Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Animals around your house...

Go down 
+82
rogerpgvg
Jill
Gecko08
costicuba
Bonnie
bmathison1972
Pardofelis
landrover
Advicot
Caracal
Taos
Bowhead Whale
SouthNoah
Anne from Norway
Takama
FluffySlipers
Viking Spawn
Wilorvise
Ana
SUSANNE
NightLioness
Roger
Dannelboyz
teardrop
A-J
QuollMate
arafan
LeeAnn
Tove
JonasV
Bloodrayne
koniminiatures
Isabeau
resti
NandO
Bernyto
GoldEagle
jarda
Fisva
ReinbowSchleich
trevok4
Ian
cattlecollector
Silver Unicornis
scot(t)
Saarlooswolfhound
Elros Alvar
carlysulli
Taylcoel
paleoferroequine
sortepletter
Sumo
krista
xfoxx
Cyhyraeth
ken yeo
animalluvr6
Arnaud
Vivien
Kiana84
schleich61
Schleich-US
SyLoBe
WILLYBACOMAN
Sergey
Rio
widukind
HKHollinstone
SchleichHorsesForever
Mastiffcat
skysthelimit
Philter4
Kristie
Siobhan
zbyszek
Nova
Lasersword1973
Admin
Kikimalou
Wildheart
aandmkw
Gabe
86 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next
AuthorMessage
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

Animals around your house... Empty
PostSubject: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 2:22 pm

As i mentioned in another tread, i would like to see the animals you see regularly in or around your house.
They can be pics taken by yourself, or family, or just from the internet if you like.
But pics taken by yourself would be the nicest of course.
As i live in an appartment-block, there are no possibilities to make pictures there, so i show you some pics of animals that come to the garden of my girlfriend almost every day, or at least regularly.

I don't own a good digital camera, so i take my pics with the cam on my cell-phone, which has 5 MPX.

You must know, that this garden is about 10 m long, and 5 m wide, typical for a Dutch garden, when your house is builded in rows next to eachother, as we see here most of the time.
This garden is filled with tiles, but with nice green edges of plants or hedges, and i made a cosy corner in the left and right back, where lots of birds and other animals show up.
There is a hedgehog, that is visiting us almost every day, when the ligt of the sun begins to fade.
In the very early morning there is a member of the martens-family, which i didn't see yet, but my girlfriend and neighbour-woman did, so he is still a mystery for me.
But next to these two mammals, we have lots of insects, like butterflies, and quit a few bird-species and some amphibians.
As you know, all animals are not easy to get close to, but here are some examples where i could.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The backside of the garden, with a build-up of street-tiles i made, to hide this little Eros statue, surrounded by some little trees.
Then lots of plant-pots, an old wooden bench, which i took from the rubbish(somebody threw it away), and a nice birdhouse, in the style of an old Dutch farmhouse(which we took from the rubbish too).

The left corner with the tile build-up

Here is the birdhouse in the right back corner of the garden, with a visiting great tit(Parus major).
We have 3 species of tits visiting the garden, next to this one, we have the little blue tit(Cyanistes caeruleus) all year too, and in the last months of the year and in the early months of the year, we have the long-tailed tit (Aegithalos caudatus) in little groups too.

This is the best pic i could make from the long-tailed tit last winter

This pic is taken from far away, but it shows a house sparrow(Passer domesticus) female, while a great tit is hanging on the ball of fat.
To bad, the sparrow numbers are going down fast(with 50% already around here), because the new style of house-building, doesn't give them good possibilities to make their nest(they like to make their nest under the roof-tiles).

Here is an older pic of a little group of house sparrows, that are inspecting an older breeding-house i hung up some years ago.
For 3 years in a row, the succeeded to bring up some youngsters there.
Now there is a more stabil one, which is shown here with an inspecting great tit.

This pair of collared doves(Streptopelia decaocto) is visiting the garden everyday, to get some seeds from the birdhouse.
They originate from the south of Europe, and got here in the early 1950s, and are always around people.
We have wood pigeons too, which is our biggest pigeon-species, but they are hard to get on pic, because they are shy.
Normally a bird from the woods and forests, but they are quit common in the cities too these times.

Another pic of the collared doves.

Last week, i we were sitting in the garden in the late hours, when i heard a lot of noise in the bushes at the end of the garden.
I suspected a hedgehog, who are famous to make lots of noise like there is a grown man walking through the bushes.
When i went to see, he was almost walking over my feet the first time.

Seen from the top.

Later he came back, and stumbled around the bushes, and came out for short, but the light was almost gone, so i had to take pics with flash, and then my cam on my cell-phone is just not enough to make any decent pics, but here he is again.
He was blinded by the flash for some minutes, so he gave me the opportunity to take some blurry pics.

Further, we have 2 or 3 species of amphibians, the common from(Rana temporaria), the green frog(Rana esculanta synklepton) and the common toad(Bufo bufo).
Outside of the breeding season, the live most of the time on land.
They like the shady patches in the garden, and were there is much leaf on the ground.
They love to sit in the flowerpots, specially after they are watered, much to the shock of my girlfriend, who is afraid of them, haha.
Here are some pics of the common frogs.
They have different colour-versions, from greenish to darkbrown.

The brown frog, a juvenile one.

Somewhat nearer.

Another little one.

Here is another little corner of the garden, where i made a build-up of broken tile pieces, to put different sizes of flower-pots there.
Under these tiles, lots of spiders, insects and frogs hide around.

Now i show you some of the butterflies and other insect, that fly around in the garden, and specially like to visit the butterfly-bush(Buddleja davidii), which attracts lots of them.

One of the many species of bumble-bees.

And one of the many species of dragon-flies, i believe it is the Lestus barbarus, but Blaine could answer this question i guess.

This butterfly is called small white(Pieris papae), and is very common around here.

This one is quit common too, and called peacock butterfly(Aglais io) which is obvious when you look at her.

Another pic of this species.

The third species i was able to take pics of, is the red admiral buttefly(Vanessa atalanta), which you see in big numbers too the last two months.

The next pictures, i took at the water-edge of a pond near my own house(about 500 m away), where these both goose-species did breed with succes.
Both species are quit common to our country now.
Of course you know the Canadian goose(Branta canadensis), which originates from North-America.
We have about 1000 breeding pairs here in Holland at the moment.
The other species on the pics, are the Egyptian goose(Alopochen aegyptiaca), which you see more and more in the Netherlands the last years.
There was a breeder in the late 1960's, which let them fly free, and now we have far over 1000 breeding-pairs too.
Typical is always, that you see them fly around in pairs only, but sometimes the congregate in bigger numbers outside the breeding season.
Actually, it is not a goose, but a so called half-goose or shel-duck(Tadorninae), and family of the common shelduck(Tadorna tadorna).
Here are some pics of both species.

Canadians.

One of them, very cocky and curious to see if i had some food for him.

A breeding pair of the Egyptian goose.

And their big group of youngsters, which hushed away when i tried to make a picture of them.

Last edited by WILLYBACOMAN on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 3:51 pm

Beautiful pictures Willy, your girlfriend has so many lovely creatures in her garden! The hedghog is gorgeous! I've only ever seen one once in person! They are so cute.
I will upload some pictures in a minute...
Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Gabe

Gabe

Country/State : NY

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 3:58 pm

I feed Canadian geese every weekend in my local park. They eat right from the palm of my hand, so I have an opportunity to stroke them... Razz They are adorable creatures.

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks Harriet! Yes, she has.
You can find hedgehogs in almost every garden around here, they walk around a lot.
You just have to wait until the light is fading away, and sit quit in your garden, the noice they make will give them away...
Yes, tigerstrike, they can become quit tame indeed, i didn't try that on them, i just made some quick pics.

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 4:52 pm

Here's some of mine, taken in my garden, I hope they're not too big...
Tortoiseshell (below and above)
Bumble Bee

Last edited by HKHollinstone on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 4:55 pm

Great pic Harriet, a little bit to big, but not too much, like mine from the zoo's... Embarassed

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 4:56 pm

WILLYBACOMAN wrote:
Great pic Harriet, a little bit to big, but not too much, like mine from the zoo's... Embarassed
I just resized some of Tortoiseshell so I've added that to my post again, as you see, sorry the bee was too big, I'll resize it Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 5:37 pm

And some more. Frogs, I don't know what type, but it was mating season and there were at least 14 in my pond, it was incredible, the noises they made it was so loud!
Some more buttflies...
A Comma
Painted Lady Above and below
A rather battered looking Peacock butterfly
And finally a Ringlet
Back to top Go down
aandmkw

aandmkw

Country/State : Gardendale, TX

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 6:46 pm

Beautiful photos Willy and Harriet. I love hedgehogs. They are so cute. I love all the pictures of the butterflies. They are so beautiful, each one a work of art. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Gabe

Gabe

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 7:10 pm

Beautiful photos everybody!
I'll post some photos too from the good days when photography was my passion...

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 7:35 pm

Thank you Gabe and Amy. Look forward to seeing your photographs Gabe!
Back to top Go down
Wildheart

Wildheart

Country/State : Bucharest,Romania

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 8:50 pm

What type of camera/lens you use,Harriet?Your pics are huge,detailed and beautiful!Even those tiny insects!

Great garden,Willy!I bet you like it as much as your girlfriend does!It's so calm and natural!Cute hedgehog and tits!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mihneanicolae.com
Gabe

Gabe

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 11:25 pm

Well, here is my contribution:

That's all for now! tongue

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 12:07 am

Very beautifull pictures Harriet and Gabe!
And great quality too!
And thank you all for your nice comments!
I can only do what the cam on my cell-phone allows me to make.
Of course i do enjoy the garden as much as my girlfriend, i do a lot of work in it too, to keep it nice, or to make it even nicer.
So much changed since i came there over the last 5 years.
Actually, we made most from scrub, and old stuff, but this gives a garden much more character, then all of the new stuff.
We use a lot of plant cuttings from other people, and plant them in this garden, or in pots.
But i am envious for people, who have big area's around their houses, with big gardens, and lots of nature around them.
Only the happy few,and people with a very good income can do that overhere, because they can afford to buy a big house with a big garden.

Last edited by WILLYBACOMAN on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gabe

Gabe

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 1:07 am

Thanks Willy!

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 1:46 am

Here we see too, that we all are nature and animal-lovers, because next to the models we collect, we all visit zoo's and are making pics of the natural world around us... cheers

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 9:11 am

WILLYBACOMAN wrote:
Very beautifull pictures Harriet and Gabe!
And great quality too!
And thank you allfor your nice comments!
I can only do what the cam on my cell-phone allows me to make.
Of course i do enjoy the garden as much as my girlfriend, i do a lot of work in it too, to keep it nice, or to make it even nicer.
So much changed since i came there over the last 5 years.
Actually, we made most from scrub, and old stuff, but this gives a garden much more character, then all of the new stuff.
We use a lot of plant cuttings from other people, and plant them in this garden, or in pots.
But i am envious for people, who have big area's around their houses, with big gardens, and lots of nature around them.
Only the happy few,and people with a very good income can do that overhere, because they can afford to buy a big house with a big garden.
Thanks Willy! You've done a brilliant job on your garden, it looks lovely! And it's obvious the wildlife love it too!
I love having a garden, especially for seeing wildlife, but also for growing your own food, we have lots of vegetables growing, in the cabbages the cabbage White Butterfly is trying to lay her eggs. It doesn't matter though, we still have plenty covered over.
BEAUTIFUL pictures Gabe, you are a pro at Photography! The Dragon fly is stunning.
Here's something I saw in the garden yesterday. I heard it first but amazingly I found it. I happened to have my camera on me so I got a few pics...
grasshopper/cricket of some kind
A common pheasant last winter, he was feeding on some grain under the bird feeder, later I put more out for him.
This is our stream which runs at the bottom of the garden, we have ducks and they love it here. My brother planted the Willow on the left from a small branch and it sprouted! Now it's over sixteen feet tall. They grow very quickly.

Last edited by HKHollinstone on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 am

This is "Happy feet" (named after the Penguin film, she used to put her feet up and down when she was standing still, that was when she was a duckling, it was in excitement I think) having a bath in the stream. We get little fish and frogs here.
Creamy on the left and Happy feet at right, they're sisters these two
We have a little bridge which my brother and dad made. That's our little Call drake swimming down there, here's a better pic of him
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 9:29 am

Wildheart wrote:
What type of camera/lens you use,Harriet?Your pics are huge,detailed and beautiful!Even those tiny insects!

Great garden,Willy!I bet you like it as much as your girlfriend does!It's so calm and natural!Cute hedgehog and tits!
I use a Nikon 18-70mm and my camera is a D70 Nikon Wink

Last edited by HKHollinstone on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wildheart

Wildheart

Country/State : Bucharest,Romania

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 9:36 am

Awesome ducks!I love Happy-feet!Thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mihneanicolae.com
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 9:40 am

Wildheart wrote:
Awesome ducks!I love Happy-feet!Thanks for the info!
Your welcome and thanks!
Back to top Go down
Gabe

Gabe

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 4:10 pm

Thanks Harriet.
I think you live in Heaven... Very Happy

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 4:22 pm

TigerStrike wrote:
Thanks Harriet.
I think you live in Heaven... Very Happy
Laughing
Back to top Go down
aandmkw

aandmkw

Country/State : Gardendale, TX

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 3:20 am

Beautiful pictures Harriet and Gabe. They are so detailed. I love close-ups. I got spoiled with my sister's camera, now I have to save some money and buy a Nikon.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 8:54 am

Another topic I missed until today Sleep

Very fine pics, everybody cheers

No garden for me and no animals in my street but I made some pics when I spend time walking around in the countryside I can show if you think it isn't off topic Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Animals around your house...   Animals around your house... Empty

Back to top Go down

Animals around your house...
Page 1 of 35Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next