, I collect the models I like, that's rule n°1, love first!

I quickly realized that it is good that some models be larger or much smaller to give depth to a shelf.

What a wonderful rule no1 is! That's my no1 rule too :)

and I think you are a natural artist Christophe - in displaying your groups together harmoniously. You have that touch.

Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2024 7:35 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Thank you Jean-Luc and Anna cheers

Well, Sloth bears and Giant panda have similar sizes in real life. The thing is, I can't have an infinite number of scales to develop. Both could be at 1/22 and are close to 1/30. In the middle is 1/25, where a giant Panda meets a Sloth bear slightly larger than itself, even though both are within the limits of the species. The reverse could just as easily have happened.

Good to know! Somehow I imagined Sloth bears were smaller but maybe because I've never seen them in real life 😆 And you know, panda has Giant in the name Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2024 9:17 pm

Well, this topic is a real joy.
I think I scrolled back up to look at all of the photos again at least 3 times.
It was like watching at good nature program on National Geographic. Laughing
Thank you for sharing.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024 - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 5:43 pm

Annette, I'm a good ol'time macaque monkey I began to make photos at around 12 or 14 years old with an old "but fabulous" Rolleiflex 6X6. At that time, no way to phone with your camera and no way to drink coffee in the photolab. Laughing
Technology is a good thing when it allows people to learn and improve, but unfortunately a lot of innovations are content to replace us today without allowing us to take control of what we do. When I was young, we used to draw the human of the future with a brain bigger than ours. I sometimes think that the future of humanity is to have a smaller brain, trapped in a technology that we can no longer control. affraid Wink
For a very long time I used natural light to make my photos, which meant waiting for a nice day and of course not being able to take any photos between late afternoon and mid-morning.
So I invested in an 80X80cm studio, the only constraint being that I don't have enough space and I have to dismantle it between two photo shoots.

sunny wrote:
and I think you are a natural artist Christophe - in displaying your groups together harmoniously. You have that touch.

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Yes Anna, someone's telling us jokes about giant pandas Laughing

Thank you Simone for scrolling and for your kind words cheers I will try to make more seasons soon Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Saien

Saien

Country/State : Slovakia

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024 - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 2:43 pm

This is an amazing topic and pictures cheers Applause Applause

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024 - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 6:06 pm

Thank you Andrea Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Concavenator

Concavenator

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024 - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 1:08 pm

Fantastic collection you’ve got. I once collected extant animals, too, but was limited to Schleich/Papo, so I’m seeing a variety of figures here I didn’t know of.

Neat selection of prehistoric creatures too!

DeviantArt

Instagram
Back to top Go down
https://www.deviantart.com/5aurophaganax
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024 - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 31, 2024 10:55 am

Thank you Concavenator Very Happy I hope I will have time to share my other scales soon Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/25 shelves - updated March 1 2024
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2