Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Smithsonian Giant Insects

Go down 
+5
Wildheart
Roger
SUSANNE
Sergey
K907
9 posters
AuthorMessage
K907

K907

Country/State : Kodiak, Alaska

Smithsonian Giant Insects Empty
PostSubject: Smithsonian Giant Insects   Smithsonian Giant Insects EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 12:29 am

These insects are beautiful, too bad Safari retired them (I don't know when they were retired). Here's pictures of them. You can sometimes find them in lots on ebay.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: Smithsonian Giant Insects   Smithsonian Giant Insects EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 12:41 am

K907 wrote:
These insects are beautiful, too bad Safari retired them (I don't know when they were retired). Here's pictures of them. You can sometimes find them in lots on ebay.

The beautiful and qualitative Insects! I collect some insects too! Wink

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Sergey on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
K907

K907

PostSubject: Re: Smithsonian Giant Insects   Smithsonian Giant Insects EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 12:42 am

Sergey wrote:
K907 wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Beautiful collection indeed! Love the butterflies.
Back to top Go down
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: Smithsonian Giant Insects   Smithsonian Giant Insects EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 12:47 am

[quote="K907"]
Sergey wrote:
K907 wrote:

Beautiful collection indeed! Love the butterflies.

...And one more! Wink [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Sergey on Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
K907

K907

PostSubject: Re: Smithsonian Giant Insects   Smithsonian Giant Insects EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 12:49 am

I love how you display them and mix them up with other critters. Once I have the money to redo my room, I'm going to display my collection in a neater way.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Smithsonian Giant Insects   Smithsonian Giant Insects EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 9:15 am

K907 wrote:

They are gorgeous Shocked
Yes, what a shame they are retired !
But I suppose they have to retire some figueres now and then, - we are all so eager to get new ones Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Smithsonian Giant Insects   Smithsonian Giant Insects EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 9:52 am

yes, we may not complain from Safari descontinuing some series. That's the brand with the widest range i know. But, to someone that only collects insects is surely hard to see that only CollectA is launching new models! What's new in 2011? A ladybird, wasn't it Kevin? :)
Back to top Go down
Wildheart

Wildheart

Country/State : Bucharest,Romania

PostSubject: Re: Smithsonian Giant Insects   Smithsonian Giant Insects EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 10:59 am

And bumblebee!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mihneanicolae.com
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Smithsonian Giant Insects   Smithsonian Giant Insects EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 1:24 pm

Wow, they are amazing, the butterflies are really beautiful - makes me want to collect them Shocked

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Smithsonian Giant Insects   Smithsonian Giant Insects EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 4:01 am

Safari said they have plans for a new insect (more than one?) in 2012. Not sure if I believe them until I see it :). For someone like me who does collect only insects, there is not much in 2011 but there is more than in 2010. Here are what I know of:

Takara Tomy: Scorpion set (6 + secret)
Takara Tomy: Insect trophy heads (I am not interested in this actually)
Bullyland: green huntsman spider
CollectA: lady beetle and bumblebee
Safari: honeybee and monarch life cycles (and the Venomous Creatures Toob has 3 arthropods)

May not be much, but it prevents me from filling up my house and spending too much money Very Happy

By the way, I have most of the Smithsonian Giant Insects (except monarch and larva) but they are among the best replicas around! Especially the lubber grasshopper and flea.

--BAM
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Smithsonian Giant Insects   Smithsonian Giant Insects EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 2:09 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Safari said they have plans for a new insect (more than one?) in 2012. Not sure if I believe them until I see it :). For someone like me who does collect only insects, there is not much in 2011 but there is more than in 2010. Here are what I know of:

Takara Tomy: Scorpion set (6 + secret)
Takara Tomy: Insect trophy heads (I am not interested in this actually)
Bullyland: green huntsman spider
CollectA: lady beetle and bumblebee
Safari: honeybee and monarch life cycles (and the Venomous Creatures Toob has 3 arthropods)

May not be much, but it prevents me from filling up my house and spending too much money Very Happy

By the way, I have most of the Smithsonian Giant Insects (except monarch and larva) but they are among the best replicas around! Especially the lubber grasshopper and flea.

--BAM

Thanks for your information and they are much more than I thought before! You are our really expert in insects! You must believe in SAFARI LTD, they usually pay atention to collectors and work in several series at the same time! Good luck! :)
Back to top Go down
Arrakai

Arrakai

Country/State : Ljungby - Sweden

PostSubject: Re: Smithsonian Giant Insects   Smithsonian Giant Insects EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 9:42 pm

Mmm, they look gorgeous, I especially like the giant centipede and the lubber grasshopper.

But it doenst seem like they have pics of all of them. The only one I have of them, the flea, isnt there.
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Smithsonian Giant Insects   Smithsonian Giant Insects EmptyThu May 17, 2012 8:37 pm

Are the Smithsonian insects the same size as regular Safari ltd insects? I am curious because I own the recent Safari ltd Monarch Butterfly; was the one retired in 1995 the same scale? question
Back to top Go down
Wildheart

Wildheart

Country/State : Bucharest,Romania

PostSubject: Re: Smithsonian Giant Insects   Smithsonian Giant Insects EmptyFri May 18, 2012 10:14 am

They are 2:1(twice the size of the real animal). There is also a leaf-insect in the series!

Safari does have many many hidden treasures whitin their series. I hope to find more of those someday. What a Face

Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Smithsonian Giant Insects   Smithsonian Giant Insects EmptyTue May 22, 2012 9:31 pm

Wildheart wrote:
They are 2:1(twice the size of the real animal). There is also a leaf-insect in the series!

Safari does have many many hidden treasures whitin their series. I hope to find more of those someday. What a Face

If they are twice the size of the real thing, then I conclude they must be bigger than the regular Safari ltd insects as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smithsonian Giant Insects   Smithsonian Giant Insects Empty

Back to top Go down

Smithsonian Giant Insects
Page 1 of 1