Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Aeglil

Aeglil

Country/State : Toulouse, France

Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ? Empty
PostSubject: Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ?   Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ? EmptyMon May 27, 2024 12:10 pm

I'm considering buying giraffe replicas to recreate savannah scenes.
But I'm afraid they are too small compared to my antelopes. I fell for the Collecta model with her calf. Is it too small? Which model is most accurate (morphologically, paintjob) ?

Here is a picture I found in the the Australian online store Minizoo.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Aeglil on Mon May 27, 2024 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ?   Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ? EmptyMon May 27, 2024 9:16 pm

CollectA giraffe is 1/25, Schleich Greater Kudu is not more than 1/22, Papo Wildebeest not more than 1/16, CollectA Black wildebeest or Springbock not more than 1/17... The best choice on the pic would be the Safari Ltd WW, who's still too small. I use a repainted Big AAA giraffe for my 1/20 savannah.  Very Happy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Aeglil

Aeglil

PostSubject: Re: Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ?   Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ? EmptyMon May 27, 2024 9:45 pm

Unfortunately, it's hard to get the old AAA model in Europe.

What scale is Safari's jumbo model ? Just a pity it has those broad feet.

Edit: after doing a quick research : 1:23
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ?   Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ? EmptyMon May 27, 2024 10:28 pm

Where did u found that scale ?
Back to top Go down
Aeglil

Aeglil

PostSubject: Re: Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ?   Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ? EmptyMon May 27, 2024 10:35 pm

Here in the forum, through Google
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ?   Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ? EmptyTue May 28, 2024 12:52 am

CollectA giraffe is probably the nicest model and perfectly painted. You have other great models like the Papo ones. It is relatively small when compared to most antelopes but it is taller than any of them and it looks nice displayed together. The average sized giraffe is usually much shorter than those measurements we can see on Wikipedia and other sources. Safari larger models might work better scalewise but in my opinion they're not as graceful as the CollectA model. Britains Ltd made a very accurate giraffe but the finish quality is not comparable with modern toys and it is smaller.

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ?   Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ? EmptyTue May 28, 2024 4:52 am

that's a great reference pic of the giraffes! The PNSO ones are very unusual but attractive, I've never seen them before (that I can remember).

I can see that it's quite hard to try and find to-scale versions of these modern brands.
I mainly collect 1/32nd scale (like Britains), but I hope you manage to find enough models to fit in.
Back to top Go down
Aeglil

Aeglil

PostSubject: Re: Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ?   Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ? EmptyTue May 28, 2024 7:33 am

Roger wrote:
CollectA giraffe is probably the nicest model and perfectly painted. You have other great models like the Papo ones. It is relatively small when compared to most antelopes but it is taller than any of them and it looks nice displayed together. The average sized giraffe is usually much shorter than those measurements we can see on Wikipedia and other sources. Safari larger models might work better scalewise but in my opinion they're not as graceful as the CollectA model. Britains Ltd made a very accurate giraffe but the finish quality is not comparable with modern toys and it is smaller.

100% agree. 

I shall stick to Collecta. Scale is obviously important, but not THAT important as I'm not planning to make dioramas (and having different scales on a diorama is also essential to create a sensation of perspective with larger scales in the foreground and smaller in the background). I just want to put a few ungulates from different parts of the world on display for decoration. 
And there's something too toyish about Safari's Wildlife Wonders giraffe that bothers me. IMO It's not as well done as their king size model of a moose, which is a nice reference.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ?   Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ? EmptyTue May 28, 2024 10:11 pm

The AAA looks great when it is repainted!

PostSubject: Re: Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ?   Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Which giraffe is the tallest scalewise ?
Page 1 of 1