Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to make an extra shelf for figures

Go down 
+11
Katty
krista
HKHollinstone
SUSANNE
Kikimalou
scot(t)
Kristie
Tiermann
Ana
widukind
xfoxx
15 posters
AuthorMessage
xfoxx

xfoxx

Country/State : Finland

How to make an extra shelf for figures Empty
PostSubject: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 9:08 am

I don't know what would be the proper place for this thread, so feel free to move it elsewhere, dear admins :)

We all know how most bookshelves are designed for things like.. books Laughing Or anything bigger than most animal figures. Of course there are also those that have smaller height between the shelves, but they are harder to find or might be very expensive. (I was supposed to get two proper vitrines already a week ago, but since they are late, I got impatient Very Happy )

There is often extra space above the figures, and you wish you had extra shelves to put in between the existing ones, to have more places for your figures. I noticed how some people on this forum had added really nice glass shelves, but I couldn't find any of those. But then I got the idea to make this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It was very easy to make, so I decided to share the instructions with you. All you need is an old cardboard box (I guess collectors have those everywhere!), scissors, glue, and some paint and/or fabric (I used both). I didn't even really measure anything, but of course you could do that too. Here's how it looked in the beginning:

I didn't have enough of that fabric to cover all the sides, so the "inside roof" I just painted. The backside didn't get either fabric or paint, because there wasn't enough of paint either Rolling Eyes I think it turned out quite nice anyway. Here it is ready and with some figures showing the size:

It also solved my problem of having a very boring, black vitrine!

I think it's nice to be able to recycle things so it made me really happy to find use for this old piece of fabric and the cardboard box. I hope you like it too and got some DIY-ideas yourself! Hopefully this thread continues with your ideas and photos!

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 9:18 am

A good idea Very Happy

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 9:46 am

Very good idea! Perhaps it will be very useful for me in near future too Very Happy :) Thanks for sharing :)

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Tiermann

Tiermann

Country/State : Oregon, USA

PostSubject: Re: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 9:47 am

Great idea, and nice job on that shelf, looks great

Animobil.info Playmobil Animals
Back to top Go down
http://www.animobil.info
Kristie

Kristie

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 10:31 am

Noora, that's a great idea!

I have the same problem. I have these large bookcases. It is senseless NOT to use them, but it does make it hard to display the collection.

I hope you don't mind my sharing some photos of the ideas I've come up with. :)

Bricks!

Garden wall stones.

My husband complains that they are too heavy, but really they are not! Wink

-Kristie
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Really nice idea Noora! Thank you so much for the pictures and the instructions.

I also like your set up Kristie! May I ask you a question about your figures? I'm curious to know what two of your Elephants are. They are in the last pictures, on the bricks, next to each other, and they are just to the right of the Papo African Cape Buffalo. The first looks like an African Bull and the other looks like a calf perhaps, raising its trunk. What brands are those?

Back to top Go down
Kristie

Kristie

PostSubject: Re: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 2:05 pm

Thanks Scott!

The African Bull is the new 2012 Schleich and the littel guy beside him is Bullyland. :)

-Kristie
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 2:14 pm

Very good ideas Noora and Kristie, I like very much imaginative collectors Very Happy

Collecting is one thing... Showing a collection is a real job ! I hope we will see more ideas in this great topic cheers
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Kristie wrote:
Thanks Scott!

The African Bull is the new 2012 Schleich and the littel guy beside him is Bullyland. :)

-Kristie

Thank you Kristie! (I wondered if it might be the new Schleich.)

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 2:37 pm

This is a WONDERFUL subject cheers
Thankyou, Noora for bringing it flower
And thankyou Kristie for catching the idea. flower

I do not have any smart ways to exhibit my models, they just stand everywhere, I can surely use all the inspiration in the world Very Happy Wink

HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 3:40 pm

This is a fantastic topic, just what I needed as I'm stuck to know what to do with mine, thanks Noora!! cheers cheers

Bricks is a neat idea Kristie! Although I couldn't put them in mine as they'd scratch the glass.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Kristie

Kristie

PostSubject: Re: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 3:45 pm

HKHollinstone wrote:
This is a fantastic topic, just what I needed as I'm stuck to know what to do with mine, thanks Noora!! cheers cheers

Bricks is a neat idea Kristie! Although I couldn't put them in mine as they'd scratch the glass.

Yeah, they scratch wood, too. scratch

-Kristie
Back to top Go down
krista

krista

Country/State : finland

PostSubject: Re: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:14 pm

Thanks for making this topic, Noora!
Really nice figure shelf!

Also, thanks Kristie for showing your imaginative way of displaying figures!

I'm looking for all kinds of creative ideas to display my figures.. Atm they're at my bookshelf, but it doesn't make them look good and the books/dvds are annoying to get from the back...

Katty

Katty

Country/State : New Zealand

PostSubject: Re: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:16 pm

Excellent idea's Noora and Kristie. It's funny you guys meantioned this. I just woke up this morning and looked at my shelves and thought, I need some more! Now I have some clever ides's! Thanks guys!! :)
Back to top Go down
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 3:12 pm

I did mines with wood panels. DOn´t have a good pic, but I can show you the down floor and the up floor Razz

Visit my art gallery at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
ToxicHyena

ToxicHyena

Country/State : Mechanicsville , Maryland, USA

PostSubject: Re: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 4:10 pm

VERY innovative Thank you for sharing with us!
I wont forget how to do this anytime soon! exclamation

Quote :
Collector of all things Spotted Hyena!
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/people/87962687@N03/
Kiryuha

Kiryuha

Country/State : Kyiv, Ukraine

PostSubject: Re: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 am

A very rational idea, Noora!
I'd only advise you to use a more natural looking fabric or adhesive film - grayish like a rock or greenish like a hill.
I used an almost similar approach when I decided to add some altitude capacity and depth to my shelf displays. I just glued together some carton boxes and wrapped them with adhesive film: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Here's the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

http://community.livejournal.com/animal_figures/
Kiryuha

Kiryuha

Country/State : Kyiv, Ukraine

PostSubject: Re: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 10:12 am

Kristie wrote:
I have the same problem. I have these large bookcases. It is senseless NOT to use them, but it does make it hard to display the collection.
I hope you don't mind my sharing some photos of the ideas I've come up with. :)
Bricks!

My husband complains that they are too heavy, but really they are not! Wink
-Kristie
Your bricks idea is very interesting and unusual, Kristie! And the bricks with holes look really good. Although to me they seem to be too heavy, as well. :)

http://community.livejournal.com/animal_figures/
Steve170

Steve170

Country/State : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 4:50 pm

Not just practical but it also looks very nice :)

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to make an extra shelf for figures   How to make an extra shelf for figures Empty

Back to top Go down

How to make an extra shelf for figures
Page 1 of 1