Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to dust a shelf covered in figurines?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Shakinit4jesus

Shakinit4jesus

Country/State : Portland, OR, US

How to dust a shelf covered in figurines? Empty
PostSubject: How to dust a shelf covered in figurines?   How to dust a shelf covered in figurines? EmptyMon May 27, 2024 5:46 pm

If this is in the wrong forum feel free to move it!

I would love to show off my entire shelf of horses, but they've accumulated a bit of dust. It's not enough to bother me, as insofar as I'm aware dust is harmless, but since I'd like to post pictures, I want to show a clean shelf and clean horses! But I don't want to remove every single one, as I have over 180 packed pretty close together.

How do you go about solving this issue?

Schleich horses/unicorns/pegasus: 155
Mojo unicorns/pegasus: 4
Breyers stablemates/unicorn surprise: 26
Everything else: ????
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: How to dust a shelf covered in figurines?   How to dust a shelf covered in figurines? EmptyMon May 27, 2024 7:22 pm

Dusting is probably every collector's worst fear. Also just a warning, dust actually can be harmful. Over time it can turn to grime, especially if you are in a more humid environment. This can make your figures sticky and dirty, which makes it difficult or even impossible to clean properly depending on how bad it is.

Unfortunately, the best way to get clean your figures, would be to remove each horse, wipe it down with a cloth/wash it. Then wipe down the entire shelf. It is tedious, but the best way to clean figures. Using canned air will just move the dust around, not remove it. Using a swiffer will probably knock them all over.

I have over 2,000 figures in my collection, with most of them on display. I will frequently take turns taking each model off the shelf and wipe it down and dust the shelf underneath. I spend about an hour or so a week doing this, so it takes awhile. I did recently get an air purifier in my room though, so I will see how much that helps. Keeping windows shut and as much as possible and keeping your figures inside a case or cabinet also helps.

Sorry I couldn't have an easy answer but having clean figures is a constant challenge!

Animal Ark Website
Animal Figure Photography Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: How to dust a shelf covered in figurines?   How to dust a shelf covered in figurines? EmptyTue May 28, 2024 3:02 pm

Sorry, I am afraid I don't have a solution either. Because I want to avoid dusting, I only display my figures on a shelf behind glass. Glass display cases are more expensive than simple shelves, but I think they are worth the investment. Though for me an important reason is that I have many vintage models with fragile paint and regular dusting and cleaning isn't good for them.

PostSubject: Re: How to dust a shelf covered in figurines?   How to dust a shelf covered in figurines? Empty

Back to top Go down

How to dust a shelf covered in figurines?
Page 1 of 1