Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou

Go down 
+7
PeGe
widukind
landrover
SUSANNE
Ana
Joan Milelire
Kikimalou
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou Empty
PostSubject: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 8:49 am

The discussions about the MOJÖ FUN croc gave me the idea to walkaround this excellent model : The 1998 SAFARI Ltd American alligator.

The American alligator (Alligator mississippiensis) is a large crocodilian reptile endemic to the Southeastern United States. It isthe largest of the two living species in the genus Alligator, the other one is the Chinese alligator. The American alligator inhabits freshwater wetlands, such as marshes and cypress swamps from Texas to North Carolina. It is distinguished from the sympatric American crocodile by its broader snout, with overlapping jaws and darker coloration, and is less tolerant of seawater but more tolerant of colder climates.

Alligators are apex predators and consume fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals. Juveniles feed on invertebrates. Alligators also play important roles in wetland ecosystems through the creation of "alligator holes" which provide wetter or drier habitats for other organisms. During the breeding season, males bellow and use infrasound to attract females. Eggs are laid in a nest of vegetation, sticks, leaves, and mud in a sheltered spot in or near the water. Young are born with yellow bands around their bodies and are protected by their mother.

The name alligator is an anglicized form of el lagarto, the Spanish term for "lizard", which early Spanish explorers and settlers in Florida called the alligator.

American alligators typically range between 4 and 4.5 m (13 and 14.8 ft) for adult males and under 3 m (9.8 ft) for adult females.

The SAFARI Ltd figurine scale is nearly 1:21  Wink

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

With the SCHLEICH Challenger

With the PAPO Nile croc

Last edited by Kikimalou on Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Joan Milelire

Joan Milelire

Country/State : Catalonia

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 9:16 am

Excellent model. I'm thinking in adding an alligator to my collection. The Schleich one was in the number one... until I read this post Laughing But the model that nowadays sells Safari is the same mould but different painted, isn't it? study scratch

my handmade models: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]     my models in facebook: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://bestiari.weebly.com/
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 9:25 am

Thank you Joan, I think the painting is still the same, my model is not so old scratch

Nevertheless, if you need only one Alligator you must get the SAFARI Ltd Cool
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 10:07 am

Wow, great model :) And it's on the current catalog? I wouldn't notice him :) hah, now I think I need it also Laughing

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Joan Milelire

Joan Milelire

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 10:38 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Thank you Joan, I think the painting is still the same, my model is not so old scratch

Nevertheless, if you need only one Alligator you must get the SAFARI Ltd Cool

well, then the picture in the Safari web is VERY bad Laughing Laughing

my handmade models: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]     my models in facebook: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:05 am

Is that the same one ? affraid

landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 4:47 pm

This alligator is very well manufactured,

Thanks for sharing

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 5:09 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Is that the same one ? affraid

scratch , I think I bought mine HERE
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 7:56 pm

A nice animal!! Thanks for sharing cheers cheers cheers

If anybody is interested, my local friend can one give up. Very Happy

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
PeGe

PeGe

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 8:11 pm

thanks! i finally decided to get it. You can tell your friend about that,..Very Happy
i especially like the dorsal view, although the pose is similar to neverending "attacking big cat" poses,....

ken yeo

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 6:39 am

I think it look better than the website!

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 6:35 pm

PeGe wrote:
thanks! i finally decided to get it. You can tell your friend about that,..Very Happy
i especially like the dorsal view, although the pose is similar to neverending "attacking big cat" poses,....

Okay Very Happy

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 1:16 am

Ha, another croc singing Fado! Wink
It is nice that you decided to make a walk around about a modern 14 years old figure! Very Happy
I have the Schleich alligator, a nice gift that I received from Susanne, together with the Schleich garial. Both has the traditional cuteness of Schleich what doesn't work very well in crocodilians! Laughing
Anyway I'll keep them! About the Safari figure, I was already very interested in it although it is the first time I see it so nicely! The figure got correctly the typical shape of alligators, its unmistakable smile and snouth. Also the painting is more interesting than I expected. A good figure compared with the Schleich rival and also when compared with most of Safari figures available in 1998. Thanks for your fantastic pictures! Very Happy

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 6:42 am

Laughing 14 years old is not so old Laughing For singing Fado of course Wink
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 5:35 pm

These are the 2 alligators,the one at the back is the 1997 model and the other the newer model-as you can see there are slight differences
The other pic is of the 2 alligators with the Safari crocodile for comparison.[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
Back to top Go down
Joan Milelire

Joan Milelire

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 10:14 pm

Hello Christophe,
after a good week (I buy the safari alligator - the old coloured one- and found the schleich one really cheap) I have the two alligators just now in my hands Cool , but now I have some doubts about something.
On the schleich one, the shape of the head on its top view, is totally wrong, but very similar to the Chinese alligator

Alligator mississippiensis

Alligator sinensis

Maybe the schleich sculptor was based in a chinese alligator question

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 11:48 pm

There is another variant. I like this one best.
(P.S. let me know if the pic works, they changed Photobucket, so not sure that the link will work, Thanks)
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 9:26 pm

Abu Rai wrote:

On the schleich one, the shape of the head on its top view, is totally wrong, but very similar to the Chinese alligator

Alligator sinensis

Maybe the schleich sculptor was based in a chinese alligator question

I agree it looks like the Chinese alligator top view, maybe still a bit different from the side view confused

Maybe it is a Schleichnese alligator ? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Joan Milelire

Joan Milelire

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 9:52 pm

Kikimalou wrote:

I agree it looks like the Chinese alligator top view, maybe still a bit different from the side view confused

Maybe it is a Schleichnese alligator ? Laughing

For sure! lol! and I think there are more Schleich*** rare species :) Biologists must be aware of the news from Schleich Laughing

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 9:23 am

Taos wrote:
These are the 2 alligators,the one at the back is the 1997 model and the other the newer model-as you can see there are slight differences

I can see different paintings but do you mean the model itself is different ?
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 2:51 pm

No, I have the same croc that you do kiki, it is the old color job, then they made an albino, the other one I have, then there is the last paint job which taos has, where the tanish color covers more of the head. Just pointing out that there three variations of this croc, and since no one posted the albino, I thought I would.
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
PeGe

PeGe

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 4:37 pm

it's not an albino. i like Schleichnese Alligatörchen Twisted Evil

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 9:04 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
No, I have the same croc that you do kiki, it is the old color job, then they made an albino, the other one I have, then there is the last paint job which taos has, where the tanish color covers more of the head. Just pointing out that there three variations of this croc, and since no one posted the albino, I thought I would.

PeGe wrote:

What a precision Philipp! It is not an albino but it is something else! Laughing
Those are leucistics, here a Wikipedia link for those that are interested in reading the differences - Click here! study albino :)

PeGe

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 8:30 am

Roger wrote:
Saarlooswolfhound wrote:

PeGe wrote:

What a precision Philipp! It is not an albino but it is something else! Laughing
Those are leucistics, here a Wikipedia link for those that are interested in reading the differences - Click here! study albino :)
Thank you Rogério Cool Laughing
indeed, it's not only leucistic but. business,....
Those creatures are traded for a lot of money although they have serious problems with UV-light,....

PostSubject: Re: Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou   Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou Empty

Back to top Go down

Alligator 1998 Wild Safari Wildlife, walkaround by Kikimalou
Page 1 of 1