Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Animal news

Go down 
+21
Caracal
Tarunyada
Ana
arafan
JonasV
HKHollinstone
ken yeo
Taylcoel
Elros Alvar
Saarlooswolfhound
animalluvr6
Kristie
Philter4
Steve170
schleich61
Kikimalou
Roger
SUSANNE
Vivien
Mastiffcat
widukind
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Animal news   Animal news EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 3:49 pm

Just at this moment i read a interesting a nice text that new species of chameleon was discovered.
And so i think a topic with animal news is very interesting.

Here is the origin text with the chameleon:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

and in english:

Smallest Chameleon in the world discovered Braunschweig (dpa) – the smallest chameleons of the world have discovered researchers in Madagascar. Her body measures up to 16 mm, with a tail are up to 29 "The tiny reptiles are threatened with extinction," Miguel Vences fears from the Zoological Institute of the Technical University of Braunschweig. The tiny live in the dry leaf litter in forests and feeding on still smaller insects or mites. Be coloured Brown - "a pure Tarnfarbe", explains Jörn Köhler of the Landesmuseum Darmstadt. They didn't have the ability of Chameleon known to change color. The tiny Chameleon (Brookesia micra) on a match. © dpa/Jörn Köhler
Brookesia micra was called the case the felt on Vences and his colleagues from Munich, Darmstadt and San Diego on the African island in the Indian Ocean. Their discovery is published in the journal "PLoS ONE". "Brookesia is the given name and micra agrees on the size by itself," explains Frank Glaw of the Zoological Staatssammlung München. The smallest vertebrate in the world isn't Brookesia micra: "there are fish and frogs, which are even smaller, some measure only eight millimeter", Glaw says.
Overall, the scientists during their expedition have traced four new dwarf Chameleon species. Madagascar is known for its rich and unique fauna. "Nearly 300 frog species and 400 species of reptiles cavort in the rainforests, mountains and arid areas", explains Glaw. More than 40 percent of the 193 known Chameleon species live exclusively on the island off the East African coast. Also, the largest known Chameleon that 70 cm long becomes scarce, was there at home. Glaw and Vences have since their student days together about 140 species in Madagascar and was scientifically named.
Researchers know why Brookesia is micra as extremely small, yet not. The animal is found but apparently only on a very small islet - nosy Hara off the North coast of Madagascar. The extreme miniaturization caused many specializations of body plan - and they are very interesting for research, Glaw explains in a note to the study.
Invisible: Masters of camouflage

All newly discovered dwarf chameleons inhabit apparently only very small areas that are only a few square kilometres large in part. "One of the new ways, Brookesia desperata, is known only from a small rainforest, and although this area is officially under protection, exploitation is operated behind the scenes in the Interior of the reserve diligently," says Köhler of the Landesmuseum in Darmstadt, Germany. The future of the tiny reptiles is thus very uncertain.

Here is the origin text with the chameleon:

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mastiffcat

Mastiffcat

Country/State : California

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 6:09 pm

Cool! that they've been found, of course. not that it's endangered.

Vivien

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 6:14 pm

Laughing Laughing I just was on that website and was going to post it here,Andreas! Very Happy Very interesting! cheers cheers
And I think you posted the wrong german link Andreas Rolling Eyes so if anybody wants to read the german version:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 6:43 pm

What a terrific idea to make this subject, Andreas cheers
I hope and think it is going to be VERY interesting with lots of informatuion from the world of animals Very Happy

This tiny critter.. Shocked LOOK at it sitting on the tip of a match Very Happy drunken

Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 9:16 pm

I was reading it in BBC! :) While reading this kind of news sometimes I think they would be interesting to share in the forum as you are doing. But there are so many sources in the Internet that I'm never sure of if it is a good idea? Well, bad idea it is not for sure and it is nice to find some interesting scientific news in our favourite forum! Laughing
Even in a replica in real size this chameleon would result in a very small figure. Thanks for the link, the world is full of surprises! tongue
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 10:53 pm

Andreas, Vivien Wink I made the change on the first post Very Happy
Back to top Go down
schleich61

Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 7:36 pm

Last edited by schleich61 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
Steve170

Steve170

Country/State : United Kingdom

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 8:04 pm

schleich61 wrote:
If memory serves, the previously smallest chameleon known before this was a Brookesia in a very limited area of Madagascar. I remember seeing David Attenborough narrating sequences in the excellent recent BBC three-part Madagascar nature special which showed it moving across the forest floor. If I can find the documentary in my stored media, I will attempt to post this portion of it here.

I remember watching that too

widukind

widukind

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: hybrid sharks   Animal news EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 7:03 pm

World's first hybrid sharks before Australia discovered sharks can adapt apparently according to a study by new forms of pairing to climate change. Worldwide for the first time, scientists discovered now hybrid sharks, so offspring dissimilar parents. Spotted were the intersections of the Australian blacktip shark and the common blacktip shark off the Australian coast, as told the researchers. Hybrid-Hai before Australia: A miracle of evolution? © AFP/NSWDPI
According to the study by scientists at the University of Queensland and the James Cook University, it was the first time ever that a cross of two unequal sharks was discovered. As the researchers told the news agency AFP, this is a possible indication that predators can adapt to climate change.
The Australian blacktip shark is smaller than its's relative occurring also in other regions of the world and viable only in tropical waters. Its hybrid offspring were encountered, however, 2000 kilometres further South in much colder waters. So, apparently, the intersection is a method to extend the natural habitat.
Video killer whale attacking shark group
Battle near the beach: when to the hunted becomes the Hunter. > The pairing have impact on the entire world of sharks, said Jess Morgan of the University of Queensland in the AFP. "That's evolution in action." First results according to study hybrid sharks are relatively robust and able to reproduce, Colin Simpfendorfer supplemented from the James Cook University.
Should the hybrids compared prove to her parents more, they could prevail after according to Simpfendorfer. Now they accounted for up to one-fifth of the blacktip shark population in some places off the Australian coast, Morgan said.
Promotion

In addition to climate change as a possible cause of the emergence of the hybrid form, scientists of also the thesis go after that fishing forced the animals to seek other habitats. Also, the researchers using a genetic study of fish the question want to investigate whether the phenomenon is actually new or whether it was merely only now discovered. The study was published in the journal "Conservation genetics" in December.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 7:22 pm

WOW! Andreas this is fantastic !
It adds food for thought, - perhaps it is an addition the the thesis of "Survivla of the fittest" Shocked

It indicates why sharks have survived so such an incredibly long time !

Perhaps it also indicates why our fauna is so tremendously varied, - fertile hybrids could explain enormous jumps in evolution bounce bounce Shocked cheers

Shocked Shocked Shocked scratch study Shocked Gosh !!!!

schleich61

Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Last edited by schleich61 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 3:54 pm

Aaaarhw ! They are SO fascinating and beautyful drunken
I saw this on TV some time ago, thankyou for giving me a chance to see the gentle little lovers again cheers

Philter4

Philter4

Country/State : Back and forth between East and West coast of the U.S.A.

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 4:34 pm

widukind wrote:
World's first hybrid sharks before Australia discovered sharks can adapt apparently according to a study by new forms of pairing to climate change. Worldwide for the first time, scientists discovered now hybrid sharks, so offspring dissimilar parents. Spotted were the intersections of the Australian blacktip shark and the common blacktip shark off the Australian coast, as told the researchers. Hybrid-Hai before Australia: A miracle of evolution? © AFP/NSWDPI
According to the study by scientists at the University of Queensland and the James Cook University, it was the first time ever that a cross of two unequal sharks was discovered. As the researchers told the news agency AFP, this is a possible indication that predators can adapt to climate change.
The Australian blacktip shark is smaller than its's relative occurring also in other regions of the world and viable only in tropical waters. Its hybrid offspring were encountered, however, 2000 kilometres further South in much colder waters. So, apparently, the intersection is a method to extend the natural habitat.

In addition to climate change as a possible cause of the emergence of the hybrid form, scientists of also the thesis go after that fishing forced the animals to seek other habitats. Also, the researchers using a genetic study of fish the question want to investigate whether the phenomenon is actually new or whether it was merely only now discovered. The study was published in the journal "Conservation genetics" in December.

I am not sure what you meant by the phrase "the first time ever that a cross between two unequal sharks was discovered" but the two species involved in this discovery are what biologists call sister species. They are both types of blacktip sharks and are so closely related that before genetic DNA studies were done they were considered the same species.

I have some big problems with this and I have written an email to the publishers of the study, here is a link to the actual article:

I found it a great discovery but it really bothers me because I don't know much about this so when I see something that is not entirely true I wonder about the whole article. My one criticism on the article is naturally occuring hybrids are not that uncommon in the wild, queen blue angels hybridize commonly where the two live together. I can take anyone in a 10 mile stretch of Florida and find hundreds of hybrid angels, in fact between Hollywood Florida and Pompano Beach there are more hybirds then pure bred fish of either species. In other groups hybrids are also common, species of the genus Gallus (the wild jungle fowl that chickens came from) also hybridize anywhere two species live together (India has both Gallus gallus (the chicken) and G. sonerretii, and Java has G. gallus and G. varius) and in both places hybrids are common. I could keep giving examples but that is my point. One of the biologists quote is as follows:

“To find a wild hybrid animal is unusual,” the scientists wrote in the journal Conservation Genetics. “To find 57 hybrids along 2,000 km [1,240 miles] of coastline is unprecedented.”

With that said, the find is a fantastic one but I hate it when there are such a big mistake in the published article that now the biologists loses credibility and the study will lose importance in the scientific community.

Back to top Go down
http://philter4@d-web.com
Roger
Admin
Roger

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 8:35 pm

A white orca was spotted, something unusual! :)
See here the BBC article :) albino

widukind

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 8:37 pm

Roger wrote:
A white orca was spotted, something unusual! :)
See here the BBC article :) albino

Very interesting. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Kristie

Kristie

Country/State : USA

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 8:39 pm

That is quite interesting, Roger! Thanks for posting! Iceberg is beautiful! :)

-Kristie
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 8:40 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Aaaarhw ! They are SO fascinating and beautyful drunken
I saw this on TV some time ago, thankyou for giving me a chance to see the gentle little lovers again cheers

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 8:44 pm

That's interesting but I hope nobody from Papo reads that news or we will have another Papo repainting next year! geek albino ... and I'm sure it would sell a lot! What a Face

Admin
SUSANNE

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 9:12 pm

WOW!!!!
I wonder what colour the eyes of Iceberg have ?

Thankyou for this great link, Roger cheers

animalluvr6

animalluvr6

Country/State : United States, Arizona

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Animal News!   Animal news EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 2:42 am

Nice to see my favorite animal's population rising!
Some photos
Tables have turned!

I hope you enjoyed! Very Happy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~Anatole France
Back to top Go down
http://kelseys66.blogspot.com/
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 4:54 am

Wow such beautiful tigers! And good news on them coming back! My mom's favorite animal is a gorilla so that other link is very interesting, it just proves how intelligent animals really are! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Elros Alvar

Elros Alvar

Country/State : Spain

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 3:53 pm

Good tiger I like Cool Very Happy
Nice photos Very Happy Very Happy
Thanks Kelsey cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Taylcoel

Taylcoel

Country/State : United Kingdom

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 4:40 pm

thanks for the news! cheers cheers cheers

my website link is at the bottom [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://schleich-c.webs.com
widukind

widukind

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 4:49 pm

thanks for sharing Very Happy

Back to top Go down
animalluvr6

animalluvr6

Country/State : United States, Arizona

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 4:51 pm

Thank you Saarlooswolfhound and your welcome Alvaro, Coel, and Andreas! Tigers are so beautiful and Im glad to hear their population is rising up.Feel free to share your own animal news you find! Glad you enjoyed! Very Happy cheers

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~Anatole France

Last edited by animalluvr6 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://kelseys66.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

Animal news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animal news   Animal news Empty

Back to top Go down

Animal news
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next